Why did you download or install Windows 2003?

What did you download or install Windows 2003?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. What did you download or install Windows 2003?

• for... Active Directory
    • for... Windows Media 9 Services.
    • for... Routing and Remote Access.
    • for... Internet Information Services 6.0
    • for.. Virtual Private Networking Services
    • for... Terminal Services
    • for... Distributed File System
    • for... Running a Microsoft SQL Server...
    • for...playing games....
    • for... just having the next thing and turning it back into Windows XP because you can...

i'm just wondering, why everyone did actually install Windows Server 2003.

I'm really curious to see who is actually using this product for its intended purposes..

Is everyone Game?

I download it to use the Active Directory Directory Services, so i can keep my parents at bay on the home network. lol :D

Gotta Luv that GPO. :)

:)

i personally have yet to install a game on this OS, and i assume i never will. i tried it to learn more about networks and IIS mostly, since i am starting college this fall and going into networking.

I download it to use the Active Directory Directory Services, so i can keep my parents at bay on the home network. lol :D

That sounds interesting - I initially used it for setting up an ftp and http server, but this would be useful too.

I use Windows Server 2003 for:

• Webserving (using IIS 6.0)
  • FTP serving (using Serv-U)
  • Domain Controller (using Active Directory)
  • Mailserving (using Exchange Server 2003 Beta 2)
  • Sharepoint Team Services
  • Fileserving
  • Roaming Profiles
  • 24/7 FTP & IRC leeching

why am i not suprised that the poll lead is all the people who just don't need it. :laugh:

I just wanted to download it and see what it was all about, so I signed up for the RC1 & RC2 program.

I am a Computer Technician / Network Engineer, so its my job to know about this kinda thing.. it only benefits me even more if I learn about it before it comes out!

Well for me it's 2 fold..I have it on 2 computers...one is used for real server duty...so I DLed it for the latest improvements for the server...the other computer is a desktop...so I DLed it for that one only for the pure joy of ****ing everyone off that ****es and moans about using a server program for basic desktop use instead of as it was intended..in this case GAMES!! Flame me for it..I love to read the stupid comments! :)

still it's some fixing to be made to run games and things like that and realy the main thing for me is not to play games or to use it as a server just want to test the latest thing and if you just change some small settings it works good for games maybe even better than xp do anyway i do that for me

For me i am using it as a Workstation to replace my Windows 2000. I completely skipped over XP because its complete crap. W2k3 is rock solid, havn't had anything go wrong, even with the beta builds(which is quite shocking to me). I had Build 3771 up and running for 2 months straight until i replaced it with the final(And yes i beat the crap out of the beta). I dont need all the fancy visual styles and stuff, just wanted a nice splash of color to the classic look, with the faster and newer OS. I have had some driver problems but thats to be expected. I have worked around all of that though.

Latest and greatest, yes why not use a server as a workstation =P

For me i am using it as a Workstation to replace my Windows 2000. I completely skipped over XP because its complete crap.

So your saying XP is crap with out ever trying it, that makes sence.

Beta tester

Just wanted to see what all the hype was. Also to see how it performs on a test system at work for our servers.

I think the install lasted about 8 hrs before i turned the drive back to my storage drive.

:)

So your saying XP is crap with out ever trying it, that makes sence.

I have tried XP, and yes it is complete crap. More security holes and issues then W2k. Remember when it first came out, all of the driver and application problems ? Yes now that is for the most part fixed but not when it was launched(Which is when i tested it). To me W2k3 is alot better then XP once you actually configure it properly(and i mean alooot more then that 5 page neowin guide).