World Cup 2010

tNUGq.png

I thought I'd start a thread so we can start to discuss teams and maybe players you think should go and players you think shouldn't go! but so far here are the teams that have qualified!

FULL LIST OF TEAMS AT 2010 WORLD CUP

HOSTS: South Africa

AFRICA QUALIFYING: Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria

ASIA QUALIFYING: Australia, Japan, North Korea, South Korea

EUROPE QUALIFYING: Denmark, England, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Greece, Slovenia, Portugal and France

SOUTH AMERICA QUALIFYING: Brazil, Paraguay, Chile, Argentina

NORTH, CENTRAL AMERICA AND QUALIFYING: United States, Mexico, Honduras

ASIA/OCEANIA PLAY-OFF New Zealand

Groups

2db0_clipboard01.png

Edited by Rappy

SLOVENIA QUALIFY FOR WORLD CUP 2010

FULL-TIME Slovenia 1-0 Russia (agg 2-2)

Bye Bye Russia!

FULL-TIME Bosnia 0-1 Portugal (agg 0-2)

So ends Bosnia's dream!

Algeria booked a first trip to the World Cup in 24 years by beating Egypt 1-0 in a tense play-off in Sudan.

Pity about Egypt, would have liked to have seen them play in SA again! Well done to Algeria, 24 years is a long time to wait!

FULL-TIME France 0-1 Ireland (agg 1-1) EXTRA TIME

I just watched the Portugal-Bosnia game. So dissapointed.

Yeah, it could have been worst for Bosnia, there were a lot of occasions for Portugal to score, but at the end it was enough.

What I think was disappointing was the lack of fair play from the Bosnian adepts and authorities, with all the incidents that occurred at the airport and the throwing of objects to the field...

Anyway, it's over. Qualified. :fun:

Internationally, Spain is my team. I just read in the online Spanish newspaper that I frequent, that Ireland got robbed of the qualification in extra time by France. Apparently, not only was Henry offside, but he then managed to control the ball with his hand and made the assistance for the winning goal. LOL, That is just crazy! And completely unacceptable... It sucks for Robbie and his team.

It's also disappointing that the Russian and Ukrainian squads didn't qualify. I'm glad that Portugal did, though. Woohoo! Can't wait for the WC!!!

Edited by CrownedClown03

Looking forward to Michel Platini's reaction...

Oh, and Rappy, this thread won't be as good as my World Cup 2006 cracker ;)

What makes you think Platini is going to have a reaction?

I wanted to laugh at Ireland going out but i'm seriously angry at how France won and feel sorry for the Irish :(

I feel sorry too, and I'm french. Sometimes the bad decision is for you, we all know that as we're all football fan here. I'm not trying to justify the goal, it's a clear hand ball, but you have to accept it, cause there is no turning back.

That's the reality. Bad decisions on the ref's part comes with the football. That doesn't make it any less unfortunate and disappointing, though, especially not when the qualification for an event to which you work and have to wait four years for to participate in is snatched from you. :(

:laugh:

I have always had a strong dislike of Thierry Henry and this latest incident just shows why. Cheater. Shame for Ireland, but I feel them going on about a replay is just wishful thinking.

Pff... a shame... blabla... WTF?... Fairplay...

Memory is a powerful thing, Keane seems to have none.

As with Ronaldo and Drogba, the difference is Keane hasn't made a career out of being a cheating piece of slime, not to mention the award was by the referee. In Keane's defense he neither dived, nor claimed a penalty in that incident so I don't really see what that was meant to prove

As with Ronaldo and Drogba, the difference is Keane hasn't made a career out of being a cheating piece of slime, not to mention the award was by the referee. In Keane's defense he neither dived, nor claimed a penalty in that incident so I don't really see what that was meant to prove

Everyone says Henry should have owned up right away, so the goal would have been disallowed. Hardly anyone would do that. Henry didn't, Keane didn't in that clip, a defender who tackles someone in the box illegally wouldn't, a keeper who catches a ball when it's already over the line wouldn't.

Everyone cheats.

The Irish are just crying and whining. Roy Keane put it best.

"If I'd been there in the dressing room after the game, I wouldn't be talking about the handball. I'd focus on why the defenders didn't clear it. They should've cleared it."

...Keane pointed out that controversial decisions went Ireland's way in the qualifying campaign, not least a harsh penalty award against Georgia which helped them to clinch a 2-1 qualifying win in February.

"There was one match against Georgia where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game.

"I don't remember the FAI after the game saying we should give them a replay.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/i...als/8370327.stm

Everyone says Henry should have owned up right away, so the goal would have been disallowed. Hardly anyone would do that. Henry didn't, Keane didn't in that clip, a defender who tackles someone in the box illegally wouldn't, a keeper who catches a ball when it's already over the line wouldn't.

Everyone cheats.

Again, you are failing to spot the difference between being awarded a Penalty that you didn't appeal for, or dive for, and deliberately using your hand to control the ball, a blatant and deliberate act of cheating.

Yep, the penalty in the Keane incident was a poor decision, but as the only person I can ever recall owning up to not being fowled was Robbie Fowler, I wouldn't have expected Keane to own up, but it is clear that Henry deliberately cheated, and Keane's incident was just a case of poor refereeing.