BUG - Unable to change MAC address In Windows 7 32bit

lt8480
I concurr. Prt Scr, learn to use google =/

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10663595

It goes for the rest of you too. Suggestions & help or stfu.

A few people did post suggestions and it concludes its a driver issue not Windows, other people are having similar "issues" but only on specific hardware. Every time someone suggested or posted a link the OP just said it didn't work and its a problem with Windows 7. This is similar to many of the Vista complaints - it is not Windows but the manufactures you need to contact. Windows do supply generic drivers but often they are limited in what you can do. Therefore...

The OP should try to contact the manufacturer - not Windows. Or alternatively if they needs such a quick fix go purchase a new network card and search on-line if that particular card has problems first. (top manufactures only charge ?10 for gigabit network cards)... no doubt there is a problem with this solution as there is with everything else it seems.

If someone has tested it and it works - post the exact model of your card and then the OP can definitely solve the issue and stop believing it to be a fault with Windows.

Jim K

what? I can't change my MAC address? Win 7 sucks! *reinstalls Win 3.1*

Edited by jjkusaf
PurePhoenix
If someone has tested it and it works - post the exact model of your card and then the OP can definitely solve the issue and stop believing it to be a fault with Windows.

It is a windows fault. Didn't you read properly? even the bundled-with-W7 WHQL drivers have the issue.

I have the issue with a RTL8168 and RTL8139 users have it too (And many various other issues).

Make, model, drivers and every other variable have already been accounted for among various other forums.

It's a W7 core issue. just because you don't have it or have never gotten it doesn't mean the issue doesn't lie with W7.

lt8480
It is a windows fault. Didn't you read properly? even the bundled-with-W7 WHQL drivers have the issue.

I have the issue with a RTL8168 and RTL8139 users have it too (And many various other issues).

Make, model, drivers and every other variable have already been accounted for among various other forums.

It's a W7 core issue. just because you don't have it or have never gotten it doesn't mean the issue doesn't lie with W7.

Yes I can read... I never claimed the RTL8168 should work. I was saying if other people can get different LAN cards to work with Windows 7 surely it is completely obvious that if you use the same LAN card they are using it will also work?

The fact you state your problem is with an RTL8168 and other people who have RTL8139 - maybe again this is a glaringly obvious pointer that the problem lies with the Realtek drivers or hardware?

The fact it doesn't work with W7 WHQL drivers doesn't mean its a Windows 7 issue. As you are not "meant" to change your MAC address, I doubt it is included in the check for passing WHQL drivers.

The problem is linked to Windows 7... I'll give you that, but I would think the only way Microsoft can solve the issues is by replacing the hardware (for an alternative not the same model) or writing new drivers for the card.

I'm still going to suggest finding a new LAN card ... search on-line if it has the same issue, if it doesn't then buy it and then its sorted.... I was suggesting someone gives the make/model etc. of their card (which works) so they do not even have to search saving some time.

Ricardo Gil

Networking 101 - Don't spoof your NIC's MAC Address.

If you need it due to ISP registration, change it in the Modem/Router.

If you need it somewhere else, you're doing it wrong.

Subject Delta

As a lot of other people can get it to work, the problem is obviously restricted to a few cards, and is a driver problem not an OS problem. Instead of complaining about Windows, fire off an angry email to the people that write drivers for your card.

• 3 weeks later...
Magus WRM
...and is a driver problem not an OS problem. Instead of complaining about Windows...

Disagree with that, I'm using the same USB Wireless adapter in my PC and in my Notebook.

My desk has the build 7600 (but did not enable windows auto-update since install) and my Notebook has the same 7600 build but with auto-update enabled.

In desk I can change it's mac, in Notebook can't :pinch:

Ps: Using the same driver (.inf, .sys & .cat) files.

Thanks,

S550

Ptr Scr acts like a whiny teen for someone with "30yrs".

+John Teacake

Theres a program called SMAC that can do it, Dont know if it works in Windows 7 though. We had to spoof a mac address (Admittedly with Windows 2003, Using SMAC). We had a physical box that some software liscence was tied to the MAC address once we virtualised it it obviously didnt work so we spoofed the MAC address within Windows and it works fine. We bought the sofware had the liscence etc, Just moved from P to V.

Magus WRM
Theres a program called SMAC that can do it...

Already tested all "mac something" programs, all they do is to change at registry (tested TMAC, SMAC, AMAC...)

ibetheone

Solution solved after 30 minutes of research.

Windows 7 is very strange on changing Mac address, it can only be done successfully if you start the MAC adress on the first two characters start from 12 XX XX XX XX XX (You can put any number after 12)

I have tested it and and its verified to work.

I used Technitium MAC Address Changer v5 Release 3 to change it.. make sure to put the 12 first!

Download here - http://www.technitium.com/

Also you can use, http://www.gorlani.com/publicprj/macmakeup/macmakeup.asp

nokiaxion

You actually can't change the MAC address. It is like Halloween; You can put a mask on (MAC spoofing) but a good network admin can remove the mask and see your real MAC address....

So, no. You cant actually change your MAC address.

And like said. This has no purpose at all (except illegal purposes)

Magus WRM

When we say "Change" we means "Spoof", ok?

Every-other O.S. let you change it.

Let me list some of then:

1 - Me, as a win7 owner, can't access internet at my college because there is someone else (I don't know who) with the exactly same mac (the internet there is open, no needs to register), everytime I try to connect it's take a long time to connect (dhcp fails) and access internet.

2 - Study proposals: not now, but 2 years ago I had a "homework" that's was to simulate a mac clone and study it's problems and what can be done to prevent it (I study computer science, and had a network class).

3 - Some ISP assign the IP with MAC, and if you have two pcs (but not connected at the same time) you have to a) buy a router or b) clone your mac on both pcs (very expensive that last one, uhn?)

4 - Any another? Ah yes, "hackers" loves it. So yes, use WPA2 or some other security way to protect against they.

That's the usefull of changing mac, and micro$oft decided to deny all of those because of "security" - so I think, the only S.O. who can't change it's mac is Win7... very, very security way.

ibetheone
You actually can't change the MAC address. It is like Halloween; You can put a mask on (MAC spoofing) but a good network admin can remove the mask and see your real MAC address....

Yeah thats what WIDS and RIF fingerprinting are for to block mac spoofing. Yeah what if your using two computers and one of them is sharing the internet with the other one with the spoofed or non-spoofed mac address, do you think the network admin would still be able to see the other pc's mac address? I doubt it lol ;)

You could use this for network security purposes only, it doesn't have to be for illegal purposes. It's a good way of testing those WIDS systems out, to make sure they are doing their job.

DDStriker
This isn't a bug. It's hacking. And depending on what you are planning to do, could be considered illegal.

spoofing a mac is illegal it depends on what you intend to do with it and in this case it doesn't appear to be a malicious attempt

Because you can't change your MAC address? ****ing fail.

by change he means spoof, common sense use it.

There shouldn't be any reason to have to SPOOF the MAC address to connect to the internet.

There shouldn't but there apparently is

1. Your ISP is stupid, I only ever had to register a modem MAC. Why does your ISP not just give you a ID/PW to authenticate? Thats simpler by a LOT.

2. Your University is stupid, Mine allowed 4 MAC addresses per student and the student could add or remove and MAC's they wanted any time via a website.

Ptr Scr acts like a whiny teen for someone with "30yrs".

probably due to the responses being given he asked for a solution not for a fairy tale about hacking and whos university is better based on mac addresses limitations and pointless insults against an isp...

+BudMan

"but a good network admin can remove the mask and see your real MAC address...."

Where do people come up with this stuff??

You got my curiosity up where did you get such info? Please tell me your a "good network admin" so you explain how you can do this. So your saying you can send traffic to your changed mac, since you don't know what your original is!! Nor is the machine going to listen for traffic on it. And somehow tell the machine to send out the original mac.. Since it wont be using it with the traffic it puts on the wire -- since the mac has been changed as far as the stack is concerned on what mac it uses and listens for.

I find your claim highly unlikely -- and well above "good" network admin.. Since even being modest I would say my skill sets would rank as atleast "good" and I know of no way to do this.. Nor do I even believe it possible -- so if there is way to do this, its way above "good" level ;)

+John Teacake

Exactly what BudMan said unless they document EVERY device that is attached to their network before hand i.e getting the device and physically seeing the MAC address label or whatever which I highly doubt they have they might be able to figure out if someone plugs anything else into the network although they would have to be VERY on the ball to notice that.

Shaun N.

I have submitted a similar "BUG" to my banks website, When I log on to my account I can't increase my balance by pressing the "+" key.

Owen W

Haha...yes...your MAC address is Hardware based and locked to your PC. Sorry mate, you're out of luck.

Just out of curiosity, can you please show me the "ever growing bug list"?

I could show you one for XP, which won't...ever.. be fixed.

Edited by Owenw
bornslippy

If you got a ASRock MB you can download their MAC tool to change your onboard LAN chip MAC address. I've done it a couple of times, after a BIOS flash had nulled the chips MAC address to FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF.

Shadrack

My ISP (comcast) uses the mac address of my cable modem as part of my authentication. If I switch out my cable modem I have to call them up with the new MAC. I think that's a good idea.

But you shouldn't need to change (spoof) your MAC address of your network adapter.

+BudMan

"your MAC address is Hardware based and locked to your PC. Sorry mate, you're out of luck."

JFC people do you live in a cave -- changing your MAC is no big deal, takes seconds to do..

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : local.lan

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-9B-03-AC-A7

post-14624-1259298064.jpg

ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : local.lan

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A1-B1-C1-D1-00

As to comcast registering your mac.. Sure your modem is registered -- and takes like 10 minutes to register a new one, you don't even have to call them.. Just need your account number.. Connect your new one, wait a few minutes -- then try to get on the internet and no matter where you try to go you will get directed to their registration page.. I just did this a few weeks ago when I got a new docsis 3 modem that I bought from newegg, and then turned in my old one to save the 3 bucks rental fee, etc.

As to a bug with win 7 32? I run 64 and as you can see took like 3 seconds.. Guess I could fire up a 32 bit version to test, I find it unlikely that its a issue and more related to his nic driver, etc.

edit: getting your image to show up on neowin is more work than changing your mac

here

newaddress.jpg

mrp04

Where do these people get these ideas from?

It is not illegal to change your MAC address and it is supported in Windows 7.

I have tried to do it on 3 different PCs and it worked fine.

Magus WRM
...and it is supported in Windows 7...

Did you try wireless interfaces? Local LAN works fine, but wireless don't.

Magus WRM

Found a Solution :laugh:

Just downgrade the drivers, it just may work.

I tested older Realtek drivers (from 2007, to Vista, but works fine for Seven too) in desk and notebook, both working fine now, I can finally spoof my mac and access internet without any problems :D

It was a bit hard to find, but there is the two working mac-spoof drivers for RTL8187B and RTL8187L.

* I made a 'mod' driver that includes 'network address' property in driver properties. The original (WHQL) works too, but you will need to change your mac directly in registry or use same mac-change program.

Post your working mac-spoof driver link here :)

See ya,