World Cup 2010

And you're missing my point. :p

Henry cheated, yes. But so do hundreds or thousands of other players. Week in, week out there is some form of cheating going on in football. This Henry incident is getting blown out of proportions, which is a shame, because he is no worse than any other players who have cheated.

I'm more upset over him about the fact that he celebrated the goal.

And that FIFA is still too stubborn to realise that video replays are needed...

:no:

Henry is still my hero.. he always will be.. he was playing for his country.. he did what he had to do.. you haters are talking like no British player would do it..

Introduce technology.

+1 I love henry too

whatever people. hate the game, not the players. henry was just playing the game, its not up to him to call out what happened. He said he is in agreement to a replay. It is dumb what happened, and taking it that way kinda sucks, but

FRANCE FOR 2010!!!!

In all fairness, I would not expect Henry to call out the goal as unfair, people who expect that are just being unrealistic, he would have received a lot of abuse for doing so, probably more so than he is now.

I wouldn't want my country to go through to the World Cup having had this much bad coverage....I think that's tough enough for the French team to have to deal with. I am saddened that Ireland lost their chance in such a way, but that's the way the game is, it has happened to many other teams in the past and this won't be the last.

Thierry Henry's handball against the Republic of Ireland could lead to Fifa fast-tracking the introduction of two additional referees in time for the World Cup in South Africa. One of Fifa's most senior officials yesterday confirmed the matter will be on the agenda at the law-making International Football Association Board meeting in Zurich next March.

Despite calls for Wednesday's controversial game to be replayed, among them one from France's own finance minister, Christine Lagarde, a rematch has been ruled out. However, Michel Platini, arguably one of the two most powerful men in football, is advocating additional referees as a potential panacea.

There is now every chance it could become part of the game's laws at the World Cup. "The situation of additional referees will be spoken about at the IFAB meeting," said the official. "If you had additional referees in place, they would have seen it. Michel Platini is in favour of the system of two more referees."

France have qualified for the World Cup," added the official. "The match won't be played again: the result is valid. If not, do you want to replay the ["Hand of God"] match from 1986? That would make you in England happy."

Platini said last month that "it is [my] role [as] the president of Uefa and Fifa's vice-president to help referees see everything". He added that with two more referees "it would be better, this system is fairer. You'd have two more pairs of eyes; that's easier."

Why are they being so stupid about it? Bring in video replays, not more officials, and make it OK for the referee to be WRONG on something. In tennis, in rugby, the ref can be wrong and he can check with the video ref who gives a much more informed answer. There's no was one man can get everything right through 90 minutes and call everything spot on.

Instead of more people on the pitch, put one man off the pitch and get the hell over it already :/

I am sure your opinion on that would be different if you had been supporting the side that lost out to this decision. Hell look at the way all the supporters of the blue scum where screaming murder after the CL semi with Barca, their fans certainly didn't think the game needs to stay human.

Really though I don't care what Platini thinks, he is one man, and the greater good of the game would be for correct decisions to be made in games of such high stakes.

I am quite sad there's no Arda in this tournament this time ;)

Oh yeah, I remember him! But only from the Euro 2008 thread. I remember him betting me that Cristiano Ronaldo wouldn't score 50 goals in La Liga, and if he did, he'd "give me his car". :p

Republic of Ireland ask for extra 2010 World Cup place

Fifa's Sepp Blatter has revealed the Republic of Ireland have requested a spot in the 2010 World Cup finals as an extra team after their play-off defeat.

The Republic lost to an extra-time goal against France when Thierry Henry handled the ball during the build-up.

"I will bring it to the attention of the Executive Committee," said Blatter.

The president of football's world governing body added that goal-line technology and extra referees would be considered for the South Africa finals.

The executive committee will hold an emergency meeting in Cape Town on Wednesday, two days ahead of the draw for the finals, to assess the idea of extra match officials.

If they recommend the proposal it will go before football's rule-making international board in Zurich in March for a final decision.

"It's possible we will make additional officials for the World Cup but we have to see if it is feasible or realistic," added Blatter. "Something has to be done in terms of match control.

"We have only one man on the field of play who shall intervene in this matter. He has two assistants for the time being, perhaps more in the future. He has to make an immediate decision.

"He has only two eyes. So match control is now is on the agenda. How shall we avoid such situations as we have seen in this very specific match?"

Regarding the Republic's case, Blatter added that Costa Rica, who also believe they were unfairly denied a place in the finals - this time because of an offside goal from Uruguay - would also have to be acknowledged if extra places are discussed.

The Football Association of Ireland released a statement, confirming Blatter had agreed to a meeting in Zurich last Friday, which lasted for 90 minutes.

"A lot was discussed at the meeting and at one stage the FAI asked if Ireland could be accommodated into the World Cup 2010," read the statement.

"Other suggestions were also made to mitigate against further occurrences of such incidents, including the use of additional goal-line assistant referees for Fifa international matches, further use of video technology for matches at the highest level, stronger provisions to discourage players from engaging in such blatant breaches of the laws of the game and provisions to strengthen referee selection for such important matches."

The Republic originally asked for the play-off to be replayed but that request was turned down by Fifa.

The man at the centre of the storm, former Arsenal striker Henry, released a statement two days after the infamous match in which he said a replay would have been "the fairest solution".

Nice try by the FAI, bit cheeky but nice try.

Anyways, I'll be watching next June cheering for whatever team is playing against the cheating French.

Never gonna happen, would open up too much of a dangerous precedent, soon we would have all the other defeated teams pleading their cases to also be allowed an extra place. I feel either a replay, or a retroactive punishment on France for cheating would have been the answer.

Looking forward to Michel Platini's reaction...

Oh, and Rappy, this thread won't be as good as my World Cup 2006 cracker ;)

2006's thread was full of win... what was that Turkish guys name again? hahahah

Republic of Ireland World's Cup plea rejected by Fifa

Fifa has said it will not create an extra place at next year's World Cup finals for the Republic of Ireland.

The Irish had asked to be allowed in as a 33rd team after losing in the play-off against France, who won the tie with a controversial handball goal.

Fifa official Jerome Valcke said if the structure was changed it could lead to other nations lodging protests.

Meanwhile, Ireland's assistant boss Liam Brady claimed that Sepp Blatter had become "an embarrassment to Fifa".

Brady was unhappy at Blatter's handling of the request that Fifa should allow the Irish to play at next year's finals in South Africa.

Fifa president Blatter mentioned the Football Association of Ireland's plea at a press conference and it was greeted with laughter in the hall.

"It was very disrespectful how he presented this fact," insisted Brady.

The Republic's request to be added to the 32 qualified teams is set to be officially rejected at Wednesday's Fifa executive committee emergency meeting in Cape Town.

The world governing body is being tipped to approve proposals to have five referees at every match in next summer's finals.

This would be in response to the Republic's controversial World Cup play-off exit when William Gallas scored a decisive goal for France despite a blatant handball by Thierry Henry.

Really can't say I am surprised by that in the slightest, it was an unworkable solution. I can but applaud the Irish for not giving up their struggle, but sadly they're going to have to admit defeat here, and we will just have to hope the cheating French get their comeuppance in the tournament proper. I hope that Fifa learn from this sorry tale however, and I feel Sepp Blatter's arrogance and disrespectful behaviour are disgraceful and unacceptable.

Fifa rejects extra officials plan

Fifa has decided against introducing extra linesmen at the 2010 World Cup.

World football's governing body had been tipped to fast-track a decision on goal-line officials in the wake of the furore over Thierry Henry's handball.

Henry's handball led to France's dramatic winner against the Republic of Ireland in their World Cup play-off.

But president Sepp Blatter revealed that an inquiry would be carried out into the benefits of video technology and extra officials.

Blatter said Henry would be investigated by Fifa's disciplinary committee.

The Fifa president said the executive committee had discussed the idea of introducing goal-line officials at the World Cup, as they have been in the Europa League this season.

He continued: "The committee was of the opinion that we are at a crossroads: where shall we go with refereeing in the future?

"The game at the highest level is so tense that it is impossible for one referee and his assistants to see everything."

But the committee concluded that they wanted a full inquiry into both options, extra officials and the use of video technology, before making any decision about the future.

Fifa to investigate Thierry Henry handball

France striker Thierry Henry is to be investigated by Fifa's disciplinary committee over his handball against the Republic of Ireland last month.

The Republic failed to qualify for the 2010 World Cup, losing 2-1 on aggregate to an extra-time goal, courtesy of the assist by Barcelona's Henry.

Fifa's executive committee met on Wednesday to consider the incident as part of a disciplinary crackdown.

Fifa said there was no certainty that Henry would be banned if found guilty.

The governing body's president Sepp Blatter told a news conference: "I have not said that Thierry Henry will be punished, I have said that Thierry Henry will be examined by the disciplinary committee of Fifa."

Asked why FIFA were making a special case of Henry, Blatter replied: "This is a matter of the disciplinary committee and it's not a question of this player or another - it was a blatant unfair playing and was shown all around the world, but I don't know what the outcome will be."

Blatter said players and managers should be aware that the "eyes of the world" would be on them in South Africa next summer.

"I appeal to all the players and coaches to observe this fair play. In 2010 we want to prove that football is more than just kicking a ball but has social and cultural value," he said

"So we ask the players 'please observe fair play' so they will be an example to the rest of the world."

Henry twice handled the ball before crossing to William Gallas, who scored the equaliser against the Republic in the play-off in November to put France into next year's finals.

On the back of the furore surrounding the incident, Fifa met at Cape Town to consider goal-line technology and extra referees for the finals in South Africa.

However, the sport's governing body decided against using additional referees at the World Cup and have instead opted to set up an inquiry into the benefits of video technology and extra officials.

Fifa were initially asked to consider the Republic's plea for an extra place in the finals, but the Football Association of Ireland withdrew that request ahead of the executive committee's meeting in Cape Town.

First off, let's be honest, this isn't going to be a long investigation, is it?

Fifa said there was no certainty that Henry would be banned if found guilty.

IF? What do you mean, IF? :p

I don't understand why Henry would be banned? It was the refs fault for missing the call as when I viewed it it didn't look like Henry purposefully hit the ball the first time second time - that's different :D

I don't understand why Henry would be banned? It was the refs fault for missing the call as when I viewed it it didn't look like Henry purposefully hit the ball the first time second time - that's different :D

I don't see how you could possibly come to that conclusion, the handball was about as blatant as can be, Henry himself admitted that the playoff would have been fair, in pro football that is as close to an admission of guilt as you will get.

And to be frank, if Eduardo wasn't banned for his blatant dive against Celtic, then I can't see Henry being banned either, despite their big words about respect and fair play Fifa lacks the chutzpah to stamp out cheating.

They need to get over the whole "referee decides on points of fact" stupidity. According to the ref, Henry didn't handball it, and unless they change their stance on the "points of fact" thing they can't really do much to Henry, else they're admitting their system is a load of b* and setting a precedent for it to be bypassed.

Agreed Joe. If they want to keep their referee decisions sacred they should give him more help. Whether thats video technology, 5 officials, whatever, they have to do SOMETHING or else everything will be appealed (as would have happened if Eduardo's ban had stuck)

The standard of refereeing in modern football is awful, and the governing bodies position on the matter is ass-backwards. Video replays never did cricket and rugby any harm, I really don't see why they can't use it in football :/