Official Zune HD thread

The one I ordered arrived this afternoon, unfortunately it is a useless brick until they update their website, which seems to be tomorrow. I guess they really are serious about the street date. All I can do is view the little demo video preloaded on it.

OMGNWDLSAK DSIWO

well since you got it you now obligated to do an review of it...jk(or not)

how does it look in person

Its much smaller than I thought it was going to be. I never saw it up close to another zune before. Its somewhere in between the original and the mini. I do like the indents on the side of it, make it easier to hold. I do not like the rubber feeling surface on the bottom front. Feels really cheap on something that feels solid. There is also random writing on the side that says "Hello from Seattle" The screen itself is beautiful, if not a little small. Interface seems snappy, although it pretty much is the original but in touch form (which might not work well for me, never did like the Zune interface) And yes, it is a fingerprint magnet, but what touch device isn't? There is also a push button on its side, which I do not like at all, feels awkward for some reason.

I'll need time before judging things like sound quality and video playback, as I've said, its mostly a brick for the moment. I hope vast improvements are being made to the marketplace. In its current form I find it terrible. That may be the difference between me keeping it and selling/returning it.

Hi, don't have the Zune HD here but did download and install the software 4.0 and strangely, I've been getting warnings from time to time from my avira free edition? Some of you getting the same problem? I have avira free with Windows 7 RC. Too bad because the player is better integrated with Windows 7 now and it would be a shame to get rid of it because of that.

Hi, don't have the Zune HD here but did download and install the software 4.0 and strangely, I've been getting warnings from time to time from my avira free edition? Some of you getting the same problem? I have avira free with Windows 7 RC. Too bad because the player is better integrated with Windows 7 now and it would be a shame to get rid of it because of that.

That will be Avira picking it up wrong; perhaps a bug in the Avira software. I can assure you Microsoft would not release software which contains viruses. Perhaps you could contact Avira so they can look into the issue and correct it? Either that or use a different anti-virus? I just think it'd be silly to stop using the Zune software just because the anti-virus you are using is in the wrong :)

Where is the SDK?

Also, lol @ "official" designations...did MS come by and bless this thread? I suppose that his a step down from "Definitive" or "Authoritative," though, might want to change that.

I still don't understand this. Why? Such a fail decision. I was planning on buying one today but in their infinite wisdom, they're leaving me out. I wonder how many other potential customers were cut out?

Still ****es me off there is no word on the HD and Marketplace coming to Canada.

If they are working on it, at least throw us a ****ing bone and tell us that much.

Just installed it on my laptop and during startup got a pop-up saying there is an update available. :blink:

Edit: never mind, the website link took me to old installer and I clicked thru without reading :blush:

I would so love to get this - but I just recently got the iPod Touch.........so..........

P.S. I know it's not available outside the States - but that only means it would take a little more patience to get it for me LOL

What a great device. I picked mine up at midnight, there was only 2 32GB, and I got the 2nd one :D

Good sound quality, blows the iPod Touch 2nd gen out of the water. Has presets for equalizer just like the touch, but no custom equalizer like my Cowon s9, and the s9 wins in sound quality.

Fantastic OLED screen, colors are vibrant, but I still think the s9's AMOLED screen is better.

Apps have been anounced like audiosurf and project gotham racing, can't wait for apps to take advantage of the Tegra chipset. Very fast interface, on par with the touch. Accelerometer is very fast, probably the fastest of any device I have ever used.

Internet browsing is alright, could be better. I don't like when you rotate the device, and the keyboard doesn't take up the whole width of the player, only about 75% of it.

I think MS has a winner here. Would be better if they release this device in other countries, get a 64GB out, and get good apps out.

Fantastic OLED screen, colors are vibrant, but I still think the s9's AMOLED screen is better.

What about the screen in bright light? Outside sun?

Every demo of the ZuneHD was done in low light places, some bad mouth are saying that the OLED screen (quality) is just awful under light/sun.

In any case, MS is not giving me a choice, I would have loved a ZuneHD, but I'm in Canada, so the winner is Apple Touch 3rd gen....

Edited by TruckWEB

LAME! Amazon says it will get back in stock (16GB) on September 17 (could be much worse). I ordered it on the 10th. I REALLY feel like kicking myself in the ass for not paying the extra 5 bucks to have it today. :argh:

Every demo of the ZuneHD was done in low light places, some bad mouth are saying that the OLED screen (quality) is just awful under light/sun.

That's not bad-mouthing, it's science, OLEDs in this class are a long way from the great screen we keep reading about. The rigged demos are kind of blatant, which is too bad as the Zune software is great, but the players are meh at best.

What about the screen in bright light? Outside sun?

In any case, MS is not giving me a choice, I would have loved a ZuneHD, but I'm in Canada, so the winner is Apple Touch 3rd gen....

never heard of that before probably just OLED haters(they are alot of them)