Apps made with Windows 7 in mind

WinDVD 2010:

Windows 7 Support

Moving up to the exciting new user experience of Windows 7? WinDVD Pro 2010 DVD software is ready and waiting. Optimized for the new operating system, it supports key Windows 7 features, including Windows Touch, Jumplists, and Taskbar integration.

also, it is more UAC friendly, since it asks you admin rights only the first time you use it

Wait... does this mean it changes the ACLs on a file in the Windows directory that's loaded by the logon process? I sure as heck hope not.

Wait... does this mean it changes the ACLs on a file in the Windows directory that's loaded by the logon process? I sure as heck hope not.

Yea, I would hope it doesn't do that. Which I hope by the next release of Windows, UAC will be more verbose about what an app is trying to do when UAC is prompted, but that's for another thread.

I was thinking the same thing =/

Yes it does, but don't worry, it does this in a safe way:

it creates some 0 byte jpg files in the wallpaper folder, and then give the right to modifiy the file content to authentificated users. Users do not have any right on the background folder itself, nor any system file.

Nothing unsafe here! Users can't even rename the background*.jpg files.

I you think it is a security risk, please give some explanation! Otherwise, your comment is just FUD.

(yes, theorically if there was a 0day flaw in windows7 GDI image processing, a malware could gain the same privileges as logonui.exe... but that requires a malware to infect the user session first, and by doing this anyway, the malware can easily gain admin rights by many other ways).

Yea, I would hope it doesn't do that. Which I hope by the next release of Windows, UAC will be more verbose about what an app is trying to do when UAC is prompted, but that's for another thread.

I did such a design decision to avoid annoying the users. If users get too often annoyed by UAC prompts, they will disable UAC and lose the Internet Explorer protected mode benefit (the only real benefit of UAC).

UAC alone is a joke. With its default setting, any malware can gain admin privileges, and with more secure settings malwares can elevate easily by spoofing elevations prompts at the time a user is going to do an administrative task, or infecting newly downloaded programs before the user run them as administrator (this is the same on linux and osx: elevating from a user session is fundamentally dangerous, Microsoft UAC team developpers even say it). Anyway, even with no admin right, a malware can do much thinks by running in user mode! If users want to be perfectly safe, they just must not execute any program coming from unknown developpers (yes I know, that includes my applications too!)

Edited by link8506

Nice way to abuse the taskbar progress bar.

I thought the same thing when I saw those screenshots. But the foobar2000 plugin just added this feature, and on a whim I decided to try it out. Frankly, it's really useful being able to easily see the progress of the playing track by just glancing at the taskbar. So... don't knock it until you've tried it?

I thought the same thing when I saw those screenshots. But the foobar2000 plugin just added this feature, and on a whim I decided to try it out. Frankly, it's really useful being able to easily see the progress of the playing track by just glancing at the taskbar.

My thoughts exactly.

I would consider it actually making use, not abuse, of such a feature. It's not as functional as seeing your disc burning or file transfer progress, but it's great that people are doing this.

I would love to have installers make use of it in the future, too, and I'm sure they will. :punk:

It's very necessary. The free version gives control over outbound connections to the Windows 7 firewall.

And now uses windows7 taskbar previews as an option.

2bcxno.png

Type Windows Advanced Firewall Control into your start menu and you'll get that control.

So after getting a brand new battery for my laptop, I realized how some users might find it clumsy for Windows 7 to show only two power plans in the popup.

A solution for now is to give Power Plan Assistant a try. The UI has much to be desired, but a plus is you can also turn off your laptop screen via a menu option.