Study Suggests Being Spanked Hurts IQ

I agree to a point. You can seem to prove anything to most people, but for those with an understanding of probability and statistics it's fairly easy to expose error if you have the actual data.

I was thinking the same thing.

Yeah, almost the same way when measuring 1510 kids is a statistically accurate measure of the entire child population. :no:

I never said the study was respectable did I? I said that people weren't commenting on how the statistics were collected, they were just disputing it with personal example which would have held even less ground than the study.

Yeah, but it seems to happen with every article really ("They may say X but I say Y, so their study is flawed")

It seems spanking kids is one of those subjects where it's very hard to find a middle ground, it seems to either be always bad or always good (Look at this thread for a good example)

I will say though, I don't see the type of hyperbole from the "not spanking" side of the argument that I do from the "pro spanking" side.

I agree.

Edited by Minimoose

• 3 weeks later...

Child buttock-battering vs. DISCIPLINE:

Child buttock-battering for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

I think the reason why television shows like "Supernanny" and "Dr. Phil" are so popular is because that is precisely what many (not all) people are trying to do.

There are several reasons why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking

by Jordan Riak,

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children

by Tom Johnson,

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say

by Lesli Taylor M.D. and Adah Maurer Ph.D.

Most compelling of all reasons to abandon this worst of all bad habits is the fact that buttock-battering can be unintentional sexual abuse for some children. There is an abundance of educational resources, testimony, documentation, etc available on the subject that can easily be found by doing a little research with the recommended reads-visit www.nospank.net.

Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics,

American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,

Center For Effective Discipline,

PsycHealth Ltd Behavioral Health Professionals,

Churches' Network For Non-Violence,

Nobel Peace Prize recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu,

Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps,

Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children,

United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

In 26 countries, child corporal punishment is prohibited by law (with more in process). In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Child buttock-battering vs. DISCIPLINE:

Child buttock-battering for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

I think the reason why television shows like "Supernanny" and "Dr. Phil" are so popular is because that is precisely what many (not all) people are trying to do.

There are several reasons why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking

by Jordan Riak,

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children

by Tom Johnson,

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say

by Lesli Taylor M.D. and Adah Maurer Ph.D.

Most compelling of all reasons to abandon this worst of all bad habits is the fact that buttock-battering can be unintentional sexual abuse for some children. There is an abundance of educational resources, testimony, documentation, etc available on the subject that can easily be found by doing a little research with the recommended reads-visit www.nospank.net.

Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics,

American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,

Center For Effective Discipline,

PsycHealth Ltd Behavioral Health Professionals,

Churches' Network For Non-Violence,

Nobel Peace Prize recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu,

Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps,

Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children,

United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

In 26 countries, child corporal punishment is prohibited by law (with more in process). In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

are you just part of some after school PR about spankings, who just want to spread lies

• 2 weeks later...
I love it how people think that 1 personal example which opposes a study proves that the study is incorrect :happy: Some people need to learn about how statistics work ;)

yea, it's painful to read people draw extreme generalizations from one case - their own - and pretend like they know more about people who study the subject for a living.

Yeah, almost the same way when measuring 1510 kids is a statistically accurate measure of the entire child population. :no:

it's also painful when people pretend like they know statistics but get it ridiculously wrong. :rolleyes:

Maybe thats why in Britain our MP's are not very bright.

hahah, nice one.

On a more related note: I think the authors do a poor job of analyzing whether this is a causation or a correlation. Its true kids from supportive, educated environments end up with higher IQs, but the article does not say if children that were not spanked came predominantly from such environments. I'm betting they did (no offense to you neowinians, who spank).

Oh yeah, I hope the whole EU outlaws corporal punishment ASAP. I know my government are too daft to do it.