[Feedback needed] Atlas, the next version of Neowin

Just some out loud thinking here:

Is there any changes that you guys plan to make to the comments that show on the news articles? Just thought it might be better for the site to display only so many comments at once as opposed to loading say... 200+ comments on hot topics all at once.

Suggestion to this would be to use sort of a "More" button after so many comments, that will expand and display further comments, sort of like Twitter works with their tweets. I say this because some sites use pages ( [1] [2] [3] ...) and it sucks simply because the comments can go on so many pages, making navigation weak. Also, a "Show All" button would be useful for those that actually plan to read each and every comment, without having to click a "More" button continuously as they read.

Would certainly like to hear the devs thoughts on this if possible. :)

If a certain someone ever gets to it, we plan on doing paged comments :p

Paged comments, as in [1] [2] [3] etc. etc.?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, but navigating through several pages of comments is quite irritating. I liked dead.cell's idea, where you could have a button labeled 'Show More' that would load the next (x) amount of comments when clicked, or a 'Show All' button as well.

Paged comments, as in [1] [2] [3] etc. etc.?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, but navigating through several pages of comments is quite irritating. I liked dead.cell's idea, where you could have a button labeled 'Show More' that would load the next (x) amount of comments when clicked, or a 'Show All' button as well.

Definitely this, I hate separately paged comments like that. Show more/all is so much more convenient.

Definitely this, I hate separately paged comments like that. Show more/all is so much more convenient.

And is what we're planning, but we're yet to make a final decision.

Yeah paged comments would be amazing, and spacing them out a little more may help. The comments section feels cramped to me at the moment, a little more "air" may rectify this.

Agreed, you see it a lot on blogs, and it can get annoying

Right, you guys haven't even seen the article page.

I'll tease you a little bit: it's way different and far, far nicer.

Screenshot? just a small tiny winy one?

Well, it's almost the end of October, so maybe this thing will go live soon :-) Anyway, just a comment about the Show More/All vs paged comments. It's basically the same thing, you guys are just saying you'd rather click some text that says Show More instead of 2, 3, 4, etc. I don't really see that there's a difference if the paged comments was made with AJAX like the Show More/All would be.

Please can we have an update on this, even telling us if it's going to be out before Christmas would be something :)

Anyway, just a comment about the Show More/All vs paged comments. It's basically the same thing, you guys are just saying you'd rather click some text that says Show More instead of 2, 3, 4, etc. I don't really see that there's a difference if the paged comments was made with AJAX like the Show More/All would be.

No, if you were to click Show More, it adds more. You could then scroll up to see what you were previously looking at, without having to go back page by page to find the comment you were looking for. This way, the information is presented to you in a way where, if you want to see what more people are saying, there's an option to do that. Or, if you don't want to have to expand the comments as you read, a Show All button could easily expand all of the comments.

Overall, it's a mutual benefit for both the readers and the people who run the site, as information is only pulled on request rather than thrown at the user who may not even bother to read the comments. It cuts down on load times as well for the user, and makes navigation a breeze. :yes:

Fine...

present700f4.jpg

But I wanted neowin 7 before neowin 6, is that even possible? :woot:

j/k

On the serious side where was our October launch? :(

I don't mind how long it will take though as I'm sure others don't either, the longer it is being refined and tested for bugs the better! Oh and BTW I love that graphic of the Christmas box!

Aw, it's already November and it still isn't up :cry:. Can we have some screenshots of the progress atleast (lets call it a leak so it sounds cooler :shiftyninja:) :p.

It'll be ready when it's ready :) Please don't all repeat the same questions, it's annoying :p We're all excited too, but we're not giving any specific dates out.

Don't know if anyone else has spotted this... but for avatars with transparent backgrounds maybe make the little avatar next to the user name at the top be overlaid on the same colour background as everywhere else avatars are shown such as the forums... else people who have them designed for "light coloured backgrounds" may well get white pixeling around images depending on their file format / transparency method.

Yeah, but that only applies to GIF avatars and PNG files with binary transparency.

And it'd already be broken on the forums, since different themes have different colours.