[Formula 1] 2010 Silly Season

Ecclestone tips Vettel for championship

"Don't forget, next year we have four current or former world champions in the shape of Alonso, Hamilton, [Jenson] Button and Schumacher on the starting line. I can't remember the last time that happened."

If Villenueve starts with US F1 Team Cosworth, there will be another champion. He won 1997.

If Villenueve starts with US F1 Team Cosworth, there will be another champion. He won 1997.

... which would mean five WDC winners on the grid with 12 driver championships among them. Bring it on!

I am not really sure that Villeneuve has the same championship potential in all honesty

He doesn't. Certainly not in a USF1. But: Imagine the marketing possibilities with the amount of WDCs on the grid. CBE must be getting a hard-on just thinking about it!*

*Great mental image, I know.

He doesn't. Certainly not in a USF1. But: Imagine the marketing possibilities with the amount of WDCs on the grid. CBE must be getting a hard-on just thinking about it!*

*Great mental image, I know.

:laugh:

Agree with that though, its nice to see the old faces back, even though (in Villeneuve's case anyway) it is more publicity than anything else. Still, it will add some extra spice to the Canadian GP again if he is back.

sauber is said to confirm pedro de la rosa as their second driver!

I'd agree, the FIA have made a royal mess of the Renault case, and for me the accusation was correct about Mosely running the FIA like it was his own private club, I never liked him as a president and I am glad he has gone, because I have always been convinced that he has used his position to act out his own personal vendettas, particularly against Ron Dennis, and Flavio.

I have always advocated that the FIA needs restructuring, and that the teams should have greater say in the governance and rule making processes with F1, and I can only hope that Todt can reform things

Despite their mess, at least the racing aspect looks good for the future. I'm looking forward to 2010 with lots of cars, Mercedes and MS comeback. Bit sad that Toyota left, but its not the first manufacturer to come and go.

Richard Branson wanted Danica Patrick for Virgin F1

SIR RICHARD BRANSON has been foiled in a sensational plan to put even more curves into Formula One.

The tycoon wanted to squeeze a female driver into the cockpit of his newlyformed Virgin Racing team

for next season.

Branson and his backroom boys combed the planet for a luscious Virgin racer to tackle the likes of champ Jenson Button in a 220mph 19-race showdown.

America’s knockout queen of speed Danica Patrick, an IndyCar winner and regular front-runner, topped his targets – but she opted to stay in the USA.

Team boss Alex Tai said: “There isn’t really a female out there right now who could do it.

“This is a really physical and exhausting sport and they would find it hard to cope.”

Billionaire Branson argued: “I would have loved to have had a looker like Danica drive.

“She is not only good and quick, she’s a stunner.

“I believe there is room for women drivers in F1.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/motorsports/vie...vy-plan-for-F1/

I bet Tiff Needell is happy that didn't happen! :p He seems to have a serious dislike for her for no apparent reason.

I would like to see Danica in F1; it could make things very interesting, as there hasn't been a female F1 driver since Giovanna Amati in 1992.

Despite their mess, at least the racing aspect looks good for the future. I'm looking forward to 2010 with lots of cars, Mercedes and MS comeback. Bit sad that Toyota left, but its not the first manufacturer to come and go.

I personally won't miss Toyota, I don't feel with their massive budgets that they really contributed a great deal to F1, they where, to me anyway, just an example of mismanagement and poor performance.

I personally won't miss Toyota, I don't feel with their massive budgets that they really contributed a great deal to F1, they where, to me anyway, just an example of mismanagement and poor performance.

True, they did not succeed despite huge budget. But as both Honda and Toyota left just within a year, we got no Japanese team any longer. Seems they have had a pull-out fad in Japan, as Subaru and Suzuki pulled out of WRC, and Kawasaki from MGP.

Schumacher to test GP2 car at Jerez

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher will return to action on Tuesday when he tests a GP2 car at the Jerez circuit in Spain.

The German, who will make a sensational return to Formula 1 racing with the Mercedes GP team this year, will take part in a private test at the Spanish circuit, using a GP2 car run by the Super Nova team.

A spokesperson for Schumacher confirmed to AUTOSPORT the test will run from Tuesday to Thursday. The German will drive the GP2 development car in the test, which has been approved by the FIA.

"Today's test marks a milestone for the GP2 Series," said GP2 boss Bruno Michel. "It is an honour and a privilege for us to have seven-time Formula 1 World Champion Michael Schumacher help us to develop our car. The goal of the GP2 Series is to prepare young drivers for Formula 1.

"This test will prove to be very important for the future of our GP2 drivers and will be a confirmation of the high-standards and competitiveness of our Series. Michael's input and advice will be invaluable. I am confident that his knowledge and unparalleled driving skills will help us to develop a great car for next season."

Schumacher, who had to rule out a return to F1 last year because of neck problems, is not allowed to test Formula 1 machinery until next month.

Source: Autosport

Schumacher kicks off Jerez test

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher returned to the cockpit of a racing car on Tuesday morning when he began a three-day testing programme with GP2 machinery.

1263292690.jpg

The German took to the Jerez track early in the morning and completed the first few laps at the wheel of the development car used by the GP2 Series ahead of the 2010 season.

During the test, the Mercedes GP driver will focus on evaluating a number of suspension configurations in order to define new set-up solutions for the race weekends this year.

The test will also be used to evaluate updated components, including a new clutch, to be introduced later this year.

It is the first time Schumacher drives a single-seater since he tried to make a comeback to F1 last year to replace the injured Felipe Massa at Ferrari.

At the time, Schumacher was unable to race because of problems with his neck following a bike crash earlier in the year.

Source: Autosport

More photos of the test: Autosport gallery

The first one to find a YouTube video of Schumacher driving the GP2 car wins five internets.

sauber is said to confirm pedro de la rosa as their second driver!

wow. that took quite some time, but its official since today. pedro de la rosa is 2nd driver for the sauber team.

2010 Formula One Championship grid

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

1. Jenson Button

2. Lewis Hamilton

Petronas Mercedes GP

3. Nico Rosberg

4. Michael Schumacher

Red Bull Renault

5. Sebastian Vettel

6. Mark Webber

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro

7. Felipe Massa

8. Fernando Alonso

AT&T Williams Cosworth

9. Rubens Barichello

10. Nico H?lkenberg

Renault F1

11. Robert Kubica

12. ?

Force India Mercedes

14. Adrian Sutil

15. Vitantonio Liuzzi

Scuderia Toro Rosso Ferrari

16. Sebastian Buemi

17. Jaime Alguersuari

Lotus F1 Cosworth

18. Jarno Trulli

19. Heikki Kovalainen

Campos Meta 1 Cosworth

20. ?

21. Bruno Senna

US F1 Team Cosworth

22. ?

23. ?

Virgin Racing Cosworth

24. Timo Glock

25. Luca di Grassi

Sauber Ferrari

26. Kamui Kobayashi

27. Pedro de la Rosa

@Mephistopheles

alguersuari got confirmed yesterday!

I wonder if US F1 Team will be in the 2010 championship. They are very quiet, and not a single word about drivers. Regarding Peter Windsor who is the US F1 manager, I didn't know this, but he was in the car with Frank Williams who was driving when they crashed and Williams became paralyzed back in 1986. I was reading up on US F1 and Windsor on wikipedia.

I hope Cosworth has a good engine so the new teams and Williams can be competitive. If all teams show up, there will be a lot of cars this. A lot more traffic on small circuits.

I wonder if US F1 Team will be in the 2010 championship. They are very quiet, and not a single word about drivers. Regarding Peter Windsor who is the US F1 manager, I didn't know this, but he was in the car with Frank Williams who was driving when they crashed and Williams became paralyzed back in 1986. I was reading up on US F1 and Windsor on wikipedia.

I hope Cosworth has a good engine so the new teams and Williams can be competitive. If all teams show up, there will be a lot of cars this. A lot more traffic on small circuits.

Up until 1995 26 cars on the grid were the norm. From 1989 until 1992 there had to be a pre-qualifying on Fridays because there were just too many teams. The PQ weeded out the cars which were too slow to take part in the 30-car main qualifying sessions on Friday and Saturday.

Up until 1995 26 cars on the grid were the norm. From 1989 until 1992 there had to be a pre-qualifying on Fridays because there were just too many teams. The PQ weeded out the cars which were too slow to take part in the 30-car main qualifying sessions on Friday and Saturday.

Funny thing time is. Schumacher won his first championship in 1994, and that is now 16 years ago.

Will see how it works out on the grid, I guess 26 should be fine. With Monaco becoming the biggest problem regarding traffic.