[Official] Dragon Age: Origins

As for the Mages, I usually LoS pull them and stun them, but yeah it is hard.. Archers too, although less damage they have some annoying attacks.
LoS pulling doesn't typically work (at least on easy, LoS may not be fully enforced on easy). I tried it before, bunch of mages knew I was there but they couldn't physically see me, they casted a bunch of non-projectile spells on me and killed me....
Is there any trainer where I can re-allocate my character+the party's skill points? I distributed them kinda wrongly :(

Sadly no, there is a reallocation mod you can download which gives you a potion you drink and it resets stats, skills and talents (or spells). The only problem is if you have more than 100 stats (it puts them all at 1 and lets you fully redistribute your stats, even those you started with initially) then every point you place in a stat ups it by 2 points but only uses 1 point to do so. So essentially, if you have over 100 stats (including your starting stats), it gets doubled to 200 stats to use. You could write down your base stats and use only that many points and ignore the others, but even when you level the new points still up a stat by 2 instead of 1.

So in short no, there is no good way to reallocation skill points. You could do so through console commands but you have to know all the skill IDs so you do not go adding a skill to a character that shouldn't have it, which can corrupt the character from what I hear. You would also have to (to not cheat) only add as many skills as you should have access to, just simply count how many you have, then remove them all (via the console) then add them in again until you have that many new skills.

Sadly no, there is a reallocation mod you can download which gives you a potion you drink and it resets stats, skills and talents (or spells). The only problem is if you have more than 100 stats (it puts them all at 1 and lets you fully redistribute your stats, even those you started with initially) then every point you place in a stat ups it by 2 points but only uses 1 point to do so. So essentially, if you have over 100 stats (including your starting stats), it gets doubled to 200 stats to use. You could write down your base stats and use only that many points and ignore the others, but even when you level the new points still up a stat by 2 instead of 1.

So in short no, there is no good way to reallocation skill points. You could do so through console commands but you have to know all the skill IDs so you do not go adding a skill to a character that shouldn't have it, which can corrupt the character from what I hear. You would also have to (to not cheat) only add as many skills as you should have access to, just simply count how many you have, then remove them all (via the console) then add them in again until you have that many new skills.

Sounds complicated :( But yeah I want to cheat without "cheating" - as in, I just want to redistribute my points somewhere else. New NPCs already have their skills auto-allocated and I found useless skills being put as the result.

As for the Mages, I usually LoS pull them and stun them, but yeah it is hard.. Archers too, although less damage they have some annoying attacks.

A useful spell against archers is Earthquake. It keeps them knocked out for a while until you can deal with them. Earthquake + Fireball or other area spells is the archer's worst nightmare. :laugh:

Well I think it should be a given that you would get some nice loot out of it, I didn't really consider that a spoiler... I didn't mention anything about the storyline or anything other than there was some pretty fun hard fights in it.

Yeah after re-reading it seemed like I overreacted, so my bad.

I didn't have huge issues with the battles, but I play on easy, so can't say I'm an expert here :p

Dragon Age is one of the hardest games I've played in a while. Pure RPG's are not entertaining but Bioware's classic moral choice system and varied gameplay make it much more exciting than the average dungeon exploration game.

The shapeshifting level, in the mage tower, is amazing!

This is a great game, but I believe it leans more towards being a warrior or rogue than a mage. The mage class isn't much fun, and most of the specialties you can get into are not too great except for maybe healing. As a warrior or rogue though, the game has many options to really go into, and the animations for killing things are great. Also like how the stories start out for each race and what not.

I've played as many characters to see which I would prefer, and I think I like the rogue elf the most so far.

I just got a copy of the game and am trying to decide on a character. I was thinking of making either a rogue or a warrior. Would I just focus on charisma and dexterity as a rogue and dexterity, strength if I wanted to be a decent dual wield warrior? I haven't played a Bioware RPG aside from KOTOR and ME so I don't know what to expect with this one - If it's going to be a little more challenging or not.

This is a great game, but I believe it leans more towards being a warrior or rogue than a mage. The mage class isn't much fun, and most of the specialties you can get into are not too great except for maybe healing. As a warrior or rogue though, the game has many options to really go into, and the animations for killing things are great. Also like how the stories start out for each race and what not.

I've played as many characters to see which I would prefer, and I think I like the rogue elf the most so far.

I think that is more of a personal opnion

I am loving my mage even more that I have all the flame, ice, and lightning skills. and even more so now that I have some skills that increase armor so I dont die as fast

Your ability or inability to play the game is a flaw?

I'm not sure where you are at exactly but by now I'm sure you know the layout and area of the fight pretty well. Use that to your advantage. Use the combat tactics to your advantage. If one group is around a corner and you have a trap maker in the party, lay his traps down. Send one guy to run and grab 'em and pull 'em to your group waiting around the corner so they run into the trap. There's all kind of things you can do.

umm I had the same problem on this part, probably took me like 10+ tries, It is way too hard for "easy' difficulty, that is a flaw imo. I still find the game enjoyable but some of the battles are infuriating.

Personally, I like the challenge of the game. I play on normal, and a lot of the fights are pretty intense.

It does require strategy, you can't just hack/slash your way through the game. I've had to re-load quite a few times and try different tactics. None of this bothers me though. The challenge is most welcome in my book.

On another note. Bioware has also agreed Easy is too hard. In the latest patch, they made easy, easier. So if you're finding easy too hard some times, and you haven't grabbed the latest patch yet, give that a shot. I think they also modified normal a bit too.

I just got a copy of the game and am trying to decide on a character. I was thinking of making either a rogue or a warrior. Would I just focus on charisma and dexterity as a rogue and dexterity, strength if I wanted to be a decent dual wield warrior? I haven't played a Bioware RPG aside from KOTOR and ME so I don't know what to expect with this one - If it's going to be a little more challenging or not.

I'm quoting myself because I want to play the game and am holding off until I get some advice as I do not want to choose all the wrong stats heh.

I'm quoting myself because I want to play the game and am holding off until I get some advice as I do not want to choose all the wrong stats heh.

According to the official strat guide:

Each point in STR adds .5 points of damage to each swing. DEX also does the same thing, but also does it for ranged weapons. As a Rogue the obvious choice is DEX, but for a warrior STR is better since different weapons require a certain STR level to even be able to equip it. Long swords, 2-Handed swords, axes and armors etc (ie Warrior weapons) require a certain STR to equip, and daggers, bows etc (ie Rogue weapons) require a certain DEX.

Rogue - DEX + Cunning

Warrior - STR only (unless you wanna be main tank, then STR, CON and DEX)

umm I had the same problem on this part, probably took me like 10+ tries, It is way too hard for "easy' difficulty, that is a flaw imo. I still find the game enjoyable but some of the battles are infuriating.
Personally, I like the challenge of the game. I play on normal, and a lot of the fights are pretty intense.

It does require strategy, you can't just hack/slash your way through the game. I've had to re-load quite a few times and try different tactics. None of this bothers me though. The challenge is most welcome in my book.

On another note. Bioware has also agreed Easy is too hard. In the latest patch, they made easy, easier. So if you're finding easy too hard some times, and you haven't grabbed the latest patch yet, give that a shot. I think they also modified normal a bit too.

I'm playing on hard and thinking of trying Nightmare. For me the game seems to get easier as I go along and get better gear and skills. The hardest part for me was the battles after you become a Warden where you had to light the beacon thing. The first fight where you enter the tower and there's a mage with some archers and a huge pool of oil. That kicked my ass a bunch of times. But since I got Wynne it's almost easy mode. A few fights I had to put it on normal, like in the Wardens Keep dlc, which wasn't really hard in and of itself, it's just some of the fights are really long.. but other than that..seems to get easier as I go along.

I'm not trying to brag or anything. I do agree that there is huge difficulty spikes at random times. I don't know how many times I've been traveling from one location to another and get ambushed by bandits or wolves from the front and back and get my butt kicked before I even realize what's happened. A lot of people on the main forums are complaining about the random difficulty spikes too.

Also I don't trust myself or my AI controlled characters to use aoe so I've pretty much avoided it as much as I can, friendly fire is an interesting mechanic I haven't ever had to deal with in an rpg game before. Although just recently I gave Wynne Earthquake, which is funny to use, imo.

I've noticed that in most battles I lost because of something I overlooked. Like one battle where I couldn't beat these four assassins that kept backstabbing my mages; they were immune to all my freeze and paralysis spells so I couldn't keep them out of range. Then I remembered that Vulnerability Hex will lower resistance to magic. Up until then I didn't have a need for it because the spells usually worked. Now I could freeze them and not have to worry about them popping out of nowhere (when you face high level assassins you'll see what I mean) and killing my mages. From one spell the tide of the whole battle changed.

Positioning is also important. You don't have to fight the battle in the spot where it started. A lot of times I run away so that I could set a trap for anyone that runs after me. Earthquake + Blizzard + multiple fireballs + lighting tends to mess a horde of thugs up pretty bad, sort of like they opened a door and walked into the apocalypse. Meanwhile, fighters/rogues can take on the boss if all the henchmen are trapped. I guess it comes down to crowd control?

I'm am not a seasoned rpg player but I am certainly not trying to real time battle my way through the game like a moron. And many other people and bioware agree with me :)

I did not have the patch yet, thanks for the advice. I will try it. A challenge is fun. Dying 20 times is not.