[Feedback needed] Atlas, the next version of Neowin

Regarding the wide-screen issue: I use a wide-screen monitor but never view Neowin in wide-screen mode as it just stretches the text out to much and leaves it a lot harder to read.

The colours all seem very darkened/dulled. Finity has a very nice blue compared to Atlas (in my opinion), so maybe a choice of more vibrant colours would be possible?

I was pushed to say this because I just saw the 'Neowin in red?' tweet, and it just looks like a murky brown/red combination.

Personally, I think Atlas as a whole makes Neowin look like a much more professional news website and the more dulled down, less vibrant colours contributes to that. Maybe you'll get used to it after trying it? Nevertheless, I'm interested in what the Neowin developers have to say about that.

Personally, I think Atlas as a whole makes Neowin look like a much more professional news website and the more dulled down, less vibrant colours contributes to that.

I give you, BBC.co.uk

36ALL.png

:p

But nay, I see what you're saying. Shall have to see.

The "Zune promo" image below the leaderboard ad is one of 2 promo images that slide in and out and Dave has worked his socks off making the news page completely custom in such a way that a reader can select different filters to display their news of choice. for example (if I remember correctly) www.neowin.net/news/microsoft/windows7 would be a valid filter link which would only display news relating to Windows 7.

Great! I wouldn't need to torcher my eyes by looking at the Microsoft logo's

I've been forcing myself to use fixed-width to get myself "prepared" for the new version, and it's actually not all that bad. Takes a few days getting used to, but it's ok. The new version will be better too without that ad in the middle of the articles. I'd still prefer to be able to adjust the width like we can now, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Personally, I think Atlas as a whole makes Neowin look like a much more professional news website and the more dulled down, less vibrant colours contributes to that. Maybe you'll get used to it after trying it? Nevertheless, I'm interested in what the Neowin developers have to say about that.

It's mostly the right-sidebar I have a problem with. It looks boring and tasteless. Almost as bad as being in one of those beige doctor's office.

Don't see why you can't have your cake and eat it too with the site redesign. :/

It's mostly the right-sidebar I have a problem with. It looks boring and tasteless. Almost as bad as being in one of those beige doctor's office.

Don't see why you can't have your cake and eat it too with the site redesign. :/

Well, what would you like to see instead?

Well, what would you like to see instead?

Here was my previous post in the thread:

So far, I like the layout, but not the colors. It's a lot more bland now, and even as a guy, I find this to be a bit TOO boring. Finity is currently in your face, without being overwhelming; a beautiful arrangement of gradients that I personally find enjoyable. I also do not really care for the tab menus at the top. Too tall, weird on the corners, and, to me at least, I feel the current tab color with the line going under the site logo seems to not blend so well.

Now, my to my other concern: the Latest Community Activity portion has the blandest of the colors displayed. It's just so dry, like the gradient behind the tabs for instance. Also, the font for the topics seems a bit large. Either that or the font used just isn't fitting well. Poll could use darker colors for the bars maybe.

As for the main portion, everything from the Zune image and down appears fine to me, including the tabs shown there. Really feel you guys did great there. (Y)

Hope my feedback has been useful. I can't help but ask though, will Finity still be an option for the main page or will it be removed?

Willing to accept the rest entirely at this point, but I still stand by what's not struck out. Sorry also if I seem to be a bit of a dick about it though. I love this site, and how it looks in its current form. I understand how much of an impact this redesign will have as well. Still, I simply feel the colors for the right side specifically could use an improvement, the poll especially. Hell, here at the college, I have to tilt the monitor just to make the poll bars more clearly visible on the LCDs. :/

Sorry also if I seem to be a bit of a dick about it though.

You've managed to come up with reasons why you don't like something in the design, not being a dick at all ;)

Some minor revisions have been made to the sidebar, but I'm not sure if I should post them here. The problem is we don't want the sidebar really jumping at people, but I agree with you that it shouldn't feel too bland.

You've managed to come up with reasons why you don't like something in the design, not being a dick at all ;)

Some minor revisions have been made to the sidebar, but I'm not sure if I should post them here. The problem is we don't want the sidebar really jumping at people, but I agree with you that it shouldn't feel too bland.

I don't think the Admins would mind :rolleyes:

It's not as simple as whether or not my bosses would mind. More along the lines of the other developers minding ;) We could revert the changes before we release for all I know.

It's not as simple as whether or not my bosses would mind. More along the lines of the other developers minding ;) We could revert the changes before we release for all I know.

Any updated ETA on release?

When it's ready :p

We really don't want to put out buggy code. Right now, most everything is coded in, with a few bits here and there needing some work. But we're talking about a complete rewrite of the site code here, and so our testing is a bit more rigorous than usual.

When it's ready :p

Oh lord this reminds me of another site that have said that about a new version of the site for numerous years and it still hasn't arrived :p

I must be honest, I can almost not wait for this launch. I wonder how Neowin will function, and especially, how will it look with the new design?