BUG - Unable to change MAC address In Windows 7 32bit

We don't need networking 101 simply because your UNIs setup is different and we didnt use our mind powers to assume thats how its configured.

I've worked with Australia's Department of Commerce in support before, and even their network is vunerable to things like wireshark to find a MAC address, and yes I used it once, And that was done by turning on a laptop, and shoving an ethernet cable from it into the wall port, not having direct access to the router. So don't try and tell me its not possible.

It all depends on the router, network in general, and its configuration.

Actually, it looks like you do judging from your post. That is not the same type of network setup...it appears that it doesn't have per port isolation to the router. Rather, just normal switching between all workstations on that segment.

That is not the same type of network setup...it appears that it doesn't have per port isolation to the router. Rather, just normal switching between all workstations on that segment.

I didnt say it was the same type of networking setup? I said my original comment about wireshark replying to a comment which said quite SIMPLY: "For a fully switched wired network, it is important for security. Nobody can get your MAC address apart from gaining physical access to your computer. "

Even when using high end switches on a network, basic packet sniffing is still possible, it all comes down to how its set up by the admin.

Actually, it looks like you do judging from your post.

I am aware of that but I also said I worked in SUPPORT. I did not have the authority to configure the network to my liking, and if you don't already know, networks in buildings such as Department of Commerce all work to National government hardware and configuration standards. For all I know their standards have since changed as I havent worked there for a few years.

As the OP, i have a few things to say:

1) My intention was to post information so that others who experienced the same issue would know they werent alone

It was not intended to start a discussion about whether you should or why you were changing MAC addresses.

There are several reasons why you might need to do this, and im at least not needing to change it for any nefarious reasons as the kneejerk conspiracy posters assume.

Ive had the ability to set the MAC to the required address in EVERY other version of windows, till Windows 7.

Its a bug, accept it. As ive said it appears only in the 32bit version of windows 7, and confirmed.

Theres apparently a lot of ignorance in this forum and a lot of people who like the sound of their own often ill informed voices.

As for the couple of people who posted "helpful hints" saying that they could do it and inferring that i for one didnt know what i was doing and they had "found the answer simply by googling", pull your heads in, its been a problem experienced by countless people by now. Your only heroes in your own minds, because its a known issue and admitted within microsoft, and youre not looking clever to anyone but yourselves.

Hmm how does one close a thread so those who like the sound of their own ego driven voices cant add any more ridiculous comments?

Um.... I posted a solution for you?

I just tried it, in 32 bit windows 7 too, and it worked..

What error do you actually get? Screenshots would be helpful

Umm, there are hundreds of reasons.

For example, my ISP requires that you register your MAC address before having internet service. Whenever I change network cards, I would have to call+wait for hours for them to update the MAC address if I didn't spoof it.

Likewise, a University I used to work with only allowed one networked device per person on the administrative network. It had to be changed manually in an enormous text file in order to be updated. It was official policy for people to spoof their first registered MAC address if they received a new computer.

Both of the above use fully switched network, so it would be impossible for someone to sniff it.

I could go on, but it is a very important feature of any networked OS.

he's right, telus does... i don't blame him either. Their customer service is garbage.

Anyway to answer you question google in 2 seconds:

This supposedly works in Windows 7... (but I have read people doing it "the normal way" as they did in vista and XP but only certain mac address formats appear to be working and depending on if you device supports it).

http://www.gorlani.com/publicprj/macmakeup/macmakeup.asp

This is not a fix, it only allos you to start with (from memory) 12-XX-XX etx

Check google first next time btw:

Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings > right click on adapter name, then Properties > Configure > Advanced tab > Network adress

By default, "Not present" value it's on. Just click on the blank field and write the MAC address you want (without the lines, eg. 00FB0R...).

I found that on the first page after one search - just tried and it worked for me.

Dude, seriously, ive been using that method (and using it now in XP) for eons, do you really think the people who have this issue somehow didnt know about this and youve just stiumbled across the answer?

Sorry, but as ive already said all known methods of changing a MAC on a wireless connection under Windows 7 32bit fail...FAIL....FAIL

It is a problem at code level, not driver level...and hence what is called a regression bug in the Windows operating system.

Now can we stop the pointless debates please.

1. Connect thru a router (of course use the router's MAC cloning feature) or another PC which can connect with Internet Connection Sharing.

2. This can also be because of the NIC's driver. Have you tried updating to the latest ones?

3. I hope you are entering the MAC address in the NIC's properties: Network address/Locally administered address field without any dashes or hyphens or colons. Avoid using third party tools which CAN break or not work.

4. Tell your ISP that you've changed your NIC and tell him to update the MAC address to which your account is locked.

5. I could change my Marvell Yukon NIC's MAC address on 32-bit Windows 7 RTM so it must be hardware-driver specific.

Um.... I posted a solution for you?

I just tried it, in 32 bit windows 7 too, and it worked..

What error do you actually get? Screenshots would be helpful

For the record ive 30 years of PC experience, this is not my first time out....so lets accept ive tried everything i know before even reporting it as a bug to MS, should save us further "you stupid newbie" type postings....

Um youre still missing the essential point of me posting the original post, it wasnt asking for help, it was more of a notification

Youre as bad as MS first was "please upload a pic of the error to skydrive and send us a link to it"....

There is no F$%$#ing error, but you'd know that if you were paying attention, itf you change a MAC address and it doesnt stick, you dont get an error, it just shows the original MAC in ipconfig /all

You must work for microsoft...you open you mouth without first engaging the brain, and you appear to like rhetorical questions

Im bored, please close the thread mods.

Sheesh, you just try to inform people and the moonies get hold of it....

But thats the thing, if it was a problem at code level why does it work for other people too?

I've counted more than just myself saying that we could do it on Windows 7 32-bit

If you insist on saying its IMPOSSIBLE in windows 7, get a router, register that MAC address and then you can use multiple devices.

I've heard of 3rd party software to change MAC addresses too, give that a shot?

This is not a fix, it only allos you to start with (from memory) 12-XX-XX etx

Dude, seriously, ive been using that method (and using it now in XP) for eons, do you really think the people who have this issue somehow didnt know about this and youve just stiumbled across the answer?

Sorry, but as ive already said all known methods of changing a MAC on a wireless connection under Windows 7 32bit fail...FAIL....FAIL

It is a problem at code level, not driver level...and hence what is called a regression bug in the Windows operating system.

Now can we stop the pointless debates please.

I was just able to change my Atheros NIC on my 32 bit netbook.

As the OP, i have a few things to say:

1) My intention was to post information so that others who experienced the same issue would know they werent alone

It was not intended to start a discussion about whether you should or why you were changing MAC addresses.

There are several reasons why you might need to do this, and im at least not needing to change it for any nefarious reasons as the kneejerk conspiracy posters assume.

Ive had the ability to set the MAC to the required address in EVERY other version of windows, till Windows 7.

Its a bug, accept it. As ive said it appears only in the 32bit version of windows 7, and confirmed.

Theres apparently a lot of ignorance in this forum and a lot of people who like the sound of their own often ill informed voices.

As for the couple of people who posted "helpful hints" saying that they could do it and inferring that i for one didnt know what i was doing and they had "found the answer simply by googling", pull your heads in, its been a problem experienced by countless people by now. Your only heroes in your own minds, because its a known issue and admitted within microsoft, and youre not looking clever to anyone but yourselves.

Hmm how does one close a thread so those who like the sound of their own ego driven voices cant add any more ridiculous comments?

It's not normal, and it's not documented as being supported by Microsoft. This type of behavior is being experianced by those that are hacking the Microst OS to make it do something it was not intended to do, and then to blame MS.... Some people....

Just to add, I grabbed my co-workers lappy which is running Windows 7 32 bit, I was able to assign different MAC addresses to both his wireless and ethernet devices.

Umm, there are hundreds of reasons.

For example, my ISP requires that you register your MAC address before having internet service. Whenever I change network cards, I would have to call+wait for hours for them to update the MAC address if I didn't spoof it.

Likewise, a University I used to work with only allowed one networked device per person on the administrative network. It had to be changed manually in an enormous text file in order to be updated. It was official policy for people to spoof their first registered MAC address if they received a new computer.

Both of the above use fully switched network, so it would be impossible for someone to sniff it.

I could go on, but it is a very important feature of any networked OS.

get a cheap router, and use it's control panel to change it's MAC address to the registered one.

there should be no reason to have a computer directly connected to the internet.

I was just able to change my Atheros NIC on my 32 bit netbook.

No, youre right I'm Lying

For the record, im using an Atheros 5002G chipset, and have tried , at last count, 15 drivers, including the windows update catalog ones dated 5-10-2009 (DD-MM-YYY)

on 32bit Windows 7 Ultimate. No apparently im lying and dont know what im doing.

And then theres the fact Microsoft after copping a pounding form me actually confirmed that there was a known issue and it was reported by a number of people.

Or maybe you have a special version of windows that doesnt have any bugs? :)

Like i said, my original post was to inform, not to serve as "you dont know what youre doing fest" for bored 13 year olds ot those wishing to question why anyone would want to change a MAC address.

Its become clear to me that the point of trying to inform was lost on this forum. Most people would have picked that up by me not actually asking for help or comment.

If you wish to increase the size of the thread to serve your own egos, feel free...im out

No, youre right I'm Lying

For the record, im using an Atheros 5002G chipset, and have tried , at last count, 15 drivers, including the windows update catalog ones dated 5-10-2009 (DD-MM-YYY)

on 32bit Windows 7 Ultimate. No apparently im lying and dont know what im doing.

And then theres the fact Microsoft after copping a pounding form me actually confirmed that there was a known issue and it was reported by a number of people.

Or maybe you have a special version of windows that doesnt have any bugs? :)

Like i said, my original post was to inform, not to serve as "you dont know what youre doing fest" for bored 13 year olds ot those wishing to question why anyone would want to change a MAC address.

Its become clear to me that the point of trying to inform was lost on this forum. Most people would have picked that up by me not actually asking for help or comment.

If you wish to increase the size of the thread to serve your own egos, feel free...im out

are you using a geniune windows 7 ultimate

Im bored, please close the thread mods.

right!

It's not normal, and it's not documented as being supported by Microsoft. This type of behavior is being experianced by those that are hacking the Microst OS to make it do something it was not intended to do, and then to blame MS.... Some people....

Oh, you go me, im a hacker...sheesh, might wanna check your ego there friend.

Im a technet subscriber and get all my software legally thanks.

this guy Prt Scr doesnt have too many posts and every post or new thread he posts that something is not working in windows 7 while it was in xp or vista. do a search yourself

Actually ive only posted about thsi one issue about something not working in Windows 7 that did work in Windows XP

But you go ahead and make up your own reality.

Like i said, ive got better things to do, last time i try and point out anything for this forum, full of script kiddies and wannabes

Theres nothing wrong with the point of your thread but:

You brought this on yourself OP, it was the way your post was written. It was very inflammatory and trollish.

With flame baiting lines like this:

If theres any justice, MS has finally signed their own death warrant with yet another hurried and bug-laden product.

This is a feature not many people use, yes its a bug but not some crazy major bug like you are making it out to be.

Actually ive only posted about thsi one issue about something not working in Windows 7 that did work in Windows XP

But you go ahead and make up your own reality.

Like i said, ive got better things to do, last time i try and point out anything for this forum, full of script kiddies and wannabes

counter with civility, you are digging your own grave here. geez cool it down. Is your windows copy of 7 geniune?

Atheros is a lousy company anyway. I have never seen a happy Atheros owner. It might be time to get a better Network solution

you have the attitude of a 13 year old. i should know, i admin a game server full of them ;)

g'bai!

(bet 10 bucks you will be back within minutes)

Listen, weather or not you need to change an address, we were trying to help you out. At best we have narrowed it down to a hardware issue and not an OS issue, as some of us are not having this issue. But with your condescending attitude, I am finding it increasingly difficult to keep trying to get to the root cause.