Keldyn buys a Digital Camera

Hi

Well, I am about to make my first step into the world of digital cameras. I have done some research and have finally settled on the Canon Digital IXUS 400. I was going to purchase the IXUS v3 but canon have informed me they are phasing that model out in favor of the 400.

For me this camera has a good blend of features, performs well and is attractive and stylish. I was most interested in picture quality, size, resolution, battery life, ease of use and performance under varying light conditions. All the reviews I have read about this particular camera praise it right across the board so I am confident I will be getting a sound product. I don't want it to be obsolete in say the next 6 months and so needs to last me a good few years.

I am interested in hearing your opinions on this camera and perhaps if you can suggest any good alternatives before I commit myself to the purchase?

Thanks guys.

IXUS 400 Review and Specs

post-55-1065462634.jpg

heh, no hotlinking allowed. Nice choice of cameras though as I know a lot of people who've had older models of that camera and have had no problems with it. I definitely like the design and size of that camera. I don't think you can really go wrong with getting a Canon camera as they're pretty good in quality. 4 Megapixels is pretty decent as you'll be able to get quality pictures which you could print out and have them look nice. Even though there's cameras with 5+ megapixels now, 4 megapixels is on the higher end so the camera should last you a good while. I'd stick with the canon.

Even though there's cameras with 5+ megapixels now, 4 megapixels is on the higher end so the camera should last you a good while. I'd stick with the canon.

Yeah that is what I figure. To me, anything higher than 4MP is overkill. Unless you are something of a pro photographer who likes taking shots at insane resolutions, why would you even need that many pixels? There is only so much the human eye can discern. I would have been happy with 3 MP even. Atleast I know the camera has the potential should I ever need it.

I am really impressed with the design too. I got to play with one for a brief time today and was amazed. The thing is seriously no bigger than a credit card lol.

Thanks for your comments!

I just got this camera earlier this week. Being from the U.S. its the 'Elph' and not the 'Ixis' but other than that they are exactly the same. I like the camera a lot. Ive had 3 digital cameras so far and even though Ive only had it a few days it is my favorite of the 3. If you want a nice and easy point and shoot camera with good picture quality then you will be happy. This camera lacks some of the more advanced settings and features some of the other high end cameras offer but that was not important to me since i just wanted something easy. My only recommendation would be to get a fairly large compactflash card. I have a 256mb card and I wouldnt really recommend anything lower, especially if you use the movie mode.

<snipeed>I just got this camera earlier this week. ..........

I have a 256mb card and I wouldnt really recommend anything lower, especially if you use the movie mode....

Thanks for your comment. Because you actually own this camera could you perhaps tell me what the response time is like? From the moment you push the shutter how long until the camera takes the shot? What is your typical battery life average?

As for the movie mode, I am not too concerned. If i wanted to take video I would have got a video camera :)

Response time is the best out of all my cameras. Once you push the power button the camera is ready to take pictures in no more than 2-3 seconds. As for battery life, since I only got the camera a few days ago Im still on my first charge.

The batteries for the camera should be pretty good since they're rechargable lithium ions. While you can do things like take off the view screen for shots, or not using the brightest flash in some situations, the battery should last you a good while. It's nice that you don't need to actually go out and buy lithium batteries and can just plug the battery for this into a charger.

Keldyn.. thats exactly the same camera i've been looking at. Unfortunately in Canada its $700 (before 15% tax) and thats a little out of my price range.

So I was looking at alternatives that wouldn't sacrifice too much but would save me a little money. I was looking through reviews, and the Canon PowerShot A70 looks quality, and its also $200 cheaper here (before tax) Maybe you'd want to take a look?

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a70-60/index.html

(a70 no a60 ;) oh and be sure to click the "Sample Images" link on the left to see the kind of quality you can expect. powerful camera if you ask me.)

I have a FujiFilm FinePix A101 1.3Mega Pixels [?120] Its Ok. nothing special, but i guess for the price its average. The Battery life is appaling. It uses 2 AA batteries and without the LCD screen on it takes around 5-15 mins after it being turned on and its dead without taking pics. When the LCD is on it lasts about 1-3 mins MAX! I think yours will be alot better then mine though, should be no worries:))

thats bad... k man- your cam looks vvvvv nice!

A spyder- i think i might get one of those - cheap but good quality- im going to peru for a month so want to take a good camera to get some decent pics...

Keldyn..  thats exactly the same camera i've been looking at. 

lmao Why doesn't that surprise me? ;) Funny you mention the a70. It was another camera I looked at today whilst shopping around. Actually got to play with it too :) There are 3 on my list at the moment. The IXUS 400, the a70 and the Olympus MJU 300 Digital. That is one sweet camera. (Y)

Yeah, I am a little peeved about the pricing of the IXUS 400. Down here in Australia it is selling for $1099 but I have talked them down to $929 so far. Now I just need to make up my mind which one to get.

I got a Kodak DC290 it is bad A$$. I would buy a new camera if they were built like my Kodak. the only thing that is missing is LIO batteries. Cannon is a very good camera I have Eos Rebel best Camera I have ever owend.

I went for the MJU 300 while down at Heathrow (Duty Free :)) and a very nice camera it is... it has a lovely aluminium body and has a nice sturdy design and weight to it.

I really like the Olympus cameras in general, as they are very simple to use - and have some useful features like the Panoramic mode and the MJU 300/400 have a remote control rather then depending on the self-timer! The LI-ion battery is a superb addition to the camera and lasts ages - flash or no flash!

My only complaint about the MJUs is that the XD memory cards are too small, not ?Mb? wise but ?dimension? wise! The cards are only about 2cm x 1.5cm - very easy to lose...! I have just ordered the carry case for it - but at ?25 it is very expensive - it had better be gold plated!

Colin

nice buy

canon got the best lenses, and sweet cameras.

oh, and my dad works for canon :)

BIASED OPINION ALERT! :D lol j/k

Keldyn: I have an Canon Powershot (same line that your camera, but older), and I recomend you to buy a camera not so compact (I love the G3).

The camera is excellent, but sooner you may want to play with different switches (exposition times, etc), and you have to enter into the funtion menu, select the new switches and shot, this is a problem when you are in the field.

just my 2 cents