• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

What do you absolutely hate about beloved Windows 7?

VAVA Mk2    0
Pricing in Europe, MS seems to think the Dollar and the Euro are equivalent, so we are overcharged by 40%

Maybe it is Microsoft's way of saying eff you to the EU as they constantly try and penalize MSFT for one thing or another.

gregrocker    0

Here you have this great operating system that, to me, is the best thing that has come along since the invention of the computer, yet I cannot get my IE8 windows to hold their size at all. For awhile in some of the beta builds, they would hold it sometimes if you clicked the maximize (middle) button enough after resizing, but now they open in ridiculously small size and no matter what fix from the past you apply, no matter how much googling or asking forums, the idiot windows will not open to a size I want. And IE8 otherwise is the best ever and finally beats Firefox, which makes the little SOB glitch even more maddening. :angry:

O.G    0
Maybe it is Microsoft's way of saying eff you to the EU as they constantly try and penalize MSFT for one thing or another.

Maybe the EU is tired of MS using it to subsidize cheap prices in the US and elsewhere. And might I remind you that there would be virtually no litigation in the EU against Microsoft if it were not for private companies filing complaints in the EU (mostly because the US courts are useless). Or do you also blame the courts when they sentence shoplifters or jail murderers?

ToneKnee    308
Maybe the EU is tired of MS using it to subsidize cheap prices in the US and elsewhere. And might I remind you that there would be virtually no litigation in the EU against Microsoft if it were not for private non-european companies filing complaints in the EU (mostly because the US courts are useless). Or do you also blame the courts when they sentence shoplifters or jail murderers?

Or it could be the price inflation plus the taxes we pay since the dollar is so weak and the US don't pay taxes when buying products like this.

O.G    0

Microsoft's pricing in the EU has always been a bone of contention, and there is more to it than just the addition of sales tax or rate of exchange. Microsoft are not the only ones, just one of the worst.

petrossa    156
Agreed about the not being able to run as admin, even with UAC all the way down you will run into access denied prompts on some system folders. It would be nice to be able elevate to a true admin (not just run as administrator or disabling UAC) but I can live without it.

just write a script that will: take ownership of offending folder as Everyone, remove all Permissions, add Everyone as sole Permission holder, give Everyone full control.

Run script on all system folders.

gregrocker    0
just write a script that will: take ownership of offending folder as Everyone, remove all Permissions, add Everyone as sole Permission holder, give Everyone full control.

Run script on all system folders.

The first thing I do when I clean install is google "enable administrator account" + run command as administrator, then log out and log back in as Administrator, next go into User Accounts choose manage another account to delete your named account + files. Now you are running in Adminstrator Account permanently. Not recommended for shared computers or total noobs who need to be asked twice about everything they do.

PGHammer    1,482

I have only one gripe, and it falls in the quibble/nitpick category - installing 7 clean from a SATA optical drive is impossible. (This is different from Vista or XP, which do permit clean installs from SATA optical drives.)

Why it's a gripe - the very fact that there is no difference between the driver used by all three operating systems for optical drives (even for those attached to AHCI controllers).

Why it's a nitpick/quibble - I have a PATA optical drive. The workaround is to cut power to the offending drive until the install is complete.

thealexweb    204

What about the removed features like Dreamscene, why not make it a standard feature in all version of windows 7?

Julius Caro    55
I have only one gripe, and it falls in the quibble/nitpick category - installing 7 clean from a SATA optical drive is impossible. (This is different from Vista or XP, which do permit clean installs from SATA optical drives.)

Why it's a gripe - the very fact that there is no difference between the driver used by all three operating systems for optical drives (even for those attached to AHCI controllers).

Why it's a nitpick/quibble - I have a PATA optical drive. The workaround is to cut power to the offending drive until the install is complete.

mmm I have a sata optical drive, and AHCI enabled and I was able to install windows 7 just fine. What windows7 doesnt let you, and the others do, is install windows7 on a disk that is not the 'primary' disk. That also holds true if the disk is not listed as the first SATA one in the BIOS

petrossa    156
The first thing I do when I clean install is google "enable administrator account" + run command as administrator, then log out and log back in as Administrator, next go into User Accounts choose manage another account to delete your named account + files. Now you are running in Adminstrator Account permanently. Not recommended for shared computers or total noobs who need to be asked twice about everything they do.

Trusted Installer permisson beats Administrator

NEVER85    248
That use to be called Hijacking a thread

This thread is about: What do you absolutely hate about beloved Windows 7?

Lets hear more of this

I hate Windows 7 because...

Oh please, give up your holier than thou attitude. Besides, you're doing it wrong. The thread isn't "I hate Windows 7 because...", it's "What do I hate ABOUT Windows 7?". Big difference.

Anyway, my one real gripe with 7 is how whenever I turn on my monitor, my resolution ends up on 1024x768 instead of 1440x900. Going into Screen resolutions and hitting Detect sets it back to normal, but it is somewhat inconvenient.

Solid Knight    511

I just installed it this morning and so far it's been all love. This would be the first Microsoft OS that I've used that I thoroughly liked.

Microsoft BOB™ 10    939

Does anyone notice noticeably slow file management/browsing in Windows Explorer after turning on the option to expand folders in the left pane automatically. It seems to be doing too much even if I browse 3 subfolders deep, then up 2 levels, then into another subfolder. My cursor is always fluctuating between Aero busy, working in background and normal arrow pointer.

jamend    0
This.

2psg476.png

Maybe I am am wrong and .. is there a way to make it connect automatically on startup ? It sucks clicking to connect.

Go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> click "Change adapter settings" in the left side menu, and drag your broadband connection into Start -> All Programs -> Startup (you have to hover over it to expand).

ToneKnee    308
Oh please, give up your holier than thou attitude. Besides, you're doing it wrong. The thread isn't "I hate Windows 7 because...", it's "What do I hate ABOUT Windows 7?". Big difference.

Anyway, my one real gripe with 7 is how whenever I turn on my monitor, my resolution ends up on 1024x768 instead of 1440x900. Going into Screen resolutions and hitting Detect sets it back to normal, but it is somewhat inconvenient.

Most likely a driver issue.

Eric    1,605
That use to be called Hijacking a thread

This thread is about: What do you absolutely hate about beloved Windows 7?

Lets hear more of this

I hate Windows 7 because...

Bzzzt! This is the Windows 7 support forum. If someone has an issue that can be fixed it is not off-topic.

protocol7    545

I'm still on the RC so don't know if this by design or a bug that's since been fixed, but if I open a file dialog box (to either open or save) I have to wait a couple of seconds for it to do some kind of refresh.

For example, if I go to the file menu now in Firefox to save out this page, Favorites and Libraries take up almost two thirds of the folder tree view, so I have to scroll down to see all my drives (7 partitions in total). If I do this right away, it will refresh and take me back up to the top of the folder tree view again. Which means I have to scroll down a second time to get where I want to go to. I can collapse the Libraries section, but Favorites also contains the link to the Desktop so I can't really collapse that. It becomes a more noticeable problem if your program remembers the last folder used and opens three folders deep on a particular drive.

Edited by protocol7

devBrian    64

My only gripe is that Microsoft took so long to make an Operating System that actually has decent driver support out of the box.

Go Win7!

surrealvortex    6

Seems to be a driver issue. I don't get this problem.

gregrocker    0
Trusted Installer permisson beats Administrator

Please explain

JesusHChrist    0
Bzzzt!

Ru-by ROD!!!!!

Ji@nBing    53
The fact that it still comes with IE (in the USA anyways).

Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off. Uncheck Internet Explorer 8. Gone.

surrealvortex    6
Please explain

What he means is that there are a lot of things that can be done in 7 only if you are a Trusted Installer. Administrator is just not enough. So, even if you are full Administrator, you will still get UAC popups.

NEVER85    248
Seems to be a driver issue. I don't get this problem.

I guessed as much, but Gateway's website is less than forthcoming about updated monitor drivers. There's nothing on Windows Update either.