More on LIVE Bans, HDD Crippling, Possible Ban Causes

I have a HDD that I bought on eBay and then changed the 20GB out for a 60GB drive... I've never done anything else on the Xbox, and I don't believe it's ever been "modified" (I purchased it from someone else who bought it new). Will this get me a ban? I rarely ever get on it... about the only thing I do on it is use WMC.

Rrod and mass bannings. Gotta love their way to get more people to purchase new consoles. :p

thats what i have been thinking for awhile... what happens if you get your console banned, then it gets an RROD , and its still within warranty.... its not like they can , i dunno, turn it on and find out that its banned?

thats what i have been thinking for awhile... what happens if you get your console banned, then it gets an RROD , and its still within warranty.... its not like they can , i dunno, turn it on and find out that its banned?

they'll know it because of the serial #

how do you plan on flashing your 360 and keep the warranty sticker perfectly intact?

how do you plan on flashing your 360 and keep the warranty sticker perfectly intact?

its not hard.. hairdryer ftw

If you're banned already they know from the SN#, so it'd be pointless to try and get it fixed if it gets RRoD. You'll just have to buy a new one, but are the new ones easy to flash or flashible at all?

they'll know it because of the serial #
If you're banned already they know from the SN#, so it'd be pointless to try and get it fixed if it gets RRoD.

not pointless at all, cause they dont physically fix your console and send it back to you. all they do is check your warranty eligibility and send you another refurb. so its a totally new serial#. so having a rrod may actually be a good thing if you're banned. lol

btw, ive been through 2 rrod and both times i get a refurb back with totally diff serials.

doesnt matter cause they dont physically fix your console and send it back to you. all they do is send you another refurb. so its a totally new serial#. so having a rrod may actually be a good thing if you're banned. lol

They check the SN at the start of the repair request process, if it's banned you'll never make it far enough to even ship it in to them.

They check the SN at the start of the repair request process, if it's banned you'll never make it far enough to even ship it in to them.

where is this documented? cause being banned has absolutely nothing to do with their console malfunctioning. there is use off it other than live. its not like youre banned from using it altogether.

I have a HDD that I bought on eBay and then changed the 20GB out for a 60GB drive... I've never done anything else on the Xbox, and I don't believe it's ever been "modified" (I purchased it from someone else who bought it new). Will this get me a ban? I rarely ever get on it... about the only thing I do on it is use WMC.

This should not get you banned, I believe the worst you'll face is that SOME day those homemade HDDs may simply stop working but MS has made no attempt at that. Yet.

In theory, at least, but we've all seen reports of people sending in consoles for "repair" that were fine, consoles that were "guts-swapped" and even (in the past, at least) banned consoles.

Everyone will get exactly what they deserve. Mod your Xbox and play pirated games and pay the price, kiddies!

:woot:

--ScottKin

thanks for the incite :rolleyes:

im pretty sure everyone that mods there 360 knows the risks.

thanks for the incite :rolleyes:

im pretty sure everyone that mods there 360 knows the risks.

And probably owns a 2nd or 3rd unmoded one for thsoe 2 or 3 games they actually buy every now and then.

Everyone will get exactly what they deserve. Mod your Xbox and play pirated games and pay the price, kiddies!

:woot:

--ScottKin

What price? Pirated games are free.

So it has finally court up with people.

Modders will find a way round this untill next time.

I had 2 xbox back in the day 1 for modding and 1 fro online.

I still have my modded xbox coz i like the XBMC on it and all the old skool Emu.

But when i heard about modding the 360 and it realyl did not appeal to me, it was already done on the 1st xbox and it looked so cool.

Its a risk we all take at the end of they day which people alreayd know but sometimes forget.

Can someone be proactive and just buy another 360 flash that and never take that online? Just use one to play games and up your gamerscore and play online with your non flashed one lol maybe I'm thinking this way because I'm a gamerscore ###### ;) I myself am fine with paying for games especially since theMUST HAVE games are a couple of months apart :)

Can someone be proactive and just buy another 360 flash that and never take that online? Just use one to play games and up your gamerscore and play online with your non flashed one lol maybe I'm thinking this way because I'm a gamerscore ###### ;) I myself am fine with paying for games especially since theMUST HAVE games are a couple of months apart :)

Thing is, if you play and complete a game on your FW 360 then you can never show off your GS and Achivements as you will not be able to take it online.

If you look at it, having GS and Ach has worked in MS favour.

Some people where against the idea, but now most people on live are GS and Ach hores and want to show everyone how good they are at games.

Cant do that if the console with all your ach/gs is banned.

Thing is, if you play and complete a game on your FW 360 then you can never show off your GS and Achivements as you will not be able to take it online.

If you look at it, having GS and Ach has worked in MS favour.

Some people where against the idea, but now most people on live are GS and Ach hores and want to show everyone how good they are at games.

Cant do that if the console with all your ach/gs is banned.

Actually he can do exactly that. He's talking about buying an unbanned console and modifying it STRICTLY for offline use. If the console never connects online to anything, then in theory it should be "safe" from Microsoft's ban hammer. And he can easily transfer his profile back and forth (with the help of a memory card or hard drive) to upload his gamerscore.

This always makes me wonder (and I don't follow mod scene anymore), how/why has PS3 survived so long? Is it the size of BD(too big to download) or just that Microsoft ****ed up when securing 360?

This always makes me wonder (and I don't follow mod scene anymore), how/why has PS3 survived so long? Is it the size of BD(too big to download) or just that Microsoft ****ed up when securing 360?

It has been a number of things, but the size of a Blu-ray disk is definitely NOT one of them.

For a start, since day 1 the PS3 has been capable of running Linux, so the majority of clever hackers out there have for the most part ignored it. It already does what they'd want it to do. That might change now that the slim doesn't do Linux support, but we'll see.

Uhh you couldn't do jack **** with Linux on the PS3, the homebrew scene on it is dead apart from a bunch of mediocre emulators. With no access to the GPU it's largely a waste of time. Yeah I know everyone is going to tell me "they guyz with the skillz" just see Linux and think "me no needy to hacky", but I think there's always an interest in breaking down/modding anything as long as a way can be found. Especially large mainstream electrical devices.

A big reason is most likely region free games, modding your console waaay back in the day had a lot more to do with allowing you to import games, nowadays it's just about grabbing region free ISOs. The past time still stands though, allowing people to play any game on the console rids of the anger towards EU/UK seeing lengthy delays from USA and/or when a game hits in Japan/Asia that's actually in English (some are) it can be imported.

That and from what the interwebz says it's quite a tough system to trick into allowing it to boot with any sort of tampering.

Remember not even the 360 is compromised either, it's the DVD drive in the 360.

Edited by Audioboxer

Uhh you couldn't do jack **** with Linux on the PS3, the homebrew scene on it is dead apart from a bunch of mediocre emulators. With no access to the GPU it's largely a waste of time. Yeah I know everyone is going to tell me "they guyz with the skillz" just see Linux and think "me no needy to hacky", but I think there's always an interest in breaking down/modding anything as long as a way can be found. Especially large mainstream electrical devices.

A big reason is most likely region free games, modding your console waaay back in the day had a lot more to do with allowing you to import games, nowadays it's just about grabbing region free ISOs. The past time still stands though, allowing people to play any game on the console rids of the anger towards EU/UK seeing lengthy delays from USA and/or when a game hits in Japan/Asia that's actually in English (some are) it can be imported.

That and from what the interwebz says it's quite a tough system to trick into allowing it to boot with any sort of tampering.

Remember not even the 360 is compromised either, it's the DVD drive in the 360.

Point taken. Personally for me modding Xbox was for media support, XBMC rocked. After Microsoft added much of the functionality in 360 (though nowhere near XBMC) I kind of lost interest.

I don't think region free is the reason. All I see is discussion about running pirated games. That's why I am surprised it

hasn't hit PS3 yet. It was probably cost(before price drop) or market penetration.