Is Longhorn usable?

Hello, neowiners,

I'm interested in installing Longhorn in my personal computer, mainly to see how the system works, to know the new features, etc. The question is: is it currently usable? I mean: can I install it in my notebook and use it daily? Is it allways crashing or stuff like that? Do you know about problems with specifics softwares? Yes, plenty of questions here. Can you help me?

Thank you, Andree.

no not as a main OS... maybe just to check it out but don't think about it :D

I understand what you mean, and I think I can deal with crashes and stuff if the system is better, or has more (better) features than Windows XP Home. What do you think, SHoTTa35?

Thank you for your reply. :)

leave the operating system you have as it is and install Virtual pc and install Longhorn on that.

That way if it does crash or die you just delete the virtual hard drive and no problems, thats what i've got at the mo to to see how longhorn is shaping up

its alpha.. not beta yet

Okay, but maybe using it you figure out that even being an alpha version it's better than Windows XP Home. It's what I'm thinking about.. what do you think? Another related question: have you had any crash using Longhorn? It's the point.

Thank you for your reply. ;)

Excuse me? :huh:

Its only Alpha at the moment. According the Microsoft's Road map the 1st beta of Longhorn is out in 2004 [sometime] You Could use it as a Main OS... why would you want too though? its Basically still XP with a different theme at the moment.

yeah, beta 1 comes out then. I used it on this laptop for the longest... over a week. My wireless connection was causing me headaches tho so i went back to XP. explorer leaking too was another... I like that thing taskbar and had the sidebar autohide so it def looked sweet....but explorer crashing too much and it just wasn't as snappy as i'd like it to be. I was using XP tho since beta 1 as my main OS and i'm still using it :D Loved watching the changes in XP... i wouldn't recommend using it as your main OS just yet since it's just too slow (XP is faster)

leave the operating system you have as it is and install Virtual pc and install Longhorn on that. That way if it does crash or die you just delete the virtual hard drive and no problems, thats what i've got at the mo to to see how longhorn is shaping up

I need to format my notebook anyway, because Windows XP Home is letting me crazy. :rolleyes:

Okay, but maybe using it you figure out that even being an alpha version it's better than Windows XP Home. It's what I'm thinking about.. what do you think? Another related question: have you had any crash using Longhorn? It's the point.

Thank you for your reply. ;)

yes.. i have had it crash.. many of times..

i would never use an alpha os as my main os. you never know just how serious of a bug in there. it could corrupt your file system, cause hardware failures, etc.

yeah, beta 1 comes out then. I used it on this laptop for the longest... over a week. My wireless connection was causing me headaches tho so i went back to XP. explorer leaking too was another... I like that thing taskbar and had the sidebar autohide so it def looked sweet....but explorer crashing too much and it just wasn't as snappy as i'd like it to be. I was using XP tho since beta 1 as my main OS and i'm still using it :D Loved watching the changes in XP... i wouldn't recommend using it as your main OS just yet since it's just too slow (XP is faster)

I think you convinced me staying with Windows XP. :whistle:

I think you convinced me staying with Windows XP. :whistle:

LoL.. i'm biased, even if i knew where to get Longhorn, im on 56k so its not worth the download time for something thats Alpha, and basically XP with a different visual style and slower with bugs.

Guys, thank you.

Oh, by the way: I've tried to install Windows XP Professional in my notebook, but it has problems with my audio device. Is it possible to import a Windows XP Home's driver version - which is working properly - to my new system?

Thank you, Andree.

LoL.. i'm biased, even if i knew where to get Longhorn, im on 56k so its not worth the download time for something thats Alpha, and basically XP with a different visual style and slower with bugs.

I understand perfectly how these kind of things work. :x I was thinking about a totally new system.. but if it's just Windows XP with a new theme, it's not a great deal. Thank you, Electroglitter.

I understand perfectly how these kind of things work. :x I was thinking about a totally new system.. but if it's just Windows XP with a new theme, it's not a great deal. Thank you, Electroglitter.

Well, yeh, it has afew other bits and bobs in, but nothing to write home about yet :)

Hey andree, installing Longhorn is pretty much the same thing as installing Windows XP. There's nothing in there but some graphical and functional changes. Most of the main features, like the database file system and the DirectX interface, aren't even implemented yet.

So if you're trying to install Longhorn just so you can see how much cooler it is over XP, you might be in for a disappointment.

And yeah, the Windows XP Home driver should work in most cases. Home is pretty much Pro with some services disabled and programs uninstalled, anyway.

they are the same drivers

Great! :D Then, how can I copy these related files and import them into Windows XP Professional? I know it sounds weird, but when I tried to install it before I had problems with my audio device.

Thank you, Andree.

Hi, JaggedFlame,

Hey andree, installing Longhorn is pretty much the same thing as installing Windows XP.  There's nothing in there but some graphical and functional changes.  Most of the main features, like the database file system and the DirectX interface, aren't even implemented yet.

So if you're trying to install Longhorn just so you can see how much cooler it is over XP, you might be in for a disappointment.

Guys told me about it. Now I understand what you mean.. thank you. :yes:

And yeah, the Windows XP Home driver should work in most cases.  Home is pretty much Pro with some services disabled and programs uninstalled, anyway.

Great, but Windows XP Professional didn't installed it automatically, and I have troubles when installing it manually; I couldn't make my audio device work properly. Oh, a detail I didn't tell you: I've installed Windows XP Home using HP Disk Recovery, which means maybe an additional program was runned. The best option, I think, would be copy the currently driver (I'm using Windows XP Home now) and import it into Windows XP Professional. Is it possible? What do you think?

PS: I really enjoyed this community. :cool: