More on LIVE Bans, HDD Crippling, Possible Ban Causes

Point taken. Personally for me modding Xbox was for media support, XBMC rocked. After Microsoft added much of the functionality in 360 (though nowhere near XBMC) I kind of lost interest.

I don't think region free is the reason. All I see is discussion about running pirated games. That's why I am surprised it

hasn't hit PS3 yet. It was probably cost(before price drop) or market penetration.

Nah I never bought that argument, or the PS3 has no games argument or PS3 costs $600 (in relation to OMG modders won't touch the thing because of these).

The 360 drive was modded how long ago? Like 2007? The install base was probably around 10~15 million (guess), and the console itself while not PS3 expensive, was still at a fair price. Yeah DL DVDs were reasonably cheap, but that's not the modders concern anyway, their concern is successfully modding the console and taking the prize - It's up to the pirates to be concerned with media prices/availability.

The community of people who work towards doing these things like to be the first to do it, they don't sit around saying we better wait 4 years till Blu Ray burners/discs drop in prices so the scene groups rips can be played cheap by the piracy kiddies. Heck the actual scene has been ripping PS3 games from the get go.

It's obvious why it hasn't been done, the 360 is a rock as well, neither console can be exploited, all that let MS down was the 3rd party DVD drives they were outsourcing were easily compromised. Not so much now with the LiteOn, and I think there's a new drive that can't be modded at all yet (at least with public knowledge).

That's why all the hoaxes surrounding the PS3 were "ISO loaders", which is practically a complete joke considering how closed off these operating systems are. Blu Ray drives are newer technology and Sony probably has them tied up better to the operating system/whatever security system they have in place compared to MS.

Fact is with consoles that basically need a constant connection to the internet for "full use", coupled with them being closed hardware/operating systems, piracy on consoles is a declining topic - Unless you are willing to castrate your console functionality in the name of saving a buck on your games. You can't fully trust all these 360 firmwares with the "can't be detected, STEALTH" and all that jazz, MS will never tell anyone when they find a way to detect, hence 600,000+ consoles going down the drain. You're always in the dark as a pirate, aside from belief from the creators of what they think is the case.

The manufacturers/devs and whole gaming scene is winning right now, the pirates are losing. Hopefully this plays into our favour though, and game prices stop being ridiculous (MW2 RRP).

Edited by Audioboxer

Also something worth considering - much of the 360's technology is an evolution of the Xbox1's. The DVD format, for example, is nearly identical, the 360's dash is an upgrade of the Xbox1's (which itself was based on Windows 2000!), the HDD uses the same format and so on. So Hackers essentially had a head start with the 360 before it was even released.

The PS3 is ENTIRELY new and probably a lot more complicated to deal with as well. It may never be hacked, but then again as AB points out, even the 360 is only hacked to a very limited degree.

So..i am yet to sign into live for about two weeks now...what should i do? lol

Really wanna play MW2 online...

If your drive is modified you'll be banned.

So..i am yet to sign into live for about two weeks now...what should i do? lol

Really wanna play MW2 online...

Should have bought it for PS3? If you wanted to play online, why did you mod in the first place?

Well, I'm still waiting for mine to get back to me from repairs, so I can't play anything at all.

...or just wait for it to RROD. :laugh:

Sorry... couldn't help myself.

Yeah, but who knows, by that time we could be talking about MW4.

Our son has had the xbox in his room for a while, as such it's not been online in a while. But even with knowing that our xbox isn't modded (didn't even know that was possible), just reading the xbl forums makes me nervous about plugging back in. What if they have screwed up and some are getting wrongly banned. My son got his xbox as a gift last Christmas from a family member who really don't have money concerns. We on the other hand can't afford a new one if they screwed up.

If your drive is modified you'll be banned.

They haven't banned every modified drive. :laugh:

Just go online and try it, if your banned its because they logged you a while ago.

They haven't banned every modified drive. :laugh:

Just go online and try it, if your banned its because they logged you a while ago.

If you've had your drive modified for a long time and have played your fair share of copies then yeah there's a very high chance you're banned.

Yeah sure if you modded with iXtreme 3 days ago you might be okay. Longer as well, if you've HARDLY been on XBL at all.

But most people with some decent online play time are nuked.

Our son has had the xbox in his room for a while, as such it's not been online in a while. But even with knowing that our xbox isn't modded (didn't even know that was possible), just reading the xbl forums makes me nervous about plugging back in. What if they have screwed up and some are getting wrongly banned. My son got his xbox as a gift last Christmas from a family member who really don't have money concerns. We on the other hand can't afford a new one if they screwed up.

If it's 100% as out of the box, I am pretty much certain that you could argue the toss with Microsoft. But even more certain they won't ban him without good reason.

If it's 100% as out of the box, I am pretty much certain that you could argue the toss with Microsoft. But even more certain they won't ban him without good reason.

Thanks, I guess I'll just have him bring it out and we can hook it up and see, no other way to find out anyway...lol.

Thanks, I guess I'll just have him bring it out and we can hook it up and see, no other way to find out anyway...lol.

I would say that it is maybe for every 10,000 consoles they ban 1 did not deserve to be, and I doubt the number is even that much. MS knows what they are doing in regards to this, I can say that with the utmost of certainty. Everyone I personally know who has been banned is because of one reason and one reason only, their console was modded.

So as long as you are sure your son did not modify it, and the easiest way to check that without opening it all up is take off the faceplate and see if the sticker on the front towards the middle is still intact and does not look tampered with, the 360 will be fine going online. Nothing at all to worry about.

LOL I was like who on earth is DirtyLawrence :rofl:

I thought it sounded a bit more official. :laugh:

Actually I changed my Gamertag on Live to DirtyLawrence last night. I actually have DirtyLarry on Live, I registered it with the original XBox, but for the life of me I cannot remember what email address I used when registering it and when I call support they will not budge, so I had to use NJ DirtyLarry on live. So last night I changed it to DirtyLawrence, so I figured why not do that here, at least for a little while.

But Lawrence is actually my real name, I just always used Larry. Will probably switch it back here in a few days, just seems weird to me. :laugh:

DirtyLawrence is cool. Makes you sound like a James Bond henchman or something lol! :D

:laugh: Awesome. Your post has single handedly made me decide to keep it at least for a while. Thanks. (Y)

yeah :( I'm so naive!!!! :rofl:

here in Argentina is already flooded with crippled boxes :rolleyes: oh well the 3rd world anyway

It's no secret my console was flashed, what I'm getting at is you have absolutely no idea how many of my consoles have been flashed or what problems they've had.

So yes, you are naive (Y) :)

It's no secret my console was flashed, what I'm getting at is you have absolutely no idea how many of my consoles have been flashed or what problems they've had.

So yes, you are naive (Y) :)

with a double faced guy like you, that's easy ;)