Sony Unveils A New Game Machine!

From CNN ( http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/05/28/s...reut/index.html ) -

"TOKYO, Japan (Reuters) -- Sony, under pressure to cut costs and roll out hot new products after dismal earnings news, unveiled a game machine on Wednesday, the "PSX," that puts a TV tuner, DVD recorder and game player in a single box.

The PSX, which will include a hard-disk drive and broadcast satellite tuner, is due for launch in Japan this year and in Europe and the United States early next year as an all-in-one entertainment device for games, music and moving pictures. "

My Thought -

This should be a competition for MS's "xbox". Sony introduces this new machine with new features including a built-in hard drive and the use of "Mini-disks" . I want one already and I must say it's not as ugly as an xbox either :ninja:. With me being real big on the game copying scene I think this will be one of those "easily hacked" machines because that HD and the DVD-recorder built-in house a world of oppurtunities for game hackers. Oh yea, I'll also be the one camping outside of target to get my hands on a PSP.

PSP (launch by 2004 price ranging from 125 - 200 dollars)

Platform name: PSP?

Display: Wide screen (16:9) TFT LCD with backlight (480 x 272 dots)

Disc medium: ?UMD? 60mm optical secured ROM disc with cartridge (1.8GB)

Video CODEC: MPEG4

Graphics: 3D Polygon/NURBS

Sound: PCM (built-in stereo speakers, stereo headphone output)

I/O: USB 2.0, Memory StickTM slot

Battery: Rechargeable (lithium-ion)

PSX pic!

post-7-1054149057.jpg

post-7-1054149057.jpg

post-7-1054149057.jpg

those look pretty cool, too bad it's still a ps2 :p

might have to find a reason to get one when the come out.... :)

Built in TV TUner, so are they looking at incorporating DVD Recorder meets ReplayTV/Tivo into a PS?

I am wondering if MS and Sony aren't racing in a backwards kind of way to that mythical "convergance" machine?

The unit as a whole isn't meant to compete with the other consoles. It's not meant to replace the PS2. It's not the "Playstation 3".

This is just a set-top box + PS2. It looks nice though :yes:, but I already have both :p

The PSX does look like what Sony could be heading for with the PS3...in a few years, all of this for less then $350 would be awesome

:woot:

very VERY cool... i'd buy one for $175... very cool

You'll be lucky, there's no way in hell that this will be under $200 when it comes out. Tivo + PS2 + DVD writing functionality = >$200 Price.

And this is not the PS3, nor is it the PSP you keep mentioning in your post :s

More pictures:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/200...30528/sony1.htm

No, I was metioning the sony PSP as a seperate topic. I know the PSX isnt a PS 3 but so far it is refered to as that though it is just a "souped up" PS2 . The PSX is pretty big but it is looking damn sweet. Something else new I found,it's housing a 120gb HD UUUUMFFF! take that MS... :shifty:

sony1_06.jpg

sony1_08.jpg

sony1_07.jpg

sony1_03.jpg

sony1_04.jpg

I was also kind of astrange to where the controllers hooked up,but if you noticed under the sony logo in the first pic you'll see it's a push-in flap there,I guess thats hiding the ports...damn nice design.

I was also kind of astrange to where the controllers hooked up,but if you noticed under the sony logo in the first pic you'll see it's a push-in flap there,I guess thats hiding the ports...damn nice design.

The controllers plug into the back.

Something else new I found,it's housing a 120gb HD UUUUMFFF! take that MS... :shifty:

Do you still think that the Xbox is in direct competition with the PSX? :blink: :rolleyes: :no:

...the 120GB isn't even going to be used for the same reason. It's used to store captured video.

The two serve a different purpose. It's like comparing a GBA to a Dreamcast-VMU.

Playstation 2.5... PS3 will use the CELL processor technology. Please don't confuse people. Thanks.

Sony are still denying that, please don't confuse people. Thanks. ;)

Do you still think that the Xbox is in direct competition with the PSX? :blink: :rolleyes: :no:

...the 120GB isn't even going to be used for the same reason. It's used to store captured video.

The two serve a different purpose. It's like comparing a GBA to a Dreamcast-VMU.

Get a team of hackers together...we'll see what it's really used for... :yes:

This is primarily a home entertainment machine, the fact that it plays PS2 games is a bonus. Controllers in the back are much better.

This is primarily a home entertainment machine, the fact that it plays PS2 games is a bonus. Controllers in the back are much better.

I'm not arguing, but i'm curious as to why you think they're better in the back?

I can't even think of any systems that have ever had them like that.

yea i guess it's like a PS2 deluxe thing, wish i could trade in my PS2 and only have to pay like 8 dollars for the new one, that would be cool

Do you still think that the Xbox is in direct competition with the PSX?  :blink:  :rolleyes:  :no:

Get a team of hackers together...we'll see what it's really used for... :yes:

Does it come that way from Microsoft? :no: So why shoud they "take it"?

I could just as easily say "get a team of hackers and combine a TiVo with a PS2". It still wouldn't be used to 1-up another console as a selling point, since the PS2 is a machine to play games. That's where the competition is.