What do you absolutely hate about beloved Windows 7?

It's not OSX!

I haven't tried it yet, and probably won't until I'm forced to at school. I'm just hoping it's better then Vista, and puts MS back closer to what XP was, speed wise.

Yes, because obviously the 8 year old OS is superior... how naive.

That not everyone gets a speed boost, 7 is a real clunker on my laptop, Vista blows it away.

You may want to look into driver issues... I installed 7 on my laptop (it'll be 6 years old in December) and it runs bettter than Vista did. I would guess its driver related.

Nothing major, only thing that really annoys me is the removal of the equaliser from WMP

It's just been moved. I do hate that it's so hard to get to these extras though, I wish MS would stop hiding features... or at least make them more easily accessible.

The fact that even if you're admin you don't have complete control of the system. This was the same in vista and something I hoped they would have fixed.

I'm guessing you're all for XP's Administrator account... which needless to say offers none of the protections the Vista/7 Administrator account. While I agree that UAC is completely annoying if you know what you are doing, it is nice to know that in 7 you can completely disable the annoying prompts and do whatever you like. It's not hard... just type UAC in the start menu and drag the slider all the way down...

Edited by Chsoriano

So you would rather give Malware and viruses complete control over your system, just like XP!!!!

I would rather be an "admin" on my system if I choose to be.

What if malware or a virus installs itself to a directory that you can't access? What if you need to check which version of a certain dll you are running, important for programmers etc. etc.

Um, it was broken in XP and was fixed in Vista. I like having more control over whether the apps I run have full system access or not.

um..it wasn't broken on XP, it just happened that everyone and their granny ran as system admins, not as standard users.

um..it wasn't broken on XP, it just happened that everyone and their granny ran as system admins, not as standard users.

You're missing the most important part... what people fail to understand, it is Microsoft's responsibility to make an operating system that 90% of computer users can use (safely, reliabily, etc. etc.)... one way to do that is to change how the system operates. I wouldn't want my granny using my computer in admin mode.

Again, most of us here on forums are much more tech-savvy than average users so would benefit from disablying some of these protections... however for a large % of the population... this would just make them more vulnerable, something they really can't afford, and something Microsoft should not allow to happen, especially since it is their OS that runs on such a large portion of systems around the world.

What I hate: When I had AHCI on the PC would BSOD when coming out of standby. Now sata hot-plugging obviously does not work. The PC still likes to wake up on its own - hope disabling wake timers resolved that. The motherboard is ASUS P5W DH (they sold bucket-loads of these, $230 a piece). If anyone has a BSOD in ntoskrnl.exe at 71ff00 try turning of AHCI.

The preinstalled ATi Theatre 550 Pro driver does not find any channels. I had to install the latest one from ATi in Vista compatibility mode.

I wish WMP12 would stay maximized each time I open and close it.

Whenever I open something, it starts in a tiny window, so it's a little annoying.

Maybe it's something I'm overlooking though.

You're missing the most important part... what people fail to understand, it is Microsoft's responsibility to make an operating system that 90% of computer users can use (safely, reliabily, etc. etc.)... one way to do that is to change how the system operates. I wouldn't want my granny using my computer in admin mode.

Again, most of us here on forums are much more tech-savvy than average users so would benefit from disablying some of these protections... however for a large % of the population... this would just make them more vulnerable, something they really can't afford, and something Microsoft should not allow to happen, especially since it is their OS that runs on such a large portion of systems around the world.

That's fine, make a user run in user mode. Make that the norm. I agree with that.

But if I do want to run as an admin to check on something or do something then why can't I?

I wish WMP12 would stay maximized each time I open and close it.

Whenever I open something, it starts in a tiny window, so it's a little annoying.

Maybe it's something I'm overlooking though.

No, I don't think you're overlooking that, it's kind of annoying too. Sometimes I don't mind it, but other times I'm expecting it to open the full WMP window. I think I've gotten used to it, but sometimes it doesn't feel right. I don't really use WMP all that much anymore so maybe that's why.

That's fine, make a user run in user mode. Make that the norm. I agree with that.

But if I do want to run as an admin to check on something or do something then why can't I?

But you can... just drag the UAC slider all the way down (i.e., disabled). Doing that you will not be prompted to do anything at all. That's what I do (usually only when setting up my machine) and it feels just like working in XP, well you know what I mean.

But you can... just drag the UAC slider all the way down (i.e., disabled). Doing that you will not be prompted to do anything at all. That's what I do (usually only when setting up my machine) and it feels just like working in XP, well you know what I mean.

UAC is turned off. Windows still blocks you. You cannot run as a true admin on either Vista or Win7. hence my post of something I hate on Windows 7.

+1 for throwing out Calendar, Live Mail can't even import iCal files and i don't want my calendar integrated with tons of mail features i never use.

+1 as well.

The calendar on Windows Live Mail feels just like an add-on rather than having a full fledged seperate application for it. I would at least like to see a Windows Live Calendar.

There also should be Windows Live Photo Gallery and Windows Live Movie Maker installed. I mean not everybody in the world has internet access so now people are stuck with an OS without the features that they used to have. I can understand making you download Windows Live Mail, and Messenger, because those require internet access anyway, however Applications that don't require the internet should be bundled into the OS.

Agreed about the not being able to run as admin, even with UAC all the way down you will run into access denied prompts on some system folders. It would be nice to be able elevate to a true admin (not just run as administrator or disabling UAC) but I can live without it.

I'm also not liking the super bar that much but I'm getting use to it, I never was a huge fan of the dock system though. Overall I really like Windows 7 though.

I hate the way the Power button on the Start menu changes to **** down whenever Windows Update finds updates to install. This is especially annoying when the updates don't actually require a restart (e.g. the IE8 compatibility update I just received). Don't prompt me to turn my computer off for every little update. Just install the updates and don't bother me.

By the way, I have WU set to install updates automatically.

Of course, this is just a tiny annoyance and everything else is pretty close to perfect for me at this point.

UAC is turned off. Windows still blocks you. You cannot run as a true admin on either Vista or Win7. hence my post of something I hate on Windows 7.

Hmm... well that's odd. What are you trying to do? I don't think I've had problems running stuff with UAC disabled, none that I can remember at least, unless maybe does it do it on some system folders... maybe that's what I'm remembering.

I think there are two issues. One is that Windows does have "users" that have higher access rights than administrators and are used by the system. This is particularily noticable in the registry.

The other issue is that being an administrator actually does not grant you automatic access to everything. This is a misconception people have. What it does do, however, is give you access to _change_ permissions on any object (that doesn't belong to the system).

That Aero stutter when you maximize or minimize windows or open new applications :/

That's a vid card driver issue. I've never seen that before.

That Aero stutter when you maximize or minimize windows or open new applications :/

Agree. This happens on my nVidia 8800 GTS, nVidia 9400M, and Intel GMA 950.

edit. Not the minimize/maximize but the opening/closing of aero windows.

theres no up button. (yes i know there wasnt one in vista either, i didnt use vista, yes i know i can click on the location in the adress bar, but i preferred one static button that stayed in 1 place didnt change size or location and only did one thing.

seemingly no easy way to remove the useless folderband.

the way you have to reach the right hand side of the start menu is annoying, thats why i preferred the classic menu, it was a simple up or down.

organisation of the taskbar is annoyingly restricted.

when searching in explorer, when you've found your result and open its containing folder, it doesnt show you the path in the address bar.

theres no up button. (yes i know there wasnt one in vista either, i didnt use vista, yes i know i can click on the location in the adress bar, but i preferred one static button that stayed in 1 place didnt change size or location and only did one thing.

There's now a shorcut (Alt+Up) that does this, if it's of any help

cheers

Random errors with random software are quite annoying and all appeared with RTM for me. Tried reinstalling thousands of times, both x86 and x64 have the same problems (like Messenger crashing on launch 90% of the time, audio stuttering, ..)

-WMP12 (At least Zune Player is good)

-Control Panel arrangement outside of catagory view

-Superbar: No quick classic mode, or slightly updated (size wise) classic. Shoulda focused more on making quick launch better with better tab integration*. I hate icon scrubbing!

-Icon/font sizes in many areas of exporer are just too small. Explorer also lacks button customization that should mimic the Live suite.

*I truly hate that Office doesn't use tabs.

I can't thing of much that I hate, but:

- The 'new folder' option is not in the "organize" menu item in windows explorer. I know it is in the toolbar, but somehow I always overlook it and it wouldn't kill them to add it in the organize menu too. After all, wasn't it there on vista?

- WMP x64 is buried in the program files folder. Not even in the 'start menu', like IE.

- IE7 x64 doesn't seem have a jumplist like the 32-bit one does. Weird. Both WMPs have jumplists.

- As with vista, if I'm sharing media with WMP (and by sharing I mean having it turned on), the computer will not enter sleep mode after a while. Although I havent tested it yet. The ideal scenario would be for it to prevent idling only if something is being streamed.

- The open with.. menu in windows explorer, has the "choose default program" option. IMO it should read "Choose another program", and provide integration with the "default programs" setting on the control panel. I dont want to feel like I'm changing the default everytime I want to open a file with a program that has not yet been 'remembered' for some extention.

- The search bar in windows explorer. The 'filters' are not documented anywhere, and it doesnt let you customize the search (except for the set of filters that it shows). Also, you can only change the 'search space' in the result window. there should be a way to customize the search before hitting the search/enter button.

- Not all apps have the same 'browse file' window, so when they use an older window, it is a mess. Not entirely window's fault though.

My touchpad seems to be a bit weird on my Dell Mini 9... scrolling around and sometimes the cursor jumps to a corner of the screen.

It's probably me, but it just feels weird, didn't feel weird with XP, lol.

-WMP12 (At least Zune Player is good)

-Control Panel arrangement outside of catagory view

-Superbar: No quick classic mode, or slightly updated (size wise) classic. Shoulda focused more on making quick launch better with better tab integration*. I hate icon scrubbing!

-Icon/font sizes in many areas of exporer are just too small. Explorer also lacks button customization that should mimic the Live suite.

*I truly hate that Office doesn't use tabs.

http://lifehacker.com/5345338/officetab-ad...icrosoft-office