Sony Unveils A New Game Machine!

I personally like this myself; I dont play that many consoles so it'd make a nice DVD player for my family, with that added PS2 game option incase I do ever want to play some games.. :)

... and I'm a sucker for white/futuristic type designs ;)

yeah i thought the orig playstation was the psx. who cares i alrdy have tivo and a ps2. i have a 120 gig hdd in my pc..... maybe if the ps3 came like that id be excited but i dont see any real reason to buy this.

They should've named this the "PS 2 Deluxe Edition" ... that's what it is. The name 'The PSX" kind of throws me off because it had me sort of thinking that the "X" means thats a spot where a number should be like PS3. Sort of like the next version of something that should remain a mystery...

yeah i thought the orig playstation was the psx. who cares i alrdy have tivo and a ps2. i have a 120 gig hdd in my pc..... maybe if the ps3 came like that id be excited but i dont see any real reason to buy this.

PSX was the codename for the orignal Playstation and to distinguish it from the PS1 people call it the PSX.

I'm not arguing, but i'm curious as to why you think they're better in the back?

I can't even think of any systems that have ever had them like that.

It's not a gaming machine. This was primarily designed for the Japanese market where space is like gold dust, it's only because they're recently squashed the PS2's EE and GS onto a single chip that makes it possible to put it in there as well. Think of it as a HD/DVDR first and PS2 dead last.

I'm not arguing, but i'm curious as to why you think they're better in the back?

I can't even think of any systems that have ever had them like that.

It's not a gaming machine. This was primarily designed for the Japanese market where space is like gold dust, it's only because they're recently squashed the PS2's EE and GS onto a single chip that makes it possible to put it in there as well. Think of it as a HD/DVDR first and PS2 dead last.

Ah ok. Makes sense.

hmmmm I dont know why sony is wasting time with producing another version of the ps2 since the ps3's suppose to be released a little time afterwards. Who knows,maybe by the time this hits us they'll come to their senses and throw a new chip in it then call it the ps3....

This isn't about consoles, they didn't make this for gamers. They made it for the suits working 9-5 who work in Tokyo city centre and want a sleek all in one DVDRW + HDD combo with the added ability of playing playstation games. This is not in competition to the PS2, this is not in competition with Xbox, this is not in competition with Gamecube, this is not in competition with PS3. Sony said themselves the PSX will be marketed as a high end electronics product. This is not a console.

This isn't about consoles, they didn't make this for gamers. They made it for the suits working 9-5 who work in Tokyo city centre and want a sleek all in one DVDRW + HDD combo with the added ability of playing playstation games. This is not in competition to the PS2, this is not in competition with Xbox, this is not in competition with Gamecube, this is not in competition with PS3. Sony said themselves the PSX will be marketed as a high end electronics product. This is not a console.

Thank you. Couldn't have said it better myself ;)

dazzla,that makes perfect sense. I'd most likely get one so I can rid myself of the dvd,tivo,pc,and game cords on my t.v set. :)

And that's going to be the main attraction in Japan where space is a premium. When Sony added DVD playing abillities to the PS2, the DVD market in Japan grew 800% overnight. They aren't stupid ;)

dazzla,that makes perfect sense. I'd most likely get one so I can rid myself of the dvd,tivo,pc,and game cords on my t.v set. :)

Don't get rid of the PC :o :p

This is basically the same type of deal as the Panasonic Q (hybrid DVD player and GameCube). The Japanese get ALL the cool toys.

I would be EXTREMELY surprised, if we ever see this in the US.

Eat my words...

Well here's an interesting twist on the videogame console wars. Sony has just introduced an upgraded version of their PS2, dubbed the PSX, which comes with a built-in DVD recorder, a TV tuner and 120 gig hard drive. It's also designed to let you download movies and other multimedia content from the Internet. It's expected to street next year in the States after a Japanese rollout before the end of 2003. The idea is to make the PSX the centerpiece of your home entertainment system. You can read more here and here via CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/05/28/s...reut/index.html

http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/28/commentary...aming/index.htm

hmm this could be interesting indeed. I'm sure Microsoft wont like the whole idea of the "media center" ripoff (call it that if you will - I sure do!)

I'm enjoying the new look to the unit.

One thing... the article denotes the recording function of the PSX to be "similar to TiVo"... didn't Sony make a deal with TiVo regarding its capabilities to debut on its future systems? Perhaps the PS3... But I only comment in regards to questioning, will it have all the same functions as TiVo?

As some of you may know, with TiVo you can set it to record anything with keywords that you set. (I don't own a TiVo... but I want one... so if this is a function that this unit will offer, I'm interested. ;))

hmm this could be interesting indeed. I'm sure Microsoft wont like the whole idea of the "media center" ripoff (call it that if you will - I sure do!)

Not to rain on your parade... but I would only think that Sony was at one point or another contimplating such a product... with or without the X-Box, seeing that they are an electronics company that specializes in this sort of field, where as when many say Microsoft they think "computers". When I hear "Sony", I think of many things electronic, not only the PS2.

One thing though, you have to give props to Sony for being able to keep their system to a respectable size.

I'm enjoying the new look to the unit.

One thing... the article denotes the recording function of the PSX to be "similar to TiVo"... didn't Sony make a deal with TiVo regarding its capabilities to debut on its future systems? Perhaps the PS3... But I only comment in regards to questioning, will it have all the same functions as TiVo?

As some of you may know, with TiVo you can set it to record anything with keywords that you set. (I don't own a TiVo... but I want one... so if this is a function that this unit will offer, I'm interested. ;))

Didn't Sony PURCHASE TIVO? Thought so, never been a huge fan of Tivo myself, gimme ReplayTV any day!!