Neowin Digital Gallery

:D

Whoah, how the heck did you do that? I assume that's a mirror in front of the camera, but it looks like the lens is reflecting the room in front of you.

Welll it certainly looks good in my eyes, would you care posting a tutorial on how you did that?

Just got advice of the interwebs.

Can do it with any camera you want but obviously the more sensitive to IR the better - long as you have your IR filter.

Make a custom WB with the IR filter on (a hoya 72 is the norm the one on the camera I used was a Kood 72, I guess they are the same) - grass in direct sunlight preferable then shoot.

In photoshop elements/photoshop use adjustment layers.

1. levels - just auto

2. channel mixer - swap red and blue (make red = 0 and blue = 100 on red channel, opposte for blue)

3. levels again this time bring in the white and black sliders to the edges of the histogram proper.

after that you add whatever adjustment you fancy til you are happy with the image.

Seems simple but I'm still struggling a wee bit. I took some more shots today on a different camera (IS-Pro) whici I'll upload to Flickr soon enough, still don't think I've cracked it yet. Check out some of the IR shots on Flickr, some are amazing.

Cheers

Malc

Some of today's images.

Here are a couple of shots I took at work using a special light. Brand name is Crimelite and it is a specific wavelength light used for finding bodily fluids and contaminated latent fingermarks, sometimes you can get some cracking images. My office is fairly clean so nothing that's "woah, gross!" but some nice shots.

3798876505_681ec56494.jpg

showing the dirt and grim on a standard and supposedly clean office swivel chair.

3798879087_29bf3f856a.jpg 3798879823_1297818635.jpg

Hidden evidence!

3798880995_68042dab2b.jpg 3798882665_59ebda2dca.jpg

Hidden evidence but closer up!

3798883265_e6b3d0ca73.jpg

a close crop of the above hand print.

There are a couple more on my Flickr showing different plastics fluorescing but if poeple wanna see em they can just click through. The space on the thread saved by not posting em will do for my IR shots when I get them up, lol.

Malc

Well it's an infrared camera, to start.

Yeah it kinda shows :p :s eerr well at least teh infrared part.

Just got advice of the interwebs.

Can do it with any camera you want but obviously the more sensitive to IR the better - long as you have your IR filter.

Make a custom WB with the IR filter on (a hoya 72 is the norm the one on the camera I used was a Kood 72, I guess they are the same) - grass in direct sunlight preferable then shoot.

In photoshop elements/photoshop use adjustment layers.

1. levels - just auto

2. channel mixer - swap red and blue (make red = 0 and blue = 100 on red channel, opposte for blue)

3. levels again this time bring in the white and black sliders to the edges of the histogram proper.

after that you add whatever adjustment you fancy til you are happy with the image.

Seems simple but I'm still struggling a wee bit. I took some more shots today on a different camera (IS-Pro) whici I'll upload to Flickr soon enough, still don't think I've cracked it yet. Check out some of the IR shots on Flickr, some are amazing.

Cheers

Malc

Hey thanks! I don't have an IR filter, but a bud of mine does. I got a couple of ideas with people and lots of grassm if any turn out decent i'll post em !

Also that crimelite hand is awesome!

In all fairness I wouldn't say your office chair looks clean :p ;)

3752621692_be4e94372e.jpg

I really liked how this turned out, except for the blow out sky. I had to take the quality down a lot for flickr, but I use the full 11meg file as my background and it's crystal clear. My first real attempt at a panorama.

3752613726_80ffdef01e.jpg

I'm loving my new Nikkor 35mm, the F/1.8 gives phenomenal depth of field!

Click for larger. View On Black

Also that crimelite hand is awesome!

In all fairness I wouldn't say your office chair looks clean :p ;)

Ah, but that, my dear Guppy, is not my chair.

I decided not to show myself how dirty my chair might be! lol.

I really liked how this turned out, except for the blow out sky. I had to take the quality down a lot for flickr, but I use the full 11meg file as my background and it's crystal clear. My first real attempt at a panorama.

I'm loving my new Nikkor 35mm, the F/1.8 gives phenomenal depth of field!

Click for larger. View On Black

Went to check out a bigger version of that pano but flickr bounced me saying no permission.

Piano one is real nice with that DOF. Awesome on black (I really need to start doing that)

I have a manual 50mm lens that hits 1.8 but it is a bitch to focus (not to mention trial and error exposure settings). Still when I get it it is suh-weeeet!

Couple of more shots from today (saturday)

dunno if this qualifies as Bokeh or not?

3800928143_dabb60db36.jpg

Two more IR shots:

3800947031_77be255bcf.jpg

3800953799_132530df02.jpg

More images were uploaded including a couple taken by Charlie (from the 1st image above) who is only 5. Check em out if you fancy.

Cheers

Malc

Lol, facetious much. :laugh: ;)

Eh no, very serious. The depth of field refers to the distance between the near and far focus points. At a large aperture, the distance between these is very short, and the 'slice' of focus is very small, and the depth of field is very small. Which is why most of the image is out of focus. Large aperture = small depth of field, small aperture = large depth of field.

bubba, u can quit ur day job and go pro :p

He'd have to escape the Child Cruelty folk first. Look at those poor flying toddlers.

lol

Seriously though they are good clean images.

I'm getting an Hoya R72 (?30) for my 52mm lenses on my D40 - not quite as deep IR will be acheived as the IS-1/IS-Pro but might put a different slant on the images - I will post when I get one.

Moonman - is that your gf or sister or I dunno?. Very photogenic and you DOF totally works in almost all of them. I notice though that she carries a DSLR too - she take any of you? Were they any good?

Malc

it's his girlfriend of like 2 years.

he's gunna propose soon.

(hmmm would moonman cover his OWN wedding?!?)

Lol, doubt he'd get that crazy depth of field (or any focus at all) using a 200mm lens pointed at his own face from arms length.

I'd like to see the results though.

:D

I went down to Chicago for Lollapalooza with my friend. We were lucky enough to be able to stay at my aunt and uncles house. I didnt take my camera to the park in fear of it being taken away so theres no pics of lolla.

_DSC5679.jpg_DSC5692.jpg

_DSC5684.jpg_DSC5696.jpg

_DSC5708.jpg_DSC5710.jpg

_DSC5721.jpg

_DSC5723.jpg

_DSC5757.jpg_DSC5764.jpg

Edited by goodcase

Great shot Andre. Would be perfect as a computer wallpaper or even a print for a wall.

The only disturbing thing is that little black dot in the middle - a bird maybe?