[Official] Dragon Age: Origins

I'm quoting myself because I want to play the game and am holding off until I get some advice as I do not want to choose all the wrong stats heh.

Do NOT dismiss Dexterity as a warrior.

Go Dual-Wield, get your Dex to 38 (If I remember right), max-out the first dual-wield line that let's you equip two main-hand

weapons, and then put Starfang in one hand and another named weapon in the other. It ROCKS!!!

Do this with a Rogue, and have your mage Paralyze/sleep the enemy. OMFG the damage output. Boo-yah!

Anyone beat this game yet? Just interested in how long it is... I'm not sure how much I've played it (I haven't played since the first few days it was out since school has been real busy) but it seems like it's kind of long... the battles are pretty tough... or maybe I'm just not that good as a mage.

Oh, and does anyone know where the new 30 Seconds to Mars song is played in the game? Credits? In game?

The game is pretty freakin long if you take the time to get into it: Read the books, stories and don't just quick-click through the

character interactions.

A LOT of the battles are very difficult. Unless you're on Easy, it really takes some micro-managing and strategy. The only

class I would suggest EASY level for, though, is the Mage. Without having to worry about friendly-fire you can pretty

well blast through any fight.

This is War?

Yeah, that song... I was hoping that it would be included in the game's soundtrack... but it's not :(

The trailer says to hear it in Dragon Age, so I was just curious how/when. Doesn't really matter though, I made my own MP3 out of the youtube video anyway, definitely not lossles though :crazy:

I find this game too hard on Normal, and just a tad too easy on easy. I don't have a setting that is just enough for me. If I play on normal, I will get to spots that just seem impossible. I will die 10x with over 8 enemies still on screen, switch to easy, and kill them all without using but 1 heal. I find I just keep going from Normal to Easy. I wait for one of those horrible 1 sided battles, then just switch it up and own my way through it. Wish it had some sort of auto-tuning.

I find this game too hard on Normal, and just a tad too easy on easy. I don't have a setting that is just enough for me. If I play on normal, I will get to spots that just seem impossible. I will die 10x with over 8 enemies still on screen, switch to easy, and kill them all without using but 1 heal. I find I just keep going from Normal to Easy. I wait for one of those horrible 1 sided battles, then just switch it up and own my way through it. Wish it had some sort of auto-tuning.

Patience is a virtue. I also found it really hard when I played the first few "levels". Positioning your team members and using the appropriate skills/attacks/spells are very important. Dragon Age makes us realize how trigger happy we are because of all the FPS's. Fallout 3 is forgiving compared to this game.

It's hard but rewarding.

Does it ****ing matter at this point? Everyone's already read it and we're still on the same ****ing page as the spoiler.

I managed to avoid it until your post.

As far as the difficulty issue goes, I also thought it was stupidly unfairly hard at first. I did learn however that my managing a battle properly and not just going 'attack that' and hoping for the best, everything gets a bit easier.

I also realised that the forest is TOO hard to go to straight from Lothering, so I went to the tower first

Can I run this with a Radeon X800XL? I found out the hard way that Borderland wasn't supported.

yes you can, at medium-low settings ;)

Difficulty is perfect for me. I think most people having trouble with medium being to hard are obviously new to D&D rpg's and are not used to having to pause, strategize and try fights multiple times. It's so satisfying to actually have to think about even the most standard of encounters, infact I haven't had this much fun with a game since well, Baldurs Gate II.

For those having trouble with normal, slow down, make sure every party member is kitted out as good as they can be, and pause and make use everyones ability's. Look into the finer points of each classes strengths and weaknesses (for example, if you have a rogue, have them invisible before your enemy sees you and position them for a back stab. Then while your fighting, use spells to stun/immobilize your enemies and constantly reposition your rogues to always be behind their targets thus getting higher attack scores)

You've really, REALLY got to pay attention during combat. Even with some tactics set up, your party needs YOUR leadership to be effective.

The only tactics I use are for healing: If self <%75 health, use weakest healing poultice. Or for my healer, cast heal instead of using a poultice.

That's it. The rest I do manually. And remember, always, ALWAYS take out the enemy casters first. They don't care if they blast their own guys which makes them VERY dangerous.

OH. And don't forget spell-combos. For instance, cast Grease. As soon as an enemy steps in it, hit him with any fire spell.

Lake of Fire is the AWESOME!

Difficulty is perfect for me. I think most people having trouble with medium being to hard are obviously new to D&D rpg's and are not used to having to pause, strategize and try fights multiple times. It's so satisfying to actually have to think about even the most standard of encounters, infact I haven't had this much fun with a game since well, Baldurs Gate II.

For those having trouble with normal, slow down, make sure every party member is kitted out as good as they can be, and pause and make use everyones ability's. Look into the finer points of each classes strengths and weaknesses (for example, if you have a rogue, have them invisible before your enemy sees you and position them for a back stab. Then while your fighting, use spells to stun/immobilize your enemies and constantly reposition your rogues to always be behind their targets thus getting higher attack scores)

Also don't be like me and completely ignore the "tactics" screen for the whole game :laugh:

When health < 75% use least potent health item for example

I'm going to buy Dragon Age and I'm just wondering, is it possible to play it without the DVD? I have Mass Effect and it doesn't need the DVD to run so I was just wondering.

Scirwode

I'm going to buy Dragon Age and I'm just wondering, is it possible to play it without the DVD? I have Mass Effect and it doesn't need the DVD to run so I was just wondering.

Scirwode

No, sadly, gotta have the dvd in the tray...unless you buy it off steam.

No, sadly, gotta have the dvd in the tray...unless you buy it off steam.

Damn, they're both Bioware games and I've gotten use to the fact that I don't have to lug around DVD's of games I want to play, especially when I'm at work! I wonder why it's different this time around?

Scirwode

Ohhh how I loved playing this game, Bioware has never let us single player RPG fans down and I hope they wont in the future either.

The game did not exactly give the hours of gameplay it promised even though I played it through multiple times but still it was a great experience. Now waiting for Mass Effect 2 :).