720P or 1080P?!

Which version?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Which version?

• 720P
    • 1080P

I want to buy a 32" HDTV and I can't decide to either get the 720P or 1080P version.

I'm going to be using the TV for a PS3, Zune HD with the AV Dock (movies), and HD cable.

I want to buy a 32" HDTV and I can't decide to either get the 720P or 1080P version.

I'm going to be using the TV for a PS3, Zune HD with the AV Dock (movies), and HD cable.

I would get a 1080p... Can you afford it? if not.. then theres always a 720p which is equally good.

Sorry everyone, please use the poll, was having a few problems setting the poll up

You put it into 2 different categories.. try just using one! Otherwise you can multi-select

If you're looking to save money, I suggest the 720p. But if you have the money to spare go for 1080p. Difference are hardly noticeable.

Both are good.

The difference in picture quality on a high quality monitor between a 720P signal and 1080P signal is not HUGE. The 1080P signal does look a tad cleaner and you can make out a few more details in the image but the 720P still looks fantastic. So in short if price is a factor you might want to get the 720P screen. But do keep in mind it is entirely possible for a 720P based screen to look better than a TV that has a resolution of 1080P when fed the same signal.

In short resolution isn't everything.

for a 32" 1080p is really overkill. You will not see the benefit of 1080p over 720p. I have a 32" that is 1080p and to be honest i only see a bit of extra glare on someone's forehead or a bit more film grain. I have to say that 1080p benefits tv's that are 40" or bigger.

If you want to save, 720p will look great, remember you always have 1080i if you want, but it has its own issues with blurring on fast motion.

Geez, don't get a 1080p for a 32". It only makes sense for the bigger ones, like 40" and higher, otherwise you won't see a difference anyway.

(like micro said, I just found out :p)

When watching regular TV you probably won't notice a difference, but when playing on the PS3 you'll notice a difference just 'cause of the greater amount of real estate.

If you plan on using it as a computer monitor then 1080P. It shouldn't even be a choice. If all you're going to do is watch movies and play console games then 720P is fine; you're not going to see a noticeable difference on a screen that small.

Wow! 82% of people voted 1080p? You people believe all the marketing hype.

How's it even possible to notice any extra detail on a TV that small? You people must have great vision, I must say! Besides, with all the DNR that's applied to Blu-ray movies now, the extra pixels won't give you much detail anyway.

I will note my opinion - as I researched and compared until I could not research anymore before I made my purchase.

I own 4 HDTV's all of which are LCD

1 - 47" Vizio - 1080P

1- 42" Toshiba - 1080P

1- 32" Vizio - 1080P - My personal Gaming Screen ( Xbox360 via HDMI )

1- 26" Olevia - 720P - Kids Room

Now I will say that there IS a discernable difference in how GAMES look on a 1080P screen vs a 720P screen - even on a Sony or Sammy - If you are going to be watching movies on the PS3 and Zune - and you are sitting at the correct distance you CAN make out minute differences.

That being said - if you are looking to simply save money go with the 720P - the differences are NOT that big if the cost difference is wide.

Most games are 720P anyway - but I am here to tell you that playing COD 4 and WAW on a Samsung 720P TV ( my neighbors ) and playing them on my Vizio or Toshiba @ 1080P there is a difference... be it color, brightness or the other small tweaks there is a noticeable difference to MY eye... others may well disagree... and I get the whole 720P can only output 720P etc etc

Then again I am one of those people that a side by side comparison in best buy... I always choose the 1080i picture as being the better looking and clearer over the 1080P - funny thing is the sales guy says that about 80% of the people looking at the same screen pick the interlaced picture as well.... go figure that one!

Sorry for the long winded post and rambling.. just want to be informative

How's it even possible to notice any extra detail on a TV that small? You people must have great vision, I must say! Besides, with all the DNR that's applied to Blu-ray movies now, the extra pixels won't give you much detail anyway.

Depends on the use and the size. I said he probably won't notice the difference but it is better to go big or go home. You buy a lesser product, and you'll receive just that!

Marketing hype? You must know that 1080p offers more than 720p and it's not purely marketing. A 1080p Full HD offers you a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels where as the smaller versions, commonly referred to as 720p because people don't want to remember all the numbers, offer resolutions such as 1366x768, 1280x720, or 1024x768.

What's the use of your TV? Are you going to connect it to your computer? Are you going to sit close? My opinion is if you're going with a 42" or higher TV you defintely must get a 1080p TV. If you're below that size there are no worries about getting a 720p version unless you're hooking it up to your computer or you're sitting close that 1,5x it's diagonal. You must also take in account where the TV is going to be located. Is it the mainstream TV which can cost a little more (1080p) or a bedroom TV used to watch some side-programs?

More Pixels More Pleasure

Depends on the use and the size. I said he probably won't notice the difference but it is better to go big or go home. You buy a lesser product, and you'll receive just that!

Andrew I agree with you on this 100%

You wont ever hear anyone make the statement "I wish I had bought a smaller TV"

I chose the 32" 1080 as it was the perfect size for my office and I sit no more than 3 to 4 feet from it while gaming or even streaming from the net

If you go with 720P to save $50 then your making the wrong decision... you wont regret not buying those 15 cans of Monster Energy / 5 Starbucks Mocha's and eating at McDonalds for a few days to get the next bigger size at 1080P