[Official] Dragon Age: Origins

Am I the only one finding this game way too hard? I mean even when I spend 10 min setting up my parties tactics, control each of them if needed and I still lose against overwhelming mobs. Especially at the Redcliff area, in the castle courtyard. Anyway, if the game is trial and error as I've seen so far, then most likely I will quit playing very soon even if I find the storyline really good.

Also, I don't like EA involment in this one bit. I don't like the direction in which this in going, premium content and console versions of the game. All these things don't suit a complex rpg game with a deep storyline.

Did you go to the mage area first, to get the healer Wynne? That makes it a lot easier, with her group heal. I still died some after I got her but not nearly as much. Playing on normal and it's pretty tough, which I like, I am glad I didn't pick hard though.

Unrelated question...does anyone know if at some point in the game there is a way to respecialize talent points and stuff?

Am I the only one finding this game way too hard? I mean even when I spend 10 min setting up my parties tactics, control each of them if needed and I still lose against overwhelming mobs. Especially at the Redcliff area, in the castle courtyard. Anyway, if the game is trial and error as I've seen so far, then most likely I will quit playing very soon even if I find the storyline really good.

I play on easy and both of these areas were particularly difficult. With my mage I actually held the Redcliff area on my second try, with my Rogue I had to pull them up the hill to the Knights. For the Castle courtyard it didn't give my mage much trouble TBH, I just put a Force Field on the boss and he was locked down until I killed the rest. On my rogue it was significantly more difficult, all but my Dog died and I noticed some people over by the gate (the Knights from Redcliff who I helped live through that fight), so I darted over (as my Dog) and opened the gate then proceeded to kite the boss and 2 random mobs that were left. In the end the Knights killed the random mobs then got aggro of the boss and finished him off, if it were not for them I would be retrying.

Now I am in an area where there are a bunch of blood mages (like 4-5 in a small room) and they just wtfpwn my party the second I step in the room......might try stealthing in and distracting them while my party gets in the room and hopefully I live through it long enough to kill one or so.

Unrelated question...does anyone know if at some point in the game there is a way to respecialize talent points and stuff?

I have not gotten through the entire game, but from what I have heard on the official forums there is sadly no way to re-specialize any characters. I wish they would let you do this once when you get a new person in your party (if you wanted to).

I actually did not have this bug.....they do not respawn if you leave the bottom area, they just keep coming. That is part of the quest, an overwhelming amount of monsters you need to try to kill.

I guess if I had a lot of health potions it wouldn't be that difficult, but I've been lazy and haven't been crafting them, so I only had a few for that battle. Once there is a healer in the party the game is much easier.

Also, I don't like EA involment in this one bit. I don't like the direction in which this in going, premium content and console versions of the game. All these things don't suit a complex rpg game with a deep storyline.

No you're definitely not the only one! I had to redo the redcliffe quest a few times over. I find switching to easy mode during difficult battles makes things less frustrating :p

Hmmm, since I got Wynne to heal and the blood dragon armor that came with my pre order the game has gotten a lot easier. It almost feels like cheating. You can change the difficulty?

Hmmm, since I got Wynne to heal and the blood dragon armor that came with my pre order the game has gotten a lot easier. It almost feels like cheating. You can change the difficulty?

Should be in the pause menu under options/settings.

Okay someone help me here or i am done with the game.

I am in Castle Redcliffe, and I've just gone down through a cellar and am near a large gate.

Then I get attacked by a group of archers, soldiers and a big boss guy.

My 4 man squad get absolutely smashed by these guys, all of our potions used and my mage cant even keep up with the healings.

My difficulty is on easy.

WTF am i supposed to do?

is this a major flaw with the game or is there some way around them?

Your ability or inability to play the game is a flaw?

I'm not sure where you are at exactly but by now I'm sure you know the layout and area of the fight pretty well. Use that to your advantage. Use the combat tactics to your advantage. If one group is around a corner and you have a trap maker in the party, lay his traps down. Send one guy to run and grab 'em and pull 'em to your group waiting around the corner so they run into the trap. There's all kind of things you can do.

Okay someone help me here or i am done with the game.

I am in Castle Redcliffe, and I've just gone down through a cellar and am near a large gate.

Then I get attacked by a group of archers, soldiers and a big boss guy.

My 4 man squad get absolutely smashed by these guys, all of our potions used and my mage cant even keep up with the healings.

My difficulty is on easy.

WTF am i supposed to do?

There's a lever by the gate, if Ser Perth or whatever his name is survived the battles in town you can open it and he'll help you.

Your ability or inability to play the game is a flaw?

no i can play the game.

click click, heal, target etc.

its just that on easy i would have expected it to be a little more....easy.

thanks for the responses.

i'll look for the lever

no i can play the game.

i'll look for the lever

When you enter the courtyard it will be to the north east I think. Just hug the wall on the left and soon you'll see the gate and the lever (if you're facing the gate) is on the wall to the right of it.

no i can play the game.

i'll look for the lever

There are some battles that are nigh impossible until you level up or get the proper people in your party. If you went to Redcliff first, the first battle and the one you are talking about are two of them (the main Redcliff battle is made tons easier if you let the main area get overrun and pull them up to the knights, its barely possible with the right group to actually hold the area), the courtyard fight you are talking about is made possible as long as Sir Perith survived though, even with giving Morrigan Heal and changing her tactics to use heal only I was quickly overwhelmed by that particular fight, left in the end controlling my Dog who thank the Maker (Pun intended :p ) was able to operate that lever by the door. Sir Perith and his guys rushed in and killed everything I was kiting (2-3 guys counting the boss) as my health was too low to risk stopping to heal. That combined with two different dragons you fight (they are both optional but available) are virtually impossible when you get to them. You literally have to avoid the fight until a higher level or you are not going to make it no matter how skilled you are at the game. All of this is talking from playing on easy as well.....even with patch 1.01 (which made easy even easier) there are still some battles that you can forget about at the time you come to them and save them for once you have leveled a bit.

Overall I think some battles just do not scale with easy very well, despite being on easy they can be quite impossible in the current situation. So far I have hit 4-5 battles like that throughout the game on easy, I don't know how they are even completable on anything higher.

To put it bluntly, DA:O is NOT for casual players, I suggest most (except for those very good at micro-management already) to do their first play through on easy, at least until they get use to the controls, then try harder difficulties. If you are not willing to micro-manage your party at least some, then you simply will not succeed in this game.

There are some battles that are nigh impossible until you level up or get the proper people in your party. If you went to Redcliff first, the first battle and the one you are talking about are two of them (the main Redcliff battle is made tons easier if you let the main area get overrun and pull them up to the knights, its barely possible with the right group to actually hold the area), the courtyard fight you are talking about is made possible as long as Sir Perith survived though, even with giving Morrigan Heal and changing her tactics to use heal only I was quickly overwhelmed by that particular fight, left in the end controlling my Dog who thank the Maker (Pun intended :p ) was able to operate that lever by the door. Sir Perith and his guys rushed in and killed everything I was kiting (2-3 guys counting the boss) as my health was too low to risk stopping to heal. That combined with two different dragons you fight (they are both optional but available) are virtually impossible when you get to them. You literally have to avoid the fight until a higher level or you are not going to make it no matter how skilled you are at the game. All of this is talking from playing on easy as well.....even with patch 1.01 (which made easy even easier) there are still some battles that you can forget about at the time you come to them and save them for once you have leveled a bit.

Overall I think some battles just do not scale with easy very well, despite being on easy they can be quite impossible in the current situation. So far I have hit 4-5 battles like that throughout the game on easy, I don't know how they are even completable on anything higher.

To put it bluntly, DA:O is NOT for casual players, I suggest most (except for those very good at micro-management already) to do their first play through on easy, at least until they get use to the controls, then try harder difficulties. If you are not willing to micro-manage your party at least some, then you simply will not succeed in this game.

I dont really mircomanage besides making them use potions but for the most part i just send alistar in then let my rogue heal and wynne or w/e her name is heal while I cast my AOE spells

hell I did Red Cliff without a healer even. but I need one I think for Haven or what ever

I dont really mircomanage besides making them use potions but for the most part i just send alistar in then let my rogue heal and wynne or w/e her name is heal while I cast my AOE spells

hell I did Red Cliff without a healer even. but I need one I think for Haven or what ever

So you are running a healer rogue? Must learn this build!

Also, I tend to set up the tactics to use potions @ 25% health instead of manually having to pay attention to everyones health and switching to them to use a potion, I do the same for my healer w/ lyrium potions and I still got pwned by some of the fights until I left that area to level up a bit.

After playing for 9 hours straight today, all I can say this game rocks. I really like to pause the game often and manually control every character , to set things in motion the way I like. The storyline is deep and unexpecting. The soundtrack is deep and moving. And against what people complain about the graphics I find them really nice and they make an impression on you.

A lot of small details add to the immersion like the blur that appears in the cinematics. Heck, even the way characters speak adds to that.

It seemed hard at first, and it probably is,but it's a lot of fun. And if you get the hang of it, it wil look easier. Now I just need to go to the dwarves for their help and I'm done with finding allies against the blight.

Any one else play the Warden's Keep dlc? There are some tough fights in that thing at the end. I really dislike fighting mages, with the aoe knock downs. :laugh:

Some very nice loot though. But I'm still not sure it was worth the $7 for how long it was. For those considering it, it takes probably 45-minutes hour to complete and you get some nice armor and weapons out of it.

I don't go about whining about spoiler tags.. but you might want to let others discover what the rewards are.

As for the Mages, I usually LoS pull them and stun them, but yeah it is hard.. Archers too, although less damage they have some annoying attacks.

Well I think it should be a given that you would get some nice loot out of it, I didn't really consider that a spoiler... I didn't mention anything about the storyline or anything other than there was some pretty fun hard fights in it.