[GC09] PlayStation 3 Firmware (v3.00) Update

im not making a jp account for a single theme

Your loss, the Japanese store always gets more content than us, you can bet there will be more free themes on it as time goes by. Heck right now there's a lot of standard themes on the store that we don't have.

The time it takes you to download from rapidshare, copy to a USB stick then install, if that's even possible with animated themes, will not be much quicker than making an account.

Yeah but its not like that account is going to go anywhere. Create one now and get free stuff any time its on the JP store.

I have a Jap and US account just for this stuff and I've managed to get some free swag from it (Such as a full, free copy of Rag Doll kung fu).

I think Sony should develop the interface and content into a series of slices, or blades if you will. In two years, when the time is right, they can release the New PlayStation Experience.

The Afrika theme is seriously cool but not usable. All of the icons and text are white, against white clouds. :|

It hardly takes long. I created a US and Japanese account in under 5 minutes. I have all 3 now.

3.0 is pretty good, it has some nice visual tweaks. I don't really like the new friends list though.

I think Sony should develop the interface and content into a series of slices, or blades if you will. In two years, when the time is right, they can release the New PlayStation Experience.

The Afrika theme is seriously cool but not usable. All of the icons and text are white, against white clouds. :|

Go into theme settings and turn the brightness down to -3 (theme settings -> background -> brightness).

afrika1-1.jpg

afrika2-1.jpg

As for your other idea, you want them to create the old 360 dashboard? Hell no, blades/slices are a terrible waste of screen real estate. They should most certainly keep the XMB, its clean, sexy and simplistic. They just need to keep tweaking and refining it. Lots of good ideas in this update for the GUI, but they need feedback now to refine some things (friends list for one).

The animated themes for one are only really possible with a GUI that is simple, if you have big tabs/blades/icons and other junk you can hardly see your background making such themes pretty pointless.

Edited by Audioboxer

Go into theme settings and turn the brightness down to -3 (theme settings -> background -> brightness).

As for your other idea, you want them to create the old 360 dashboard? Hell no, blades/slices are a terrible waste of screen real estate. They should most certainly keep the XMB, its clean, sexy and simplistic. They just need to keep tweaking and refining it. Lots of good ideas in this update for the GUI, but they need feedback now to refine some things (friends list for one).

The animated themes for one are only really possible with a GUI that is simple, if you have big tabs/blades/icons and other junk you can hardly see your background.

Thanks for the tip, that works out great. I don't understand why they made it that way by default though.

I was kidding about blades. I just think the interface is horribly dated and lacking polish. These sparse new features are welcome but seem cobbled together.

Does the scrolling ticker below the clock replace the information board? I had this disabled before the update, can't see anyway to re-enable it. I thought there was sub-folder support for videos and music too?

EDIT: Nevermind, it appears there's no ticker showing for EU accounts yet.

Edited by ziadoz

Finally got home and updated.

I'm not sure what's going on with the friends list, looks a bit weird, and worse when scrolling to find a name.

whats with lazy bitches downloading the afrika theme and not reposting to rapidshare/whatever ****ty filehoster you happen to like

Your calling people lazy for not making a JP account, downlaoding the file, copying it to a pen drive, and then uploading it on a PC so you can download it from them.

When you yourself won't spend the few minutes to make a JP account, I think you'll find your the lazy one.

Is it me or the XMB text is bigger now??

No, they made it bigger for some reason. Next FW needs an option to change it back IMO.

By the way someone said Uncharted loads 10 secs quicker now, gave it a shot, it's quicker but I dunno if I'd say 10 seconds. Removing the bootup screen/ding before games does shave some time off loading. Socom seemed to load faster as well, but that's probably patch 1.50 helping out.

One thing that's true though is in-game XMB is faster, it's silky smooth during Uncharted.

Finally got home and updated.

I'm not sure what's going on with the friends list, looks a bit weird, and worse when scrolling to find a name.

Your calling people lazy for not making a JP account, downlaoding the file, copying it to a pen drive, and then uploading it on a PC so you can download it from them.

When you yourself won't spend the few minutes to make a JP account, I think you'll find your the lazy one.

not at all, im calling them lazy if they already have a jp account and downloaded the theme

Hah I thought the resolution changed to 720p or that there was something wrong with my PS3/TV. I like the smaller text better.

I don't like the contact list, looks weird.

I like that the background became blurry when you select a setting. That's a nice touch. :D

Hi Kol, Could you please make us all a new ps3 theme with the text and icons small again, if anyone can do it, you can.

BTW I am using your Sfere black PS3 theme it still looks awesome, just not quite as good with the now larger icons and text.

What do you think?

Thanks for all your great work so far.

bishy.

Hey AB... in that video you posted showing the dynamic theme it appears that person turned off the ticker text in the new info box at the upper right. didnt have a lot of time to tinker with it this morning before work... do you happen to know how that person went about doing that?

Hi Kol, Could you please make us all a new ps3 theme with the text and icons small again, if anyone can do it, you can.

BTW I am using your Sfere black PS3 theme it still looks awesome, just not quite as good with the now larger icons and text.

What do you think?

Thanks for all your great work so far.

bishy.

That's not possible. :( You cant control the icon and text size with themes. You can only change the icons.

Full list of changes plus known stealth updates

* What's New

This is a replacement for the old Information Board that nobody really used. In fact, it directly replaces the Information Board and now resides under the PlayStation Network indicator on your XMB. For a lot of you this is the first thing you're going to see when you turn on your PS3 and it boots up. Basically, it is a way for you to get the absolute latest on what's going on with your PS3. It features a fully interactive grid of new stories, games, features, updates, the last few games you played, etc. You'll be able to click each cell on the grid and interact with it somehow.

* Status Indicator

The status indicator is a near-total redesign of the upper right of your PS3 XMB. It drastically changes the way you can get information at a glance.

From left to right, it shows your PlayStation Network avatar, how many friends are currently online, whether you have a chat invitation, whether you have any unread messages, then the day and time. Underneath that is a PSN ticker. It has headlines that scroll across the screen that have to do with PlayStation in general. You have the option to turn this off.

* Friends List

The friends list is redesigned visually. Your avatar, comment, status are all still there. When you click on anyone's profile, you will have the option to view your entire message history with that contact as well as see how many messages you have from that person that you have not read.

* PlayStation Store Shortcuts

You will find that there are now shortcuts to the PlayStation Store underneath the Game and Video [only countries with video stores] section of the XMB. Clicking either one will take you to the PSN Game Store or the PSN Video Store, respectively. Much like the What's New section you will also find news and updates laid out in a similar fashion with these new shortcuts.

Update 3.0 will introduce the ability for new premium avatars for PSN users to choose from. Some of these will be free, and some of these will be available at a premium cost. Additionally, you will find animated themes available from the PlayStation Store, which look really neat. i.e. The LittleBigPlanet theme is available right now from the PlayStation Network Game Store for $2.99 USD. It is approximately 8MB in size. The Japanese Store offers a FREE animated Afrika / Hakuna Matata theme.

The Standard theme will now have interactive (uses the sixaxis motion sensors) sparkles, but you can return to the classic wave theme.

* Trophies

This system update will allow developers to modify how trophies are presented for add-on content. Your trophy progress will still be shown on a out-of-100% level much as it is now. But when you click on a game to see the specific trophies, the list will discern between the base game and any add-on content that may be available as subcategories. This is only for upcoming games.

* Upconverting Audio from USB

You can now upconvert audio from the hard drive or a USB source to 88.2 Khz or 176.4 Khz.

* Sound:

The sound settings area let you select simultaneous audio output, which makes the system output sound simultaneously through HDMI, optical, and AV Multi. However, everything except for the connection specified in the main audio output setting outputs in 2ch only.

* Audio&subtitle languages in videos on the HDD

Video settings adds HDD audio language and HDD subtitle language options. Using these, you view videos using language tracks and subtitles from your hard disk in your preferred language. Some content does not allow for these settings to be used.

* Video Playback Functionality

You can now manipulate video playback on PS3 using the right analog stick on your controller. Moving the analog stick will pause the video outright and give you the ability to rotate the stick to advance or rewind the video in slow motion or up to 4X speed. To resume normal playback simply release the stick.

* Catch Up TV channel shortcuts under the TV icon, IP-protected and only show up in the supported countries.

currently on board Catch Up TV channels:

- BBC (UK)

which will be "followed shortly" by:

- rtve (Spain)

- Antena 3 (Spain)

- laSexta (Spain)

- ZDF (Germany)

- NOS (Netherlands)

- ABC (Australia)

* Booting games:

When you start up a game, the PS3 logo will no longer be shown, giving a slight boost in speed to startup time. Note that this does not apply to original PlayStation games, as they run on an emulator.

* DTCP-IP Support:

System settings adds the the ability to activate DTCP-IP. This lets you undergo internet based authorization that's required for viewing copy protected videos on a media server.

* Web Browser

The web browser has a print screen (only supported printers) and screenshot to HDD functionality

* Startup

All PS3 models (fat or slim) will be receiving a brand new system startup sequence and sound. It has the new PS3 slim logo and a different tune-up sound. It's also a little bit shorter than the one that we have now.

The PS3 also starts at the What's New section under the PlayStation Network XMB icon by default. However, this can be changed back to Game from the system settings. Additionally, when you start a PS3 game, you will not longer see the black screen with "PLAYSTATION 3" written in the Spider-man font accompanied by the chime.

* Busy Indicator

Remember when you used the PS3 web browser or started an installation of a game you downloaded and you'd see that little water droplet in the upper right corner of the screen to show that it was busy? In its place is the analog clock from the Status Indicator, spinning when the PS3/XMB is loading.

* Font

The font size and the icon size for the XMB have actually gotten a fair bit bigger. Those of you with smaller HDTVs will probably appreciate this a lot.

* Copy&Paste

You can select and copy text from PSN messages (additional to the internetbrowser), that way you can i.e. send and "click" links.

* Stealth Updates

- Remote Play: Add a mobile phone

- Lists: When you have a list with a lot of items in it a scroll bar will appear on the left with an indicator to show how far you are from the top or bottom for when you continuously scroll up or down.

- Lists: Iconnames&folder/file names fade out after a second (besides the selected one)

- Chat: New yellow icon displayed next to the text chat icon letting you know you have an invite.

- Trophies: Platinum trophies don't count anymore to the total trophy-percentage of a game, of course they still do count for the trophy levels

I haven't been home to update my firmware, but I get the feeling the iPlayer link is not a PS3 app in itself, just a link to the BBC website. If thats the case, thats REALLY disappointing.

i got subfolders working on my external hdd with music and whatever. you have to display all in that folder and browse their first for it to work.

WHY CANT YOU PLAY MUSIC AND BROWSE THE XMB AT THE SAME TIME! HOW DO YOU CHOSE ANOTHER SONG?!

new font is very much welcome, my television is quite far even though its big i couldn't read it from the back of my room or my kitchen, now i can

Found your fix

Go to Music Settings, and select your bitsteram to be 44m instead of 48/122/etc. Now you can have music in the background again.

- Trophies: Platinum trophies don't count anymore to the total trophy-percentage of a game, of course they still do count for the trophy levels

aaahh, that explains it.