Sony Boss Getting Fed Up With PPL Telling Him The PS3 Is Too Expensive

If you want to include downloaded XBLA games (which I do as I spend most of my time playing XBLA games), then no you can't play 99% of games with an Arcade machine, unless you want to pay an outrageous price for their hard drive.

I downloaded arcade games onto my Xbox memory cards? It acts exactly the same as hard drive it's just limited in storage.

And yes.. 99% of games you can play. You can play Gears of Wars 1 and 2, you can pretty much play all the biggest games and the ones not so big. I know, I have it and use it them on all 3 consoles.

So don't sell me that you can't.

And FYI, nobody feels cheated out that I know that has Arcade only. They are aware that HDD will allow me them some more functionality but they still play games I buy too. So it's all good.

So Arcade is an Xbox 360. It uses Xbox live just fine, it uses games, you can watch ALL new services on Xbox 360 like Netflix and the new social things coming. It's an Xbox 360 and it's $199. Simple as that.

My point exactly, the card is limited in storage. So when you wanna play all that DLC goodness you can't because you're "limited" in storage. I'm saying you can't compare the arcade to the PS3, you lose a lot of the features when you go the arcade route. So yeah it's $299 vs $399. If you want to continue justifying the arcade price to the PS3's go for it.

Also, I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure you need a HD to get the Netflix service. It's a 360 but it's NOT a true contender to the PS3.

Actually no, it is retarded. If you want to get into semantics, some people play games to enjoy them with their FRIENDS. Most people on neowin, sure they have a rig capable of playing these games, however if you look at non technology savvy people (console gamers for the most part), they all own laptops. Laptops that have INTEGRATED GRAPHICS. Personally, I only know of one person apart from myself that has a machine capable of playing a lot of these games in 1080p.

The majority of computers out in the market cannot play the most current games, and if you may have not noticed, games are more and more becoming non-optimized ports, which in takes an even better machine to run them. Placing an arbitrary argument like that is amusing, and also ironic due to the fact that you have a PC game listed in the Playstation 3 as well.

I just wanted to level the playing field, since you obviously left out a majority of exclusive games to be able to use your argument. If you had pasted a true list of exclusives, you wouldn't have been able to drive your point. Both consoles/exclusives are great for the system.

Not only that but in his list there are games that won't come out until next year.. yet those are somehow omitted from the Xbox 360 list. LOL..

I mean, there's no real hate here, it's just interesting how some points get skewed just to justify the price of Sony and how it has something that's better then Xbox 360.

IceBrewedBeer.. it's ok if Sony is not be all end all console. They came out late, invested money and resources in Blu-ray and completely neglected gaming. Xbox 360 catalog of games is much larger then PS3 simply because it's easier platform to work with and came out sooner, not to mention the fact that in fact Xbox 360 does have more exclusives. Are they better then some Sony ones that's debatable but even if you compare average scores of games on PS3 and games on Xbox 360 usually games on Xbox 360 are overall rated higher even for same games.

That image you posted is truly skewed and false in so many ways that it would cause a riot here if we started discussing each issue but let's just leave it that.

Xbox 360 is a cheaper, overall easier console to work with and I'll be fair and say with equally power hardware (there's nothing so advanced about PS3 that Xbox 360 can't do) and PS3 is simply decimated in online features that Xbox 360/Xbox Live has.

To all people who have Xbox Live it is completely worth it. The only reason online is free on PS3 is because it's half baked and because Sony is dead last in console race. If I had to pick again between superior Xbox Live experience and unfinished Sony PSN and a joke they call Playstation Home for free.. I'll keep picking Xbox Live for $50 a year. I mean $50 a year. That's nothing. That comes out to 13 cents a day. I'm pretty sure people spend more then 13 cents a day for things that are completely irrelevant.

$50 a year gets a great service because in order to have it great as it is and expand, it can't be free. It costs money. If you think that Sony will continue giving the service for free when they do create something that's actually good I think you are very optimistic. They will do exactly the same thing. They will give you basic service for free and premium service for money.

They can't even get out with Qore for free that's basically glorified interviews and demos you can view on Game Trailers anyways. And that costs money.

Xbox 360 gets you a great a gaming console with unbelievable online experience, great games that just work and run smoothly and netflix and other services pretty much for free. And all that starts at $199 that you can totally enjoy and not feel ripped off.

Is it even better experience with hard drive. Sure, it's faster and can store more stuff but for $199 it's good enough that people don't complain at all. They can play all the hottest games and not worry about it.

Actually no, it is retarded. If you want to get into semantics, some people play games to enjoy them with their FRIENDS. Most people on neowin, sure they have a rig capable of playing these games, however if you look at non technology savvy people (console gamers for the most part), they all own laptops. Laptops that have INTEGRATED GRAPHICS. Personally, I only know of one person apart from myself that has a machine capable of playing a lot of these games in 1080p.

The majority of computers out in the market cannot play the most current games, and if you may have not noticed, games are more and more becoming non-optimized ports, which in takes an even better machine to run them. Placing an arbitrary argument like that is amusing, and also ironic due to the fact that you have a PC game listed in the Playstation 3 as well.

I just wanted to level the playing field, since you obviously left out a majority of exclusive games to be able to use your argument. If you had pasted a true list of exclusives, you wouldn't have been able to drive your point. Both consoles/exclusives are great for the system.

1080p? There are maybe I dunno, 3 games that actually RUN in 60FPS at 1080p. Most people are fine with a little lower resolution on the PC version. Also, have you been to a Best Buy lately? Most of the desktops can play the majority of the 360 titles fine.

FRIENDS, yeah because when you play PC titles you have none, is that what you're insinuating? You're obviously trolling, no one REALLY thinks this.

My point exactly, the card is limited in storage. So when you wanna play all that DLC goodness you can't because you're "limited" in storage. I'm saying you can't compare the arcade to the PS3, you lose a lot of the features when you go the arcade route. So yeah it's $299 vs $399. If you want to continue justifying the arcade price to the PS3's go for it.

Also, I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure you need a HD to get the Netflix service. It's a 360 but it's NOT a true contender to the PS3.

Who's comparing Arcade to PS3? Arcade is a cheap Xbox 360 that allows you to enjoy Xbox experience for $199. Does it come with some small limitations? Sure, but it might be in the level of having to delete games from memory card when you are done and that's really in not all cases because unlike PS3 most games on Xbox 360 work from the discs right away. No install necessary.

Look at this way.. someone who has a limited budget but wants to enjoy next gen games will most likely buy Xbox 360 arcade and be super excited. They will be able to use everything I use on Xbox 360 with hard drive with only difference being they will have a memory card and much less storage. But the best part of Xbox 360 is that it doesn't force you buy all bundled in it and pay a high price. It give you options and even though that approach will cost your more in the long run it's something people accept and actually prefer because it allows them to buy stuff at their convenience if they choose to do so anyways.

Maybe they'll need a hard drive, maybe they won't but the fact remains it's up to them to choose.

Do they need wifi? Some maybe, most are totally fine using cable, some don't even have internet and just want to play games offline (I've seen many of people like that at my local Gamestop). So bundling wifi that increases the cost of the console in the case of PS3 is really forcing you to either accept it or not and the worst part is that wifi standard G is already obsolete so like it or not you'll still need to buy something else that costs you money to use WiFi N standard. With accessory approach people are taken care of any way you look at it and in a few months, if Microsoft releases WiFi dongle at N standard (you don't really even need to buy it from them because there are other solutions out there that work just fine) you are set and you only pay for it once.

Same with Blu-ray. Many people simply don't want Blu-ray for whatever reason, some people just want a gaming console, some people prefer standalones in general because it's more complicated to them to launch movies from a console. Whatever the case you are force fed everything that comes in the package.

Again, at the price today you can buy an Xbox 360 and Blu-ray player for a lower/same price as PS3. So that's not such a hot deal anymore even for those who want a Blu-ray player.

This was all expected actually and criticized from the start with Sony. It's nothing new really.

Edited by Boz

I love your political answers. I'm not argue half of the post you decided to type up. I never mentioned that the PS3 was more advanced or that live isn't justified with $50 dollar price tag. You wanna pay for P2P service that's your call buddy. The PSN and the Live service are pretty much the same, regardless what everyone is gonna say. That said, I'm debating the fact that you claim (with your $199vs$399 statement) the Arcade is a 100% PS3 contender when it's not, in fact if anything it's a Wii contender.

You keep going on about $199 vs the $399, when you clearly ignore my arguments about the lack of the HD which in-turn keeps someone from truly experiencing the DLC that's offered from the top titles from the 360.

@Vice, dude if you ca still find the 20GB HD in stores, that's awesome. I've only been able to find the 60GB flavor. Also, the arcade doesn't include a headset does it? I'd say if you wanted to enjoy the Xbox experience then you'd have to opt' for the elite or pro. Otherwise you have to buy the extras like a HD and a headset. Which still puts you pretty close the $299 price tag.

You don't have to convince me about how the PS3 isn't a hot deal, I didn't buy mine new so this doesn't concern me. The limited budget thing has already been looked at, I'm just stating you're gonna pay more for things you WILL need to get the SAME experience as Elite or Pro users. I'm arguing that you aren't getting the same end product with the Arcade as you would the Pro or Elite. You and I aren't going to find a common ground with this so I'm just gonna agree to disagree.

Also this thread is no longer on topic and it's become another PS3 vs 360 thread. You xbros aren't gonna agree that the PS3 is a good choice for a gaming experience, and the sonyfriends aren't going to agree that the same could be said about the 360.

In all honesty, this generation seems like a bunch of people justifying their purchase, lol it's a whole lot of buyers remorse this gen.

Edited by IceBrewedBeer

@Vice, dude if you ca still find the 20GB HD in stores, that's awesome. I've only been able to find the 60GB flavor. Also, the arcade doesn't include a headset does it? I'd say if you wanted to enjoy the Xbox experience then you'd have to opt' for the elite or pro. Otherwise you have to buy the extras like a HD and a headset. Which still puts you pretty close the $299 price tag.

I found the 20GB on Amazon for $43 and I found the 60GB on there for $62 so both shy of the $100 mark.

XBOX360 Arcade + 60GB HD = $261.99

I don't know if it comes with the headset. But if you want one of those they have them on Amazon for $14.99.

I'm using Amazon because its an online retailer that anyone can check the prices on. Also I live in England so the local prices here are in ?'s - As I understand it the PS3 doesn't come with a Headset either?

1080p? There are maybe I dunno, 3 games that actually RUN in 60FPS at 1080p. Most people are fine with a little lower resolution on the PC version. Also, have you been to a Best Buy lately? Most of the desktops can play the majority of the 360 titles fine.

FRIENDS, yeah because when you play PC titles you have none, is that what you're insinuating? You're obviously trolling, no one REALLY thinks this.

[opinion]

I'm not trolling, I'm talking about my friends dude. All the gamers I play with own consoles/laptops. Also, if you are a gamer, clearly right now consoles is where it is. If the only thing you play are FPS/MMOs/RTS then yeah, pc gaming is fine, but personally consoles is where it's at.

Hell, if you look down a few threads you can see that the game I'm currently playing is Infamous, which is actually quite the game.

PC Gaming is more cumbersome, apart from Steam, with their integrated friend's list/communication system.

[/opinion]

I guess I need to use these tags, so you can understand...

You keep going on about $199 vs the $399, when you clearly ignore my arguments about the lack of the HD which in-turn keeps someone from truly experiencing the DLC that's offered from the top titles from the 360.

What's the lack of HD you speak of? You do know that you can get DLCs on discs right? You don't have to download them.

As for lack of HD, I don't really understand your point. Xbox 360 arcade is the SAME console as Pro or Elite, so it is capable of playing 1080p games just like other Xbox 360 models do and PS3. In fact you can run games on Arcade that are inferior in resolution on PS3 due to port issues or lack of graphical performance on PS3 (like Ghostbusters or some other games).

Oh I see, lack of HDD (hard drive). Again, I don't know if you have Xbox 360 or if you have Arcade. I can tell you this because i have all versions of consoles that I absolutely have no issues or need for HDD on my Arcade Xbox 360. I don't need HDD unless I want to download shows or demos of games and with Instant 1080p HD coming to Xbox Live and Netflix I have no need to anymore anyways.

So it comes down to DLCs and Demos. DLCs you can get as packages on discs, the only limitiation is that you might wait a month longer before they come out (I've seen some that do it like that but a lot of them came out on discs shortly after the downloadable version) and lack of demos you can get without HDD is limited to magazines or other things where you pick up the discs. Is it available? Yeah. Is it available at your convenience (possibly not) but it's really not a huge issue anyways.

For all other things you don't really need a hard drive so you are not missing out on anything really.

Again, as I already said, I have an Arcade console and use all my games on it and no issues whatsoever nor do I sacrifice anything really. The game is the same, looks and works the same. I have friends that were pinched for money so they picked up $199 Arcade too and they are all playing games fine and are obsessed with Netflix and Xbox Live.

No matter how you try to justify it Xbox 360 Arcade is an Xbox 360 console and you have to do very little sacrifice even if you don't have a hard drive.

People were doing just fine with PS2 without hard drive. Same with Xbox 360 Arcade but they get to experience next gen graphics, online and bunch of other things for a low price, something that Sony doesn't offer to begin with.

[opinion]

I'm not trolling, I'm talking about my friends dude. All the gamers I play with own consoles/laptops. Also, if you are a gamer, clearly right now consoles is where it is. If the only thing you play are FPS/MMOs/RTS then yeah, pc gaming is fine, but personally consoles is where it's at.

Hell, if you look down a few threads you can see that the game I'm currently playing is Infamous, which is actually quite the game.

PC Gaming is more cumbersome, apart from Steam, with their integrated friend's list/communication system.

[/opinion]

No, you just don't need to type words in CAPSLOCK when you're referring to your opinion and not in fact. Also infamous is awesome.

@Boz PS2=/=Arcade. This gen's online is much different than last gen.

[opinion]

[/opinion]

I totally agree with you.

I am/was a huge PC gamer. But along the way with cheating, constant upgrades to machines that require a lot of money and the fact I wanted to play games on 106" screen in my home theater without fuss consoles were my natural choice.

I still play a game or two on PC but most games that come on all 3 platforms (with exception of exclusive titles) I get for consoles and Xbox 360 namely because I know more people on Xbox 360 and I'm pretty much guaranteed I'll get the proper version and with less chances of bugs and anomalies.

There's something about sitting in your couch in front of the huge screen with awesome audio that trumps PC gaming completely.

Latest game I played/still playing is ARMA2. It's unavailable on consoles for now and it's much better experience playing it on PC because it's much more complex.

What's also interesting is that PC and Xbox 360 are actually very similar in architecture and way they work. Most likely because it comes from Microsoft and it's based on DirectX ;)

Can't be bothered to quote you each individually, but just to clear a few things up from the above posts.

1: the Arcade doesn't come with a headset. They did include a wireless controller since late 2007 though.

2: DLC does come on discs, but you need to install them to the hard drive.

No, you just don't need to type words in CAPSLOCK when you're referring to your opinion and not in fact. Also infamous is awesome.

@Boz PS2=/=Arcade. This gen's online is much different than last gen.

I capitalized three words, lulz. Should I bold them next time for you? And yes, the game is sick. Reapers on your side killing cops is nice.

It does have the huge advantage of being able to accept near enough any profile upgrades. i.e. Profile 3.0 and anything that comes after.

If anything comes after...

That's doesn't make it the best looking player, for the best value.

Can't be bothered to quote you each individually, but just to clear a few things up from the above posts.

1: the Arcade doesn't come with a headset. They did include a wireless controller since late 2007 though.

2: DLC does come on discs, but you need to install them to the hard drive.

this might be true. I have not tried to install DLCs , I just know the do come on discs. Reality is that most people going for cheapest version won't be even buying dlcs. It's just nature of bargain hunters

In all honesty, this generation seems like a bunch of people justifying their purchase, lol it's a whole lot of buyers remorse this gen.

:D

So true.

I think the PS and xbox sides are quite evenly matched this gen, leaving everyone quite insecure.

So, some people feel the need to lob a granade to the other side every now and then.

I noticed that most nintendo fans are quite serene, since they know they are dominating :p

The 360 may destroy the Playstation, forever.

PS1 and PS2 is king of video games, PS3 games are beautiful. I dont want to shell out that much money for a system.

Whats nice about PS3 though, is unlike 360 which is cheap, but you need to buy Live Gold, etc, PSN is free.

Sony need to develop 50 to 100 games in house, really kick ass games, maybe that can save them from certain final death.

Only PS3 ads I seen on tv, in the last 7 months was Kill Zone 2 and inFAMOUS

RANT: I wish the Dreamcast survived :(

The PSN and the Live service are pretty much the same, regardless what everyone is gonna say.

Yeah, keep telling that to yourself...

Also, the arcade doesn't include a headset does it? I'd say if you wanted to enjoy the Xbox experience then you'd have to opt' for the elite or pro. Otherwise you have to buy the extras like a HD and a headset. Which still puts you pretty close the $299 price tag.

Yes, because the PS3 includes a headset. It doesn't? Why did you bring that up then?

Now instead of writing up 2 pages of words, Audio is using none. :p

Does it really bother you that a thread where you don't like the discussion is the most popular here? I think all those stars are getting to your head.

Untitled-2-6.jpg

I agree, elephants do weigh too much. But smarties are tastier than elephants, so when you smell outer space the vacuum will make your blood boil and eggs need horseradish.

Hey-ho, a post as meaningful as the one I quoted.

I agree, elephants do weigh too much. But smarties are tastier than elephants, so when you smell outer space the vacuum will make your blood boil and eggs need horseradish.

Hey-ho, a post as meaningful as the one I quoted.

That's going in my sig.