NASA Bombing the Moon Today

NASA Bombing the Moon Today

We're going back to the moon today- to blow it up! NASA's LCROSS craft at this very moment is on its way for the highly scientific mission of "smashing into the moon's South Pole in an effort to find water. The next time someone says science is boring, feel free to laugh at them. If all goes well, about 7:31AM Eastern/4:31AM Pacific (1:31PM CET, 12:31PM GMT), the two parts of the LCROSS spacecraft will smack into the lunar surface at nearly 6,000 mph, sending up plumes of moon dust ? an maybe a ton of ice ? 6.2 miles high above the moon's Cabeus crater.

The purpose of the mission is to discover whether there?s frozen water in the craters near the moon?s south pole. If water is indeed found, it could have very important implications for further human missions on the moon, as a potential source for oxygen (you know why we need that) and hydrogen (for rocket fuel).

"Things are looking great. We're headed right for the target," says Daniel Andrews of NASA's Ames Research Center, head of the $79 million Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) mission. "The very latest data suggest we are headed for one of the very wettest spots on the moon."

"There is a very good chance we will see results," says planetary scientist Bernard Foing of the European Space Agency, who is not part of the mission. "Cabeus crater is perfect. Some areas are always in shadow, so we are quite certain these are some of the coldest places for ice in the solar system," as low as minus 360 degrees Fahrenheit.

What?s totally cool about this mission is the fact that NASA is providing several of ways to follow the launch and the mission during the next four months. If everything goes as planned, LCROSS should impact the moon in about 111 days. NASA promises the moon won?t be damaged (hummm), but you never know -there might be a Dr. Strangelove on the team. First, you can watch the launch live at NASA TV. You can also follow LCROSS on Facebook and Twitter. Finally, for pictures related to the mission, check out NASA?s Twitpic account.

e. The LCROSS will hit the Cabeus A site in the image left at 11:30 AM GMT October 9 - on the near side of the Moon.

The Lunar CRater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) is investigating the possibility of water in shadowed craters near the Moon's poles, and we don't mean "looking carefully with telescopes" investigating - we mean "Dirty Harry" investigating, hitting things and shooting at them until you get some answers. The LCROSS craft will drop a fully fueled Centaur rocket booster - yes, the type that you normally use just to get into space - to detonate a fairly impressive amount of the Moon.

This will create a huge plume of debris because the moon's gravity is lighter than Earth's, and because you just exploded two thousand kilograms of rocket juice. For a really close look LCROSS will fly right through the debris - possibly while rock music plays in the background - and then, for an even closer look, LCROSS itself will ram the moon and explode. This will be observed by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, and while there aren't yet any plans to make the LRO explode, at this level of Insanely Awesome Science we can't rule anything out.

The only thing more exciting than the mission itself is what they're looking for - water ice hidden in permanently shadowed sections of crater walls. A lunar water supply would be massive step towards a manned moonbase within our lifetimes, and if there's anything possibly cooler than exploding over seventy million dollars worth of space technology IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE, it's an actual moonbase.

View on NASA TV

souricon.gif Source: DailyGalaxy

souricon.gifNASA TV

souricon.gifLCROSS

I hate this, im all for science but only humans can create such devastation in the name of science.

Who gave NASA the right just to smash a satellite in the moon just to see whats under the surface, whos to say that there isnt something living on the moon that we just cant detect at our current state of technological development, sorry for sounding like a crackpot but i dont believe humans should be so arrogant to think that we can do what we want which includes smashing things into things weve only just begun to understand.

I can see both sides of the argument but what gives us the right to go blowing things up just to see if the theory of ice water is correct???

I can see both sides of the argument but what gives us the right to go blowing things up just to see if the theory of ice water is correct???

Well, why not?

There's nothing living on the moon, we did even less damage to it than nature does, and it teaches us things we couldn't otherwise find out unless we risked human lives.

Well, why not?

There's nothing living on the moon, we did even less damage to it than nature does, and it teaches us things we couldn't otherwise find out unless we risked human lives.

well lets just hope that when they want to bore a bit deeper their calculations are correct !

I just missed it. :(

Turned on NASA TV just when some guy in the control room packed his stuff and left. This other guy tried to give him a high five but he just looked at him grabbed his jacket and left the room. What was up with that? :huh:

I just missed it. :(

Turned on NASA TV just when some guy in the control room packed his stuff and left. This other guy tried to give him a high five but he just looked at him grabbed his jacket and left the room. What was up with that? :huh:

I though i saw that too.. :|