Why did you download or install Windows 2003?

What did you download or install Windows 2003?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. What did you download or install Windows 2003?

• for... Active Directory
    • for... Windows Media 9 Services.
    • for... Routing and Remote Access.
    • for... Internet Information Services 6.0
    • for.. Virtual Private Networking Services
    • for... Terminal Services
    • for... Distributed File System
    • for... Running a Microsoft SQL Server...
    • for...playing games....
    • for... just having the next thing and turning it back into Windows XP because you can...

I just installed C&C Generals, It came up with the error "You must have Direct X 8.1 or Have a Suitable Graphics Card" of whish I thought "D'OH" :pinch: I forgot to turn on Direct3D and DirectDraw :cry: but I corrected that mistake and now Generals works fine :woot:

goto - Start/Run type in DXDIAG [Enter] then goto Display and enable all ;)

Is it just me? :blink: or did anyone else notice there is NO Solitiare/Minesweeper or Hearts? :huh: in fact, there is NO games at all in 2003 :( mebbie it's just my eval version :(

Is it just me? :blink: or did anyone else notice there is NO Solitiare/Minesweeper or Hearts? :huh: in fact, there is NO games at all in 2003 :( mebbie it's just my eval version :(

maybe its because its for serving and most system admins don't play games on a server machine, I dunno, maybe it's just me.

acculy alot of admins i know play sol on the server when there weighting for something to happen or board

funny its got mp9 and no defult windows games LOL

yeaph! even advanced server 2000 had games on it... but you can add them to your 2k3 box... just follow the guide to convert it to a workstation...

and please guys... I know some of you are thinking... "it's a Server not a workstation!!".. but really... give it a rest!!!.. it's just an OS, if you can get your hand on it... why not to play with it (and learn form it!!!)? what is wrong with that? It's just another tool and learning must be fun.. and what a better way than trying something new and tweak it to a stage that you like it and you want to work with it?

Most of the people can really use this knowledge in ther work environtment in the future, and tweaking gives ideas on what you can do with it... get familiar with it and be happy!!

but then... just my opinion...

cheers!!

:p ;)

Edited by alien2xx

• 2 years later...

Well, i selected games- but in all fairness ill be using it for a bit of everything, power user style :)

INCLUDING USING IT AS A WORKSTATION

Just because i can, and i know it irritates people. :p

All-in-all, im only testing it anyway- ill replace it with Beta1 of longhorn as soon a i can lay my hands on it, lets face it :)

there is not a service pack out for win2k3 is there? which is faster anyway, win2k3 or winxp sp2?

Well, i selected games- but in all fairness ill be using it for a bit of everything, power user style :)

INCLUDING USING IT AS A WORKSTATION

Just because i can, and i know it irritates people. :p

All-in-all, im only testing it anyway- ill replace it with Beta1 of longhorn as soon a i can lay my hands on it, lets face it :)

586140564[/snapback]

Thanks for posting worthless drivel and resurrecting old threads. :rolleyes:

I used the 180 day trial to just play around with it as a general server. Tried lots of the features, IIS, Active Directory, SMTP server, file server, cache server, game server etc.

In the end I was using apache instead of IIS due to ease of administration, and most games have a linux server. Thus I migrated to FC4 last week when my trial ended.

Dougal.

I was going to install it so that I could have software mirroring, but then I saw all the stuff I had to do to use it like a normal (not server) OS and then gave up.

I was running XP Pro but the Web Hosting provided by IIS did not allow many people to connect.

Since I use the PC as a web host for my personal site, band's beta site & Neowin Sig & Avatar ...

Well, I figured I should upgrade it ... I mean, i did have a copy of 2003 that my college gave me.

**For those thinking it is pirated; I've already explained in another thread that it is a legal copy**

So that is the main reason I upgraded ...

i installed it to learn how to use it (e.g. Active directory, DNS etc...)

wow old thread :whistle:

586172773[/snapback]

same here

we only use windows 2k server at school