Official Zune HD thread

Was there a specific reason as to why the Zune HD didn't launch in Canada? I don't think I could wait another month or so. I need an mp3 player now!

/me looks at the Cowon S9

I think it's because of the radio in the Zune HD. They want to make it compatible with the rest of the world.

"it's not because Microsoft is on the cutting edge, but because Microsoft is desperately looking for a marketable feature, whether or not that feature makes any sense for consumers."

Or it could be that Microsoft is on the cutting edge. Just because they're trying to sell more units doesn't negate the fact that all of the features in the Zune HD are simply cutting edge.

Edited by Omen1393

I think it's because of the radio in the Zune HD. They want to make it compatible with the rest of the world.

"it's not because Microsoft is on the cutting edge, but because Microsoft is desperately looking for a marketable feature, whether or not that feature makes any sense for consumers."

Or it could be that Microsoft is on the cutting edge. Just because they're trying to sell more units doesn't negate the fact that all of the features in the Zune HD are simply cutting edge.

That makes sense, I guess. I hope it doesn't take too long for AM/FM stations in Canada (and other parts of the world) to start transmitting digital signals.

That makes sense, I guess. I hope it doesn't take too long for AM/FM stations in Canada (and other parts of the world) to start transmitting digital signals.

They already did, but it was a complete flop. Canada went with DAB (same as EU), the ZuneHD use another (incompatible) standard, Hybrid Digital Radio or HD-Radio.

So the ZuneHD in Canada and EU would have to use DAB/DAB+ or go back to simple FM radio (easier to do!).

Microsoft seems to be pulling the Zune from Canada (hardly available anymore). The rumor is that the CRTC is not allowing the marketplace, so Microsoft is not bothering with selling the device (most of their profit probably comes from the store, and not the device itself). So that's probably why the HD won't be available.

It's pulled from Canada atm. Microsoft is going international before the holidays, don't worry you'll probably see it for canada soon. It's like how japan gets the video games weeks or sometimes months before the rest of the world.

C'mon, Microsoft. Release the Zune HD in Canada! I need something to replace my 1st gen 16GB iPod Touch with ~2 hours of battery life.

Microsoft seems to be pulling the Zune from Canada (hardly available anymore). The rumor is that the CRTC is not allowing the marketplace, so Microsoft is not bothering with selling the device (most of their profit probably comes from the store, and not the device itself). So that's probably why the HD won't be available.

Pure speculation...and inaccurate speculation at that.

Microsoft needs to expand Zune to the whole world and not just to the USA. I really don't understand it. Microsoft has the infrastructure in place and all sales channels to support a worldwide distribution of Zune. Don't they want more success? It is really unbelievable...

Microsoft's Zune is always a step behind Apple. I just hope they move faster and start bringing better products on the market. I have watched a lot of Youtube Videos demonstrating the Zune HD and although I was positively surprised by the user interface and responsiveness of the Touch screen, there are some things that really don't make any sense:

• Why is there no SDK to develop applications?
  • Why do the available games have this silly ad at the beginning? I am sure Microsoft could offer two versions of each game: One with ads that would also be free and one with no ads but that would cost
  • There are no hardware volume control buttons...That is really bad and the earbuds don't offer volume control like for example the In Ear buds from Apple..
  • The browser is good but Safari is still better
  • Why has Microsoft stopped offering the hard drive models?

The only thing that really is much better than everything else is the Zune Software 4.0

I enjoy using it with my Zune 2nd generation 80 GB

Edited by Petvas

That is really bad and the earbuds don't offer volume control like for example the In Ear buds from Apple..

I could care less about the ear bud issue. I have a pair of Sony earbuds with volume control on them and they aren't as expensive as Apple's.

Edited by briangw

Microsoft needs to expand Zune to the whole world and not just to the USA. I really don't understand it. Microsoft has the infrastructure in place and all sales channels to support a worldwide distribution of Zune. Don't they want more success? It is really unbelievable...

Microsoft's Zune is always a step behind Apple. I just hope they move faster and start bringing better products on the market. I have watched a lot of Youtube Videos demonstrating the Zune HD and although I was positively surprised by the user interface and responsiveness of the Touch screen, there are some things that really don't make any sense:

• Why do the available games have this silly ad at the beginning? I am sure Microsoft could offer two versions of each game: One with ads that would also be free and one with no ads but that would cost
  • There are no hardware volume control buttons...That is really bad and the earbuds don't offer volume control like for example the In Ear buds from Apple..

The only thing that really is much better than everything else is the Zune Software 4.0

Well the browser is a matter of preference. I hate safari so anything else is better to me.

I don't understand why people like the Zune software. To me, it's crap. It looks horrible and lacks a lot of the options I've come to expect from WMP or iTunes. Editing song information is far easier on iTunes (with more options), I want to be able to convert files, I'd like more sorting and view options, etc.

Why do people like the Zune software? I don't get it. What's so much better?

[*]Why is there no SDK to develop applications?

The SDK (XNA update) was out the next day. ;)

The SDK (XNA update) was out the next day. ;)

XNA Portable Framework is in no way a proper SDK. It's suited well to 2D games, but nothing more, no real 3D capabilities and definitely not suitable for Applications. It's a cut down, limited version of the full version XNA, which even then wouldn't be a proper SDK for Zune HD. Heck you couldn't even make a simple facebook application with it, because XNA has no support for internet handles. Don't get me wrong, its definitely fun for users to play around with, but it's not a "serious" SDK for the system, more for hobbyists to play with =/

Edited by ~Johnny

I don't understand why people like the Zune software. To me, it's crap. It looks horrible and lacks a lot of the options I've come to expect from WMP or iTunes. Editing song information is far easier on iTunes (with more options), I want to be able to convert files, I'd like more sorting and view options, etc.

I love the software because of its ease of use, and it looks GREAT. The integration with the Social and marketplace is awesome. The Smart DJ is definitely something I now dig since the release of 4.0. It surely beats the pants off iTunes any day. If you're just into sorting and looking at your music collection, then Zune isn't for you. I use it to listen to music and see what else I could be missing. No software comes close. Also, It's required since I do own a Zune 80 and a Zune HD 32. So, from my point of view, they complement each other very well :)

In my opinion, it's how experiencing music on a technological device should be - a gorgeous visual experience, rather than just searching a list of track names, selecting a track and just hearing it. With the Zune software, you either have a 'Now Playing' screen filled with track covers of random sizes randomly picked from your library (these covers will keep changing change throughout the playback) or you have very nice pictures of the currently playing artist floating around, with random tidbits of information from their biography or the Zune social. Both of these variations contain a gorgeous overlay colour which also changes throughout the playback. In iTunes, we only have the one visualisation which shows nothing of your music or library (but is nice to watch) or cover flow which is static and just shows a few covers from related albums or albums which have a title beginning with the same letter as the currently playing album's title.

Other niceties about the visual experience include how the media is organised, QuickPlay (which is another way to select music without scrolling through track lists), the visualisation at the bottom of the software (which is one of the things I love most about the Zune software) and just the overall design of the software in general - smooth animations, themes, beautiful hover effects, nice fonts etc. The music is organised in a way which I find more efficient and more visually attractive than how it is organised in iTunes. As far as I am aware, you have the option to view your music in a layout which is similar to iTunes, but you can also choose to use the default which (when on the "ARTISTS" view) shows a list of artists down the left side, a list of their albums in the middle (with covers showing) and a list of songs on the right side, in order of album tracks, with a nice large number next to the song, displaying which track each one is - in iTunes the track number is exactly the same size as all the other track information and there is a horrible blue/white alternate background thing going on in the background of each track row... the way the Zune software lays out this information is much more visually appealing to me :)

The visual aspects aren't even the only reason I use the Zune software. The Zune social is a feature which I find very useful, it's a nice way to keep track of your listening habits and I find it better than Last.FM (Zune just need an API for this thing now :p). The rating system is much more logical and better than the rating system in iTunes, Windows Media Player etc; I don't see the point in multiple stars, I either love something, I like something or I don't like something that much - 3 different things, not 5.

Your comment about it being easier to edit tracks in iTunes makes no sense to me at all. In iTunes you right-click, select "Get Info" and then a dialog will pop up ready for you to edit the track info. In the Zune software you right-click, select "Edit" and a dialog (albeit a nicer looking dialog than in iTunes) will pop up ready for you to edit the track info. How is one easier than the other? If you are on about the fact you can edit certain info quicker by holding the left mouse button on track information and modifying it that way, I don't find this much quicker as you have to hold down the button for a second or two whereas editing the track the way I previously described would only take a second - thus, it really takes the same amount of time. It's probably quicker to edit track and album information in the Zune software because the dialog in iTunes has different tabs, the one in the Zune software does not.

What features do you actually miss then? There are only 2 features iTunes has which I would like to see in the Zune software but I value the amazing visual experience higher than those two features :)

Umm, 1. So we don't get **** apps.

2. Not particularly a big deal. Just ignore the ad.

3. Maybe you haven't picked up on it, but the music control by hitting the side button was created in such a way that it's just as good as hardware controls. You can hit really anywhere on the top or bottom half of the screen to increase or decrease volume. You don't even have to pull it out of your pocket or wherever you're keeping it.

4. Safari is trash.

5. Perhaps they will later on.

-Spenser

Nicely put Calum :) I agree. Yesterday I noticed one more thing...the DJ artist mix in Quicplay..their color overlay changes slowly...it is such a nice visual experience. Zune 3.0 was always great but they got really really good with 4.0 and in contrast with iTunes 9's horrible color scheme, it is such a pleasure to use it.