What exactly makes Macs so supposedly brilliant at media editing?

This might be something off base here, but I look at it this way. I think it COULD have something to do with the audience. Most producers of digital media have enough work to do that they don't need to worry about things like file management. Another thing is the traditional photographers, artists, and musicians aren't necessarily tech-savvy, thus find Mac easier to use. I'm an avid PC user, and I find Mac much easier to use. I just don't like the way that it takes control over managing my files. I also don't like that I can't rip the OS apart and make it my own (I main Linux nowadays, but I still need Windows for certain things).

iLife isn't free though so i could buy something on windows to do the same job.

It's pretty much impossible to get a new Mac without a free iLife package...* So while it's technically a paid package and not freeware basically all Mac users have received some version of it for free.

*Not counting in Mac OS X running on unsupported hardware.

This is simply not true on modern versions of Windows (with WASAPI or via Kernel Streaming in older applications). ProTools runs just as well on Windows as it does on Mac. Logic did as well until Apple went and bought it. This is no different them image editing, video editing, or publication creation. All of these tasks can be completed equally efficiently, professionally, and easily on either Mac OS X or Windows.

Professional grade software exists for both platforms. I'll state as others have that this perception is a hold over from the 80's and early 90's and is simply no longer true. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about and clearly has not had to work with both platforms. People may prefer to work on one platform or another due to familiarity with the system or some other reason, but this does not mean the same task could not be just as easily completed on the opposing platform.

umm...I use Pro Tools constantly with my DIGI 002. I also work in studio environments all the time with HD setups. I can tell you that yes, windows does have more latency. I don't know if 7 fixed this, but XP and Vista both have far more latency than mac.

For the record I don't even own a mac, nor would I want to buy one, but it is a very real problem that still exists

As a Windows user I can tell you that the video and photo editing in a Mac is far superior to Windows. The few video editors I have tried for Windows simply suck and crash a lot. I have yet to see that happen on a Mac.

Well back in the old days, Macs were superior to PCs when it came to multimedia. Anyone worth their salt who wanted the best of the best for multimedia editing got a Mac, there just wasn't anything else close. These days, PCs are just as good (if not better in some cases) then Macs...but why do most professional studios still use Macs? probably a mixture of tradition and loyalty (i.e. they started out using Macs and have been ever since, makes no sense to switch now). Anyone who's been in the industry for a while will pretty much always swear by a Mac because that is what they were trained on and what they use for a living, it isn't to say PCs are crap just Macs are the current standard and it's gonna take a while before people even notice PCs as being a worthy tool to use. That is my 2 cents, take with a grain of salt.

i think its because of the different cultures and motivations which the Mac and the PC carries, and the direction of the progress they have made....

its something like how people say the japanese have their work culture, while the americans have their ingenuity .... mac is good for media editing because the programs on them have evolved to be so good, while PC has always excelled at gaming and stuff...

As a Windows user I can tell you that the video and photo editing in a Mac is far superior to Windows. The few video editors I have tried for Windows simply suck and crash a lot. I have yet to see that happen on a Mac.

That simply isn't true and if it were the case high end programs like Premier and Photoshop (X64 Windows only) wouldn't be making a profit .

i guess big things like expose and "small" things like native .RAW .PSD .PDF.... support right out of the box without additional software (thumbnailing in finder/quicklook and opening, editing and saving in preview.app etc.) are also part of it.

i don't really care as i like both :blush:

I work in two new media (shudder, i hate that term) offices, one uses Macs and the other Windows PC's, both are are of equal, or near enough, power and i seriously notice no difference and have no preference for either.

One thing i will point out is the Mac office spent a lot more money.

That simply isn't true and if it were the case high end programs like Premier and Photoshop (X64 Windows only) wouldn't be making a profit .

I think he might be comparing low-end products (like WLM to iMovie).

There are only a few small reasons using a Mac might be better (that I can think of off the top of my head):

• Macs still have some exclusives that media professionals enjoy using, such as Final Cut Studio and Logic Pro. You're not going to see those on Windows and if you're used to those products then you're gonna need a Mac.
  • Macs have excellent typography support, with things like Font Book built right in and other excellent third-party software like Fontcase. I also (and this is just a personal preference) think that Macs have much better font anti-aliasing than Windows. In OS X's sub-pixel rendering system, fonts tend to stay much truer to their original form.
  • This isn't much of a point, as any professional will calibrate their screen anyway, but a display on a Mac will most likely come, by default, very well calibrated for color accuracy.
  • The window-oriented design of OS X (vs. the application-oriented design of Windows) tends to lend itself better to multitasking. Things like Photoshop don't have a huge grey background around all their child windows in OS X, and Expos? makes switching between windows and applications (and also comparing two things side-by-side quickly; something finally addressed by AeroSnap or whatever that feature in Windows 7 is called) extremely easy.
  • OS X has support for a wider array of document formats by default and makes previewing them easy with QuickLook, QuickTime X, and Preview.

Edited by Elliott

You guys are missing the point. Historically, the Mac was better for design and print work. As a result studio's bought them. Macintosh became the standard. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

It's not a marketing gimmic - it's just history, and now it's a standard. There is no compelling reason to switch to Windows over using a Mac, just as there is no compelling reason to switch to Mac over a Windows box. If the industry has always used the Mac, and the product has always worked well for them, why switch?

All I know is, as a business owner the potential cost of the mac platform would prevent me buying them, there is plenty of software available for Windows, and what was true a few years ago isn't really so true now.

No random crashes is probably most important for media editing.

Apple propaganda, and absolute nonsense. If Apple where forced to open OSX up to the same range of computers as Microsoft do with Windows, you would see how 'stable' OSX really is.

i guess big things like expose and "small" things like native .RAW .PSD .PDF.... support right out of the box without additional software (thumbnailing in finder/quicklook and opening, editing and saving in preview.app etc.) are also part of it.

i don't really care as i like both :blush:

Microsoft can't include those things because they keep getting sued, somehow Apple seem to have a cloak that makes them invisible to antitrust investigations.

I think you'll find that the majority of media work that is done in the world is done on other platforms than Macs. It's not really something they have a monopoly on, despite the fact that they're milking this ancient reputation.

Apple propaganda, and absolute nonsense. If Apple where forced to open OSX up to the same range of computers as Microsoft do with Windows, you would see how 'stable' OSX really is.

It's not really an OS issue though. All the hardware support in Windows is not Microsoft's doing, it's third-party code. It's a driver quality issue, and it stands to reason that Apple has highly tested and stable drivers from their partners, which means you get a level of stability guaranteed right out of the box (which you can get from Windows OEMs too). You can't counter this by saying "yeah, well, if you had badly written drivers then your Mac would be unstable too!!" when he, well, doesn't.

Microsoft can't include those things because they keep getting sued, somehow Apple seem to have a cloak that makes them invisible to antitrust investigations.

It's called not being a monopoly. You can't investigate Apple for doing nothing wrong.

It's called not being a monopoly. You can't investigate Apple for doing nothing wrong.

That is totally and utterly irrelevant, its to do with patents not market share.

No random crashes is probably most important for media editing.

In our offices the Macs crash just as much as the PC's but to be fair neither actually 'randomly' crash that often.

That is pretty much the point though. It's not just about OS X its about the Mac. You get Hardware and Software developed together which gives you a higher operating system stability. The mere fact that Windows has to run on anything and everything is what makes it so unpredictable. Coupled with the fact that Microsoft's operating system is only as stable as the drivers its running which for a lot of components are not supplied by Microsoft. Which means if a 3rd party company (Like NVIDIA) creates a poor driver (Like NVIDIA did) it will cause poor stability, meanwhile Mac users are sheltered by the Apple ecosystem where Apple create and supply the Hardware and the Software that runs on it maintaining a high level of stability no mater which Mac you own.

Applications however is a place where both Windows and OS X users are in the same boat. If you have your Windows environment running stable and you fire up some Microsoft software its likely you wont have a random crash. Similarly on Mac OS X if you stick to software written by Apple its also likely that those applications won't crash. As these apps have been thoroughly tested by the operating system makers in an already known stable environment of their respective operating systems. But when you use 3rd party software you are relying on that company to have tested their software to a high standard and that is not always the case.

I have experienced 3rd party app crashes on both Windows and OS X a lot more than I have using the default or separate software packages made by the company that also provides my operating system. Like Office or Movie Maker on Windows or Aperture or Motion on OS X.

That is totally and utterly irrelevant, its to do with patents not market share.

Then you should have written "invisible to patent violation lawsuits," which still wouldn't have made much sense since Apple has properly licensed the proprietary formats they support, and actually are frequently sued over various patent issues. Antitrust investigations are not launched because of patent violations.

In our offices the Macs crash just as much as the PC's but to be fair neither actually 'randomly' crash that often.
Same situation for me. Our Macs crash and freeze just as much as our Windows machines. Neither get viruses, but our stations are more like terminals. They're loaded up with a program called Deep Freeze, so if we get one, reboot, and all is clear.

8.0 doesnt exist.

8.0 is 360 sound X,Y and Z

7.1 and below are surround sound only X and Y

it is just a different speaker placement configuration for 7.1 audio and the channels have to be matched to the different speaker locations

What's the best MIDI support Windows has got? DirectMusic? That was designed for games and deprecated for 64-bit. Does Windows even support soft synths at the driver level on 64-bit? Does it have anything like Core MIDI? Everyone requires purchasing more third party software. The video editing support is also **** poor (Media Foundation is half-done and DirectShow is unstable and suffers from a lot of problems notably codec hell and lack of format support/tools for exporting/creating content).

who is that pron star with a French accent?

LOL...His accent is funny.

BTW: He is the Vice President of Engineering for Apple.