More on LIVE Bans, HDD Crippling, Possible Ban Causes

I havent hooked my xbox to xbox live in a couple of weeks, I'm never going to again :p My two mates both got banned (one didnt even play any games from july until now), so I know I'm banned, but I can still install games to hard drive this way, boo yah!

Im in the same boat..

Will they send me an e-mail when they ban me? Im not gunna connect to live until a better FW comes out.

Im just gunna keep checking my inbox in the meantime :p

Im in the same boat..

Will they send me an e-mail when they ban me? Im not gunna connect to live until a better FW comes out.

Im just gunna keep checking my inbox in the meantime :p

Nahhh they only send an e-mail when they ban your gamertag. So yes, this time we're self-banned :p !! loosing game installs is something I can't afford right now with my defective (yeah MS, DEFECTIVE) disc drive.

Nahhh they only send an e-mail when they ban your gamertag. So yes, this time we're self-banned :p !! loosing game installs is something I can't afford right now with my defective (yeah MS, DEFECTIVE) disc drive.

Modified defective ;)

Even if the numbers are overinflated a little bit, that is still a TON of consoles. You know even with the load of consoles banned, there are probably still 2-3x as many out there that aren't showing just how big of an issue this really is for MS.

Well MS were able to tag something for Forza 3, so unless conspiracy theories want to rise about them being able to detect the firmware or the ABGX (?) verifying database is crap, the rip must be the issue.

As MS were the publisher in the US, they knew where the game had actually shipped and been leaked, so when people started popping up with the game in places that shouldn't have had it, they were banning them. Or so they say, it could have simply been a test run for their new detection scheme.

Its just too much of a coincidence that MS releases a small update (the one to prepare for Facebook, LastFM, etc - yea ok!!) and within two weeks thousands of people get banned.

Actually that IS a coincidence, for the most part. People have been banned before even recieving that update (been offline for a month or two). What that small update brought to the table was the disabling of HDD installs - if you get banned before the "WPA" update, then you can still install games.

When their sales go into the toilet because of this then I imagine they will re-think the whole thing and decide they have been wrong.

And why would that happen. People don't like the Xbox because they can pirate games on it. They like it because it has great games, among other features. Why do you think it thrived so well despite the whole RROD issue?

-Spenser

Can people who get banned just go out and buy new hardware? Just take their hdd and stick it in a new 360?

Did these people get banned because they weren't playing "stealth" games? Because I heard that people flash their drives and MS can't detect THIS mod?

Obviously some people do like the xbox because it can be modded, and also the great games + price.

Those banned are the pirates who actually want to go on live, and are likely to buy a new xbox + live subscription so they can continue.

When their sales go into the toilet because of this then I imagine they will re-think the whole thing and decide they have been wrong.

Most people have probably dabbled in a bit of yar yar here and there, but when forced to buy games, well, you look for good deals and buy them. Or at the very least you rent.

People who buy PS3s have no choice and well, you'd be surprised how people get their morals back on track when their friends are enjoying good games but they're sitting sulking cause Mr L337H4x0r hasn't bypassed PS3 security yet.

If MS locked the 360 down completely it would actually be amazing, there would be so many tears cried but pirates would have nowhere to go except the Wii :p

For the sake of being the devils advocate, I'd really much like to see how the entitlement generation dealt with the console scene if none of their 360/PS3 games could be pirated. It would be an interesting psychological experiment at the very least :p

Edited by Audioboxer

It seems to me that MS bans just enough to show that they can and that 3rd party devs can be happy. You think it's a coincidence that the PC is getting more and more console ports now? Devs are tired of piracy in gaming so the more closed the system plus the easier it is to code for, the more support that will get.

I hate to break it down to all the PC fans, but I think sales numbers speak for themselves in this regard.

Modified defective ;)

nope, nothing to do with that, for example Munky's one failed and it wasn't modded, and many many more.

If anyone wants to know if your box is banned without risking you HD log into xbox.com, register your xbox (if you didn't do it before) and request a repair service, if it's banned there will be a "service unavailable" error, if not the form will be displayed ;)

nope, nothing to do with that, for example Munky's one failed and it wasn't modded, and many many more.

If anyone wants to know if your box is banned without risking you HD log into xbox.com, register your xbox (if you didn't do it before) and request a repair service, if it's banned there will be a "service unavailable" error, if not the form will be displayed ;)

Keep in mind that this technique isn't perfect. For some people, it reports their console as being banned even though they're not and for others, it lets them get past that page right up to the submission stage before rejecting it.

Umm what would you know about my consoles :laugh:

I can't help thinking that the Xbox 360 second hand market is gonna get flooded with half-useless consoles now - and who's going to buy one without testing it first?

You would be amazed how many dont care

Some people just dont care for the online world :p

Umm what would you know about my consoles :laugh:

yeah :( I'm so naive!!!! :rofl:

I can't help thinking that the Xbox 360 second hand market is gonna get flooded with half-useless consoles now - and who's going to buy one without testing it first?

here in Argentina is already flooded with crippled boxes :rolleyes: oh well the 3rd world anyway