Study Suggests Being Spanked Hurts IQ

A good spanking may leave a mark on a child that's worse than the red handprint. Spanking and other corporal punishments stunt children's intelligence, new research shows.

The IQs of 2- to 4-year-olds who received regular spankings from their parents dropped by more than 5 points over four years, compared with kids who were not spanked.

"The practical side of this is that paediatricians and child psychologists need to start doing what none of them do now, and say, 'Never spank under any circumstances,'" says Murray Straus, a sociologist at the University of New Hampshire in Durham, who led the new study along with Mallie Paschall at the Prevention Research Center in Berkeley, California.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1785...ts-kids-iq.html

New meaning to the phrase, "slapped silly"?

My daughter (who got her first spanking at 2 or 3) now a Junior in High School, makes straight A's.

The suggestion was not that spanking a child dooms them to idiocy. All it suggests is that, if left unspanked, a child will have slightly improved IQ scores. Additionally, and this is no disrespect for your daughter's achievements, the connection between IQ and academic scores is often tenuous.

I don't think IQ has a whole lot to do with good grades. At least with the American education system I'm familiar with, you just have to be good at memorization and spitting it back out.

I call BS. Nothing more than an excuse for parents to be lazy and not "abuse" their children by spanking them. Kids have to be corrected somehow, and spanking has always worked. Parents that don't spank their kids and correct them at a young age are much more likely to have far worse problems in the future than their IQ.

I call BS. Nothing more than an excuse for parents to be lazy and not "abuse" their children by spanking them. Kids have to be corrected somehow, and spanking has always worked. Parents that don't spank their kids and correct them at a young age are much more likely to have far worse problems in the future than their IQ.

Totally agree. This study is pure bull crap.

My daughter (who got her first spanking at 2 or 3) now a Junior in High School, makes straight A's.

Hooray! Your daughter finishes her homework.

Academic achievements only show how responsible a person is, not how intelligent (and no, this is not a cheap shot at your daughter, but a generalization).

Jeez. Some of you need to re-read the article. It says that spanked children *on average* have *slightly lower* IQ scores.

E.g. If Einstein was spanked (or not spanked) he'd have a +/- 5 IQ score than what he had. He'd still be a genius, though...

Like everyone said, IQ does not necessarily relate to success in life. There are also different types of IQ. Sacrificing a few academic IQ points for a disciplined young mind? I say it's totally worth it.

Spanking is part of the development of all children, this type of study is completely stupid.

I agree; all of us kids got spanked as children and we were all above average in school. The only not spanking produces in children as far as I've seen is self-centered, egotistical and thankless grownups. I know one family who don't spank their kids, and they are absolute holy terrors!!

I love it how people think that 1 personal example which opposes a study proves that the study is incorrect :happy: Some people need to learn about how statistics work ;)

Yeah, almost the same way when measuring 1510 kids is a statistically accurate measure of the entire child population. :no:

I love it how people think that 1 personal example which opposes a study proves that the study is incorrect :happy: Some people need to learn about how statistics work ;)

Yeah, but it seems to happen with every article really ("They may say X but I say Y, so their study is flawed")

It seems spanking kids is one of those subjects where it's very hard to find a middle ground, it seems to either be always bad or always good (Look at this thread for a good example)

I will say though, I don't see the type of hyperbole from the "not spanking" side of the argument that I do from the "pro spanking" side.

Causation...correlation. I would suggest that these are rather self-selective results.

If the little dumb-**** is too stupid to begin with to learn that bad behavior has consequences, of course he's gonna be more subjected to spanking than the smarter kid who learns from it...

I would also suggest that higher educated parents are less likely to spank and children of higher educated parents are likely to have a higher IQ score.

It is possible that there is a correlation but the spankings themselves may not be causing the lower scores.

yeah and anyone who knows anything about statistics know you and prove anything with them and i mean anything.

yeah and anyone who knows anything about statistics know you and prove anything with them and i mean anything.

I agree to a point. You can seem to prove anything to most people, but for those with an understanding of probability and statistics it's fairly easy to expose error if you have the actual data.