Couple Busted for Refusing to Pay Tip

Oh good grief... First off, "mandatory" gratuity is ridiculous. When service is bad, it is your right to respond however you deem appropriate. Second, I don't buy that they offered to comp the food. Don't you think they would have taken them up on that offer? Sounds like the owner is a real winner...

A tip is just that, a tip. Adding a tip to a bill is just stupid. You pay for your food, drinks + tax and that's it. If service was great, then and only then should you hand over more money.

Thank god in Australia we don't tip. If something costs $20, thats all you get; $20. No more, no less.

Anyway the judge will laugh at this case and throw it out before it even begins. Also, good on the couple for standing up for their beliefs and not handing over money that isnt deserved.

Are they theives? No, they payed for their food and drinks.

Why would the police bother to handcuff and arrest them if they knew there was no chance of a conviction for theft? Was the humiliation of the arrest supposed to be the punishment itself? If so, that's an abuse of power.

Abuse of power is right. Somehow I can now believe this was in Pennsylvania... LOL The corruption is shocking.

lol what?

they paid for their food. what did they steal?

The tip. LOL

Wait is leaving a tip not optional?

I usually tip 10% if the service is good, but it's my choice, I'd never eat in a place that had a mandatory "tip"

Wait is leaving a tip not optional?

I usually tip 10% if the service is good, but it's my choice, I'd never eat in a place that had a mandatory "tip"

10% will no longer cut it in America. 15% is still pretty common in Canada but the U.S. has been edging towards 20%. The mandatory tip from this example was 18%.

[Threads Merged]

RWN is a better location than RWI since it isn't an international issue (even if it does get international interest).

Lol, tipping seems to be a very American/Canadian tradition. I'm not saying it started out here nor that it's only here, but it seems to be quite well accepted here and it's almost taboo not to. Everyone tips, for almost any regular (decent) service; 15-20% for good service, 10% or lower for okay service. I remember going to parts of Europe, Asia, and Australia and being absolutely flabbergasted that they wouldn't even accept tip or when I offered tip they were also just as amazed.

I can't believe they arrested the couple though... although if they were a group of 8... I still probably wouldn't have tipped for **** service.

I quite often tip if the service is good :) I went to a Malmaison hotel with a group of people and they added a 'surcharge' on the bill of which we refused to pay, the service wasn't great and there were problems with the food and they didn't rectify them. I will only ever tip for good service, if it is poor then I pay for the food and that's it.

Lol, tipping seems to be a very American/Canadian tradition. I'm not saying it started out here nor that it's only here, but it seems to be quite well accepted here and it's almost taboo not to. Everyone tips, for almost any regular (decent) service; 15-20% for good service, 10% or lower for okay service. I remember going to parts of Europe, Asia, and Australia and being absolutely flabbergasted that they wouldn't even accept tip or when I offered tip they were also just as amazed.

I can't believe they arrested the couple though... although if they were a group of 8... I still probably wouldn't have tipped for **** service.

Well like I mentioned, tipping in america is common because waiters/waitresses are paid below minimum wage, well below it infact.

Minimumw wage is like $7-8 here, but waiters get paid $2-4. So tips are the only way to earn money.

Mandatory tips however are bs, if the service was **** theres no way I'm tipping. Otherwise its between 10-20% depending on the restaurant I'm at, and the quality of service.

As much as I don't agree with the concept of mandatory tips, restaurants are allowed to charge for these and you do have to pay it. It is usually there in the menu for all to see. If they didn't agree with paying that tip, even if it's a possibility they could have had bad service, perhaps they should have eaten elsewhere?

I can see why the restaurant would get up in arms about a couple not paying the mandatory tip... after all, they want to treat their employees well. Honestly though, most higher end restaurants do this... If u don't want to pay more, don't, but most often theres a disclaimer on the menu or the bill, saying "gratuity included." If the couple is going to make a stink about 16 dollars (high tip so it must have been a high bill), they should probably start eating at lower end restaurants.

Well they just killed their clientell list.

I very much doubt that. They're in the right, legally speaking. When u go into that restaurant, you are informed in writing (on the menu or the check) of the included tip. If people don't read, then it's their fault.

SOME places add a SUGGESTED tip, and yes, those are optional.... but for higher end restaurants and for large groups of people, the tip is generally added to your bill and is not optional. If you don't like it, you can feel free to go to a less expensive restaurant. Them's the rules.....

10% will no longer cut it in America. 15% is still pretty common in Canada but the U.S. has been edging towards 20%. The mandatory tip from this example was 18%.

[Threads Merged]

RWN is a better location than RWI since it isn't an international issue (even if it does get international interest).

15% is what is here in oregon. 18 is if you have a big group of 8 or more I think which is what they had

I always leave a 20%-30% if I can

I tip the pizza dilevery people like $5-10 depending who it was

I think I gave 1 guy 10 once because he forgot my mt.dew and instaid of going back to pizzahut he just went to 711 and got one :p

I can see why the restaurant would get up in arms about a couple not paying the mandatory tip... after all, they want to treat their employees well. Honestly though, most higher end restaurants do this... If u don't want to pay more, don't, but most often theres a disclaimer on the menu or the bill, saying "gratuity included." If the couple is going to make a stink about 16 dollars (high tip so it must have been a high bill), they should probably start eating at lower end restaurants.
how do you figure it was an upscale restruant? there meals costed around 11.25 each or so. since it sounded like it was 6 friends and the couple. 11.25 is not upscale

hell 4 people at the olive garden (not really upscale) costs more then that almost. though it is good

upscale restruants also dont take an hour to get your food out. or to get napkins

not sure how they gave the people time to call the cops though. I would have just thrown the money on the counter and said **** you I'm not tipping for your horrible service and left. its not like they can hold you. since I think if they touch you its assualt

I think I gave 1 guy 10 once because he forgot my mt.dew and instaid of going back to pizzahut he just went to 711 and got one :p

See, now someone going way beyond the duties of their job are deserving of a tip. Although, he DID forget the drink you ordered, so I'm not sure I'd have tipped him $10. More like a couple of bucks at the most.

Let me explain how this works.

I work at a restaurant as a server.

We servers get paid $4.19 an hour. We work for tips.

Most places have an auto grat of 15 - 19% on parties of 7 or more.

I understand not tipping if the service is horrible, but not tipping because we are already getting paid by the restaurant is utter BS as we basically work for free already.

Let me explain how this works.

I work at a restaurant as a server.

We servers get paid $4.19 an hour. We work for tips.

Most places have an auto grat of 15 - 19% on parties of 7 or more.

I understand not tipping if the service is horrible, but not tipping because we are already getting paid by the restaurant is utter BS as we basically work for free already.

How is that the customer's problem? If you don't get enough tips, your employer is legally required to make up the difference to the minimum wage.

If you don't like getting paid so little, get a better paid job.

After the $73 bill came, the group paid for food, drinks, and tax but refused to pay the tip. After explaining the bad service to the bartender in charge, Pope claimed he took their money and called police. The couple was handcuffed and placed in the back of a police car.

This pub needs a new manager. He obviously couldn't cope that night, and doesn't understand customer service.

If I were in a party of 6, and treated terribly, I wouldn't want to pay full whack, let alone paying a tip.

This pub needs a new manager. He obviously couldn't cope that night, and doesn't understand customer service.

If I were in a party of 6, and treated terribly, I wouldn't want to pay full whack, let alone paying a tip.

I agree that it's not right to pay a tip if the service was terrible, but here it was mandatory. A mandatory tip has to be paid whether the service is bad or not. The manager could have possibly used his discretion, however he doesn't have to. Also, you don't know how much money he may lose if he allows some diners to go without paying the mandatory tip because they claim their service was terrible. How would he know whether to believe them or not? Some might say it to get out of paying the mandatory tip.

I never tip in restaurants or bars, or anywhere else for that matter. Why the hell should I?

Servers' minimum wage is less here, because they get tips.

How is that the customer's problem? If you don't get enough tips, your employer is legally required to make up the difference to the minimum wage.

No, he's not.

I never tip in restaurants or bars, or anywhere else for that matter. Why the hell should I? I'm paying for my meal, and the service staff are paid to serve people. Why should *I* pay them for doing what they're already paid to do?

If they don't earn enough money from waiting tables, that's not MY problem.

this

Servers' minimum wage is less here, because they get tips.

No, he's not.

According to US federal employment laws, yes he is.

If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.