rant

well when someone does a real worstation benchmark of XP vs Server 2003 and Server 2003 wins, give me a call

:rofl: add me to that list :p

for some benchmarks look at this:

http://ftp.us.dell.com/app/2qSE-Ngu.pdf

or this:

http://www.doculabs.com/Downloads/WebServi...mance_04-03.pdf

and some more numbers I found (sorry no Win2k)

Sandra 2003:

- Memory Bandwith Benchmark

Windows XP

- 2032 MB/s

- Efficienza 94%

Windows 2003

- 2052 MB/s

- Efficienza 96%

- Cache & Memory Benchmark

Windows XP

- 2Kb Blocks 13.030 MB/s

- 256MB Blocks 951 MB/s

Windows 2003

- 2KB Blocks 13.140 MB/s

- 256MB Blocks 955 MB/s

- CPU Multi-Media Benchmark

Windows XP

- Integer 8925 it/s

Windows 2003

- Integer 8899 it/s

- CPU Arithmetic Benchmark

Windows XP

- 5921 MIPS

Windows 2003

- 6010 MIPS

- File system Benchmark

Windows XP

- 28.325 KB/s

Windows 2003

- 29.465 KB/s

PC Mark 2002

Windows XP

- CPU Score: 4783

- Memory Score: 3325

- HDD Score: 1075

Windows 2003

- CPU Score: 4796

- Memory Score: 3205

- HDD Score: 1279

he said he traded 2 copies of xp for 1 copy of server 2003, not vice versa.

Ah, kinda hard to tell given his incoherent use of the English language. He never really specified which were the copies, but I see now that you're probably right. Still, it's beside the point.

i admit i was wrong, windows server 2003 is slightly faster than xp. but that still leaves the fact that most of you are pirating it. i realize some may not be, but i still see it's use as a workstation as a waste of it's abilities.

if you look at the benchmarks fripi posted (i'm trusting he actually ran the benchmarks), server 2003 is only ahead of xp by a few points in most of the tests. in some, xp even beats server 2003 (cpu multi-media benchmark, arguable the most important for gamers). but then again, the difference is only a few points.

in summary, i have the same stance as i did before. server 2003 should not be used for games or as a workstation. if you really want to spend the money for it, go ahead i guess. but it's a huge waste of money.

So for playing or watching DVD it's +/- equal to a well configured XP Pro, but for work under flash, photoshop, dreamweaver, php, ... it's faster, for my part response time is a lot better in win2k3 than in XP on the same machine, it feels much more comfortable.

For the moment i'm using a 6month evaluation copy, re-installing m workstation after 6 months isn't a problem because I always need a stable and performent machine.

SO yes I use it fot the moment as a workstation, not for games especially but for professionnal software use

Once you "tweak" 2003, you have XP. It's that simple. As someone who works in IT, I can't even begin to explain the feeling I have when someone says they want to "switch" to 2003. It's not even on the same track as the client OS systems are. Then the same people come into this forum moaning that they can't install this, or get that to work properly. THEN they will tell all of us how to trim down the Windows folder, which is only bigger BECAUSE IT"S A SERVER WITH MORE STUFF NEEDED TO FULFILL THAT TASK!!!!!!!

not copys **** nut orignal retail packaged windows xp pro for a corp addition offical 2003 disk god how fuking stupid are you

I'm assuming that was directed at me, so let me start off by saying that you definately need to learn to think before you speak. Given your wonderful grasp of the English language, let me tell you that by "copy" I was merely meaning a physical copy of the software (regardless of whether it was an original copy or not). Look the term up in the dictionary and get a clue, for that matter you used the term yourself. Now care to redetermine who the stupid one is?

Anyhow, do you feel guilty about something to get all worked up over it? I mean you could have calmly explained away any doubt (not that there ever was any) concerning what you, I, or anyone else meant by "copy" or "copies".

not copys **** nut orignal retail packaged windows xp pro for a corp addition offical 2003 disk god how fuking stupid are you

Rein in the attitude, please.

No Flaming, Personal attacks such as flaming, instigating "flame bait", verbal abuse or mocking of members in forum posts are not tolerated at Neowin. Such posts will be deleted on sight and moderated accordingly.

For the moment i'm using a 6month evaluation copy, re-installing m workstation after 6 months isn't a problem because I always need a stable and performent machine.

you are violating the license if/when you reinstall the OS after 180 days. the license says you are able to use it, reinstall it, erase it, etc for 180 days from the first installation. it does not give you the right to reinstall it and use it indefinitely.

sorry just makes me mad when people emply im doing something im not

i have never clamed to be good at grammer or english so i really dont give a damn about what people think of my grammer/spelling

and i will admit i have copys of stuff and then i have orignal disks i have my rc1/2 disk for 2003 and i my altered 2003 rc disk as well as my orignal 2003 disk and a nice 3in1 disk of 2003

i dont really give a **** about windows updates other then i ALWASE dissable them i dont want to have another "hotfix" cause my system to act like a drunken sailor (irate and incoherint)

i am working on ways to make 2003 more user friendly also working on a way to switch it over to XP "mode" im using vmware to do this so i dont have issues with windows liking the changes on my main system

i you dont like me thats fine if you do thats grate but so you all know its not gonna change me in the least i am who i am and im secure in that :)

now as to this debate/rant go ahead call everybody that uses it for a workstation then asks if theres a way to install something a whiener or moron or stupid all this dose is shows that you dont wish to help people as much as make fun of them a degrade them for doing something you dont agree with

i asked questions for things i didnt alreaddy know like if plus would run on 2003 i got an answer now agin i dont want/need plus i have no use for that stuff but my buddy miguel and my father bouth like having it installed so i looked into getting it installed for them

maby the mods should put up a thred/forum/bord whatever ya call it detacated to doing things like using 2003 as a workstation just make a rule that if ya come in there you dont flip people **** for things like using a server os as a workstation :)

if you dont wana see people use it as a workstation then you dont go there :) would work for me and most people that just wana get help not critcisim

just a though :)

on gameguy is rite also the eval isnt quite same as full i also bet that 2003 is gonna be like 2k where they make it so drivers dont work in eval anymore(after a few driver revisions that is)

well gf needs me agin :D ttyl

you are violating the license if/when you reinstall the OS after 180 days. the license says you are able to use it, reinstall it, erase it, etc for 180 days from the first installation. it does not give you the right to reinstall it and use it indefinitely.

I'm sure you're right but for the moment I got it so why remain ignorant without trying it?

I work on it, I play on it and I got movies on it for the moment, if it's down after 6 moths well I 'll reinstall my official Win2k and all the drivers ... because WinXP never did it well on my machine, even tweaked :cry:

But for the moment i'm trying it, not as a real server I admit but I try, I share what I find ...

I'm not violating anything for the moment and if I got a pro even in "workstation" mode I hope people will let me know if they have a solution, I want to learn, test try ... that's all, that's how we progress and that's why i'm not ashamed to ask "haw does i install iTouch?" or "I have a service error on startup , I tried to enable every service and still it remains, what is it ?"...

no shame only curiosity

ok, i'll play along, but i think this thread should be closed.  it serves no point.

here are a few reasons that server 2003 should not be used as a workstation.

1. anyone who uses it as a workstation is pirating it.

2. it costs a MINIMUM of $400. (web edition)

3. the NT 5.2 kernel will not run any workstation app (especially games) any faster than NT 5.1 (XP)

4. unless they have more than 2 processors, which isn't likely, they have no need for it as a workstation.

5. the only difference between XP and server 2003 is that it has extra server extentions for it.  these include, but are not limited to, IIS 6.0, active directory, .NET framework, etc.

6. it's a server, not a surfboard.

7. everything is disabled by default.  to make it into a workstation, you have to use ntswitch/tweaknt, enable services, disable others, change registry/group policy settings, and even then, certain things don't work.

any additions to this are welcome.  any debates about this are welcome, and i assume there are plenty of people on my side who will argue this with me.

i love number 1.. it's so true. :shifty: i agree with all of that. wow. all these guys that use it for gaming and all this crap rather than its designed server role, i hope you guys will never get a working key (no windows update = security holes) and if you guys do have one, i hope it gets blacklisted.

Edited by PHROZTEDcoolerguy

and to those who have MSDN/evals/corporate versions because they are "qualified": if you guys are using it as a gaming machine rather than a server, that is sad. Unless you do both server and gaming functions... which is still crossing the border...

LoL thats funny everybody thats got it and uses it for gaming must be a pirat LOL yea that rich

i have a full corp cd and im not using windows update i see no point i will just weight till sp1 comes out least that way no hotfixes to fuk the system up(like happened with xp)

oh and i know 3 ppl in my gaming group that have botten web server addition for the new or upgraded systems they have

funny hearing people say anybody that games with it is a pirat hell i will admit i have copyed software no reasion to deni it i bet 99.9% of the people on here have illegal copys of at least some software

oh and as to the blacked out keys thing LOL they will change the key at the first sp im sure just like xp did b4 that happend there will be at least a few new keys floating around out there :)

oh for got to make sure you understood its web add they ordered they payed about 415 thru an online retaler :) and no i dont know whitch one never bothered to ask

oh for got to make sure you understood its web add they ordered they payed about 415 thru an online retaler

then let me just say, you have some rich friends who don't know the value of money :yes:

sorry just makes me mad when people emply im doing something im not

:wacko: So you get upset when you jump to the conclusion that someone implying you have "pirated" copies or whatnot, yet you openly explain that you do have pirated copies of various software titles in your possession...

i was saying i wasnt trading copys sheesh you know what i ment you just wana fight and try and make me look stupid

oh and let me guess you dont have any illegal software at all

rite like i would beleve that

oh and let me guess you dont have any illegal software at all

rite like i would beleve that

believe it or not, some people do. :yes: :rolleyes: