Sony Boss Getting Fed Up With PPL Telling Him The PS3 Is Too Expensive

The console is a steal for the consumer at the price they are selling it for.

The fact they they lose money on each is proof.

Maybe the console isn't meant for poor ppl?

Maybe they should sell a version without the bluray player... inless some games use it??

Are you really that daft?

if the truth hurts sony .... some part of it must be true lol

are you really that stupid ?

How long were you deprived of oxygen at birth you said?

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Ken Kutaragi to our boards!!

Sony's losing money on the console so it doesn't want to lower the price.

People that make games want more consoles in the market so they have more of an audience to sell to, however, they don't care how much Sony loses because they aren't making the console.

So they push each other.

Isnt it supposed to be the case that u release a console, keep price high for few months till software sales subsidise the sales then you lower it once your software sales are even healthier still?

Maybe Sony didnt get those sales....

Sony: "Hopefully last year is as bad as it gets"

Sony Computer Entertainment president Jack Tretton has spoken of fiscal 2008 as "a very challenging period of trying to sell future technology."

Tretton told Fast Company that Sony had successfully met its PlayStation 3 sales target during the last financial year, but he also noted the difficulty of pushing a high-end device at a time when consumers were being particularly cost-conscious.

"Hopefully last year is as bad as it gets. I think all indicators are that 2009 is going better than 2008. In 2008, we had a 38 per cent increase in sales and we hit our ten million units worldwide goal for PS3 sales... At the worst possible time, if you're hitting numbers and delivering success... my hope is that as our production efficiencies improve and more great games come to market, the horizon has got to be better for 2009 and 2010.

"It's like being out there in a storm - it does cause you to question your conviction, and tie yourself to the mast and weather the storm," he added. "We have hit a very challenging period of trying to sell future technology, a high-end device, but is on the high-end retail pricing spectrum, at a time when people's disposable income is limited. But I think the fact we were successful in that says people are getting the message, that you get tremendous value when you buy a PlayStation product. Yes there are cheaper machines out there, but not ones that deliver the degree of value for the money that ours does."

Having sold ten million PS3 units last business year, Sony is targeting 13 million system sales during the current one. The predicted 30 per cent sales increase has led analysts to forecast a PS3 price cut this summer, but earlier this week Sony CEO Howard Stringer dismissed rumours of an impending price drop as illogical.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=219175

/Subliminal price cut/slim messaging on

my hope is that as our production efficiencies improve and more great games come to market, the horizon has got to be better for 2009 and 2010.

/Subliminal price cut/slim messaging off

From the same interview Jack on cuts

Out of E3 came criticism of the and disappointment that there was no PS3 price drop. What do you think about this fixation on price?

It's somewhat natural, especially in this economy. But people are always wanting you to lower your price on hardware. We could've come out with a PlayStation 2.5 for $299 or less, and in the first two or three years it would sell extremely well. But there would be a point where people would be going, "I am not really seeing the incremental leap." We feel that we're sacrificing the short term to pay dividends in the long term. People are having short-term thinking--the platform is not even three years old. It was $599; it's now $399. The focus on pricing is something we appreciate, but you have to have the conviction and the confidence that you are on the right path for the long term and ultimately you'll get all the consumers you want. You won't get them all day one, but we're looking to get them over a 10-year period. It's going to take different things to get different consumers.

You talked again about the 10-year cycle and the future, but recently you said we focus too much on tomorrow and not enough on today.

I said that in the context of, "We want a price drop; when's a new system coming out?" I am saying to enjoy the technology that you have, explore the technology that you have, maximize the technology that you have, instead of trying to hasten the demise. People are just coming up to speed with the technology. Today's platform and tomorrow's platform is the PlayStation 3. But there's somebody that wants to talk about when PlayStation 4 is coming out and what kind of technology is it going to have.

If you were one of the first consumers to get a PS3, I hope that you would say, "I might have paid $499 or $599 for it, but it does so much more today." There are a lot of technologies where people say, "I don't even bother pulling it out anymore. I was excited when I first got it, but I have kind of moved on." And that's sad. It costs a lot to invest in rolling out new technology, and if the consumer walks away before the lifecycle's over--you can talk about the install base of hardware, but how many of those machines are still active, how many people are still playing them?

The flipside of the 10-year cycle is that the economy tanks and you have to stick with the 10-year program. So how do you weather the storm when things outside of your control don't go your way?

Hopefully last year is as bad as it gets. I think all indicators are that 2009 is going better than 2008. In 2008, we had a 38% increase in sales and we hit our 10-million-units-worldwide goal for PS3 sales. We had $6.4 billion in revenue in U.S. alone on the PlayStation brand, and a 116% increase in software sales. At the worst possible time, if you're hitting numbers and delivering success... my hope is that as our production efficiencies improve and more great games come to market, the horizon has got to be better for 2009 and 2010.

It's like being out there in a storm--it does cause you to question your conviction, and tie yourself to the mast and weather the storm. We have hit a very challenging period of trying to sell future technology, a high-end device, but is on the high-end retail pricing spectrum, at a time when people's disposable income is limited. But I think the fact we were successful in that says people are getting the message, that you get tremendous value when you buy a PlayStation product. Yes there are cheaper machines out there, but not ones that deliver the degree of value for the money that ours does.

Rest: http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kevin-ohan...-year-console-c

If you were one of the first consumers to get a PS3, I hope that you would say, "I might have paid $499 or $599 for it, but it does so much more today." There are a lot of technologies where people say, "I don't even bother pulling it out anymore. I was excited when I first got it, but I have kind of moved on." And that's sad. It costs a lot to invest in rolling out new technology, and if the consumer walks away before the lifecycle's over--you can talk about the install base of hardware, but how many of those machines are still active, how many people are still playing them?

Best corporate disguised dig at the Wii ever :laugh:

Edited by Audioboxer

Yeah, you guys just keep on bickering about the irrelevant as if it makes any difference.

At least your keeping yourselves away from the outside world. Keep up the good work!

If the Slim really is in developement i'd have no problem getting a PS3, but with the price its set now, i'm just can't afford things like that.....

They could have cut corners...

It could RRoD...

Interesting how, despite that fact, the 360 has outsold the PS3 in the US for all but about 5 months of the PS3's life, and it wasn't far behind in any of those months. It's also ahead in Europe. It also has almost double the attach rate the PS3 has. Sounds to me like more people think the 360 is more worth their time and money.

Dunno why you bring the RROD into the discussion, it's a pretty irrelevant point.

-Spenser

Instead the Blu-ray drive is failing left and right.

And the first batch of consoles is suddenly starting to overheat.

And BOOM the carnival of stupid takes it up a notch with the RROD being discussed and the apparent seas of PS3 issues that compete with it... I mean, what the **** does any of that have to do with this topic?

The gamers hangout is easier to predict than my chances of getting laid tonight... :laugh: (I'm not drinking and I'm not going to the pub tonight, so they ain't all that great, really)

And BOOM the carnival of stupid takes it up a notch with the RROD being discussed and the apparent seas of PS3 issues that compete with it... I mean, what the **** does any of that have to do with this topic?

The gamers hangout is easier to predict than my chances of getting laid tonight... :laugh:

You do realize the irony of this post having less to do with the topic than the RROD, right? :p

Plus I already mentioned RROD being irrelevant to the topic ;)

-Spenser

The gamers hangout is easier to predict than my chances of getting laid tonight... :laugh:

And you swooping in with a Gamer's Hangout assessment is also very predictable.

And you swooping in with a Gamer's Hangout assessment is also very predictable.

Well I'm a GH member, that means I'm predictable by default :laugh:

Well I'm a GH member, that means I'm predictable by default :laugh:

havent we already established that this 'madd-hatter' guy is .... well, somewhat provocative?

ok, yes the PS3 is more expensive than the other 2 cometing consoles right now, but take this into consideration.

The OS3 has a LOT of advanced hardware in it, more advanced than the xbox 360 or the Wii, and when the next generation of those 2 come around, sony will not need to kick out a PS4 or whatever until probably another 2 generations, because its got the hardware to back it up, to this day, no game out for the PS3 fully uitilizes all of its potental, the only beef I had is that all PS2 comatability has been reomved, if the rumors aout pure software emulation are true, thn it will slowly come back...

but remember, the 3DO? it was $799 when it first came out, and people bought it, so what the big deal about the PS3s $300 price tag?

ok, yes the PS3 is more expensive than the other 2 cometing consoles right now, but take this into consideration.

The OS3 has a LOT of advanced hardware in it, more advanced than the xbox 360 or the Wii, and when the next generation of those 2 come around, sony will not need to kick out a PS4 or whatever until probably another 2 generations, because its got the hardware to back it up, to this day, no game out for the PS3 fully uitilizes all of its potental, the only beef I had is that all PS2 comatability has been reomved, if the rumors aout pure software emulation are true, thn it will slowly come back...

but remember, the 3DO? it was $799 when it first came out, and people bought it, so what the big deal about the PS3s $300 price tag?

Well, consider this... Maybe Microsoft made a smart choice by offering a lot of optional extras so the price of the console is cheaper?

And that's why the 360 is blitzing sales compared to the PS3.

Wifi? i don't need it when i have reliable and faster wired internet.

Large HDDs? If you don't go on live, all you need is a arcade bundle with a memory card for game saves.

Maybe the 'Sony Boss Getting Fed Up With People Telling Him The PS3 Is Too Expensive' cause people have a point ;)

Blu ray would probably add a lot to the price of the PS3 though

Well, consider this... Maybe Microsoft made a smart choice by offering a lot of optional extras so the price of the console is cheaper?

And that's why the 360 is blitzing sales compared to the PS3.

Wifi? i don't need it when i have reliable and faster wired internet.

Large HDDs? If you don't go on live, all you need is a arcade bundle with a memory card for game saves.

Maybe the 'Sony Boss Getting Fed Up With People Telling Him The PS3 Is Too Expensive' cause people have a point ;)

Blu ray would probably add a lot to the price of the PS3 though

In the short term that has done wonders for MS, but making the hard drive optional, then making it proprietary hasn't done wonders for the consumers wallet. If they had made it optional then made it a standard 2.5" that fits in a caddy, then we'd really be talking.

If the PS3 gets dropped to $299 in a few months and MS don't drop hard drive prices, a 120GB will be half the cost of a PS3 :blink:

Two 120GB laptop hard drives = the value of an 80GB PS3? Might sound right to some who hate the PS3, but that logic is quite crazy for most :p

Do you mean CELL?

If so yes for the PS4 CELL will be much cheaper for Sony to use and I don't see why they wouldn't stick with it, we're seeing some great technical results on the PS3 emerging, a beefed up CELL should theoretically be fine for PS4.

Do you mean CELL?

If so yes for the PS4 CELL will be much cheaper for Sony to use and I don't see why they wouldn't stick with it, we're seeing some great technical results on the PS3 emerging, a beefed up CELL should theoretically be fine for PS4.

havent i read somewhere that theyre abandoning the cell architechure?