Windows 7 Pricing Announced

1 license = 1 pc. You can have unlimited reinstalls as long as it's only installed on one pc at a time.

The pre-order offer is for full-packaged versions.

Am I missing something?

From here:

Windows 7 is coming on October 22, 2009. Here's an easy way to get it fast and save a bundle: Pre-order a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for $49 or a Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for $99. That's about half off the estimated retail prices. This offer is available through participating retailers. Pick one below and pre-order today. They'll tell you how to get your copy when Windows 7 is available.

Then sit back and smile. You scored.

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if Windows 7 Upgrade can only be used on machines that have an existing Windows installation like what previous Windows upgrades are like? If so, then I guess I'll go and get the full version...

1 license = 1 pc. You can have unlimited reinstalls as long as it's only installed on one pc at a time.

After 5th time you need to call MS to regenerate new ID for you but then it's all good. Also you can move license from one pc to another. When i upgraded my system from core 2 to i7 setup i called MS and they did it for me.

What's funny is that by mistake i switched two copies of my retail ultimate and still let me activate those machines.

can we buy 64bit?

Most likely you will have to make special order to MS (another $9.99 just for shipping) or if you buy full retail then you get two discs (32bit and 64bit) where you can use same cd key for both.

From microsoft.com site:

Pre-order a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for $49** or a Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for $99.**

I'd love it if Microsoft tied in activation to their Live service - log in to authorize and de-authorize computers - so when I no longer need Windows on a machine, I could just deactivate it online.

That's a really good idea! I can see it being in a future version of Windows.

Thanks for the feedback on pricing. I think others share your same feelings towards that and MSFT is aware of this.

Do you happen to know if they are going to do anything about it? It's unfair.

Although, I can't moan when I'm getting the full version for what would be an upgrade price :D Microsoft are brilliant for doing that for us! :happy:

Thanks for the info, Jeff!

Throw in a pre-order bundle of Windows 7 Home Premium and Office 2010 for ?100 and I'd buy that!

Having said that though, I will be pre-ordering this asap anyway especially for the savings on offer. What was the difference between the premium version and the professional one again?

As long as I can do a format/clean install with the Windows 7 upgrade (use my Vista cd to verify I had it or whatever) then I will pick up 2 upgrades @ 49 each... anyone know the "upgrade method"?

Do you happen to know if they are going to do anything about it? It's unfair.

I don't have an instant answer to that.

Pretty shoddy UK pricing considering there will be no upgrade option for Europe due to the recent IE ruling by Brussels.

What are you talking about full-packaged versions?

The pre order deal is only for Upgrade versions.

What are you talking about full-packaged versions?

The pre order deal is only for Upgrade versions.

Exactly correct...

From here:

Windows 7 is coming on October 22, 2009. Here's an easy way to get it fast and save a bundle: Pre-order a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for $49 or a Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for $99. That's about half off the estimated retail prices. This offer is available through participating retailers. Pick one below and pre-order today. They'll tell you how to get your copy when Windows 7 is available.

Then sit back and smile. You scored.

Now I have Vista Ultimate x64 OEM. Do you think I can buy the normal upgrade? Will my OEM serial be eligible or do I need to wait for the OEM releases again?

What about the rest of the world?

Someone should add a option to the poll on the frontpage: "Not available in my country".

Pretty shoddy UK pricing considering there will be no upgrade option for Europe due to the recent IE ruling by Brussels.

This should read...

Pretty shoddy UK pricing considering there will be no in-place upgrade option for Europe due to the recent IE ruling by Brussels.

I think the pricing is a bit costly considering the economy. :/ Personally I don't need to buy it, just a thought.

Hey guys and gals- I know there is some confusion about whether the pre-order offer. I gave some misinformation earlier, and the pre-order offer is for Upgrade versions. I apologize for the confusion.