How to Overlock the CPU to get much faster?

Ok, this thread is totally ridiculous. To the OP, let me set you straight. For starters, it's overCLOCK, not overLOCK. Apparently overLOCKing is some kind of stitch, hence the wikipedia article.

The fact of the matter is that if you don't even know what it's called, you're probably not ready. I lol'd when you said you wanted liquid nitrogen. That would be a hell of a Neowin front page article: "Indian noob dies trying to overclock P4 Celeron to 8ghz with liquid nitrogen. Friends claimed his last words were 'I wanna play Crysis!'".

You need to chill the f out. Stop with the exclamation marks and all that. Why are you yelling at us? We don't know the retailers that will ship to you. Why don't you do some of your own friggin research. Forums are for assistance, not for us to live your life for you.

In summation, buy yourself a new goddamn computer rather than purchasing anything to overclock. You WILL ruin new equipment if you don't know what you're doing (or anything at all).

P.S.: Here's a link to Dell's India site http://www.dell.co.in/. Buy a pre-built machine there and call it a day. And please don't even think of the words "liquid" and "nitrogen" together in the same sentence. But if you do, you'd better include the word "death" in that thought as well, because it is inevitable.

Edited by agreenbhm

This thread was hilarious till you showed up agreenbhm :( There's no need to be so mean.

I'm not being mean. I'm being straight. He will kill himself and others around him if he goes through with this ill-fated project. Think of me as a humanitarian...

Would you like to be upgradings your telephone contractings? It's 6 months at 400 pounds then 18 months for the next 200 pounds. Comes with 4 free ringdings!

This thread was hilarious till you showed up agreenbhm :( There's no need to be so mean.

True... but I still kinda agree with agreenbhm... :)

Well, yes, I suppose much of what he said is true, but I still feel a little sorry for the OP :p

I called him out for what he really is: a noob. Nothing wrong with that, but you shouldn't dive into something neck-deep if you don't even know what it's called... I believe I've been the most helpful by telling him the truth rather than making fun of him by progressing the thread in the direction it was going. I feel that a solid post of truth (in this case it had to be harsh) is more helpful than teasing him "behind his back".

Don't get me wrong, it was all very entertaining. But it seems that telling this guy about which mobo to buy and CPU sockets and all that is just a disaster waiting to happen. He needs a new Dell. A C2D or C2Q is going to perform much faster than he could ever imagine compared to what he has. It is stupid to waste a water cooling kit on a Celeron of this age. It's not going to perform well by today's standards in any way, shape or form.

@lunamonkey

Maybe fun for you, but definitely not for him. Cmon man. I am sure you have read worse English than this.

@Balaji...

Get yourself to Chennai and go to a Dell or a HP outlet. Buy a stock model that is fast enough for your needs. I have been using computers for a long time and do not feel that overclocking is going to be beneficial for me. First of all, you are going to wear away your equipment very fast. Secondly, you don't seem to know too much about computers. If you try to overclock and make a small mistake, you could end up destroying your system.

@lunamonkey

Maybe fun for you, but definitely not for him. Cmon man. I am sure you have read worse English than this.

@Balaji...

Get yourself to Chennai and go to a Dell or a HP outlet. Buy a stock model that is fast enough for your needs. I have been using computers for a long time and do not feel that overclocking is going to be beneficial for me. First of all, you are going to wear away your equipment very fast. Secondly, you don't seem to know too much about computers. If you try to overclock and make a small mistake, you could end up destroying your system.

Thnx a lot buddy!

U've understood me!

First of all, you are going to wear away your equipment very fast.

That's not entirely true. My 3 year old E6600 is still running fine at 3.2GHz to this day in my mother's PC and a friend of mine has my 5 year old Athlon 64 3500+ running at 2.7GHz still, with no problems. The reality is that if the lifespan of CPUs really is decreased significantly, it'll still be obselete long before it dies anyway unless you're running stupid voltages through the chips. If you keep it sensible, you can still hit very impressive overclocks (my 2.66GHz i7 runs fine at 4GHz with only a 0.1v increase) with minimal risk.

However, with that said, I can only echo what everyone is saying to the guy. Overclocking is not for you, and even if you did have a motherboard that allowed you to do it, it's pointless with such a low-end CPU. Just buy a new PC.

maybe OP is just pretending to be bad in english & having fun.

that english is so fake. :p

no consistency.

@OP, if you happen to go to Chennai, you can get the m/b, proc.... at very lower price.

or, just get them from Madurai.

or try www.ebay.co.in

That's not entirely true. My 3 year old E6600 is still running fine at 3.2GHz to this day in my mother's PC and a friend of mine has my 5 year old Athlon 64 3500+ running at 2.7GHz still, with no problems. The reality is that if the lifespan of CPUs really is decreased significantly, it'll still be obselete long before it dies anyway unless you're running stupid voltages through the chips. If you keep it sensible, you can still hit very impressive overclocks (my 2.66GHz i7 runs fine at 4GHz with only a 0.1v increase) with minimal risk.

However, with that said, I can only echo what everyone is saying to the guy. Overclocking is not for you, and even if you did have a motherboard that allowed you to do it, it's pointless with such a low-end CPU. Just buy a new PC.

Don't give him the details, you'll just confuse him :p

Ok then What shall i do?

Oh god, i've just made things even worse :laugh:

Do this:

Ok then What shall i do?

Sorry but...

1) You are not ready to overclock any thing.

2) You are 15, and shouldn't be trusted with any extreme methods of cooling, i.e. Liquid Nitrogen.

3) If you want a faster computer, buy faster parts.

4) Even if you did overclock your Celeron, you wouldn't see any real benefits as the Celerons have half of their legs broken and very inefficient.

While I've read this thread with an open mind, but sorry, it's hysterical. You've only proven that you are not ready to do any overclocking and the safest and best way to get around your problem is to buy new computer parts, or a new computer completely.

hello

if u overclock ur CELERON.! ( which u cant because u have intel motherboard that dun allow it)

ur PROCESSOR would still be slower then if u buy a new PC

listen.

u want overclock?

u buy COOLING SYSTEM rite?

U buy fans

u buy thermal paste

u buy new casing if needed

u buy new heatsink ... rite??

THESE ALL DUN BUY.. BUY NEW MOTHERBOARD AND PROCESSOR..

PRICE SAME!

SPEED DOUBLE!

PERFORMANCE DOUBLE!

U HAPPY!!:..

I HAPPY! :)

for descriptions of products.. go to www.newegg.com

:::::::::::::::::::::

Ill say buy a Dual core e5200

with a motherboard of G41 intel chipset.. maker can b MSI ASUS.. and they are available in india i think

u want overclock?

u buy COOLING SYSTEM rite?

U buy fans

u buy thermal paste

u buy new casing if needed

u buy new heatsink ... rite??

absolutely!