Couple Busted for Refusing to Pay Tip

According to US federal employment laws, yes he is.

Ah, interesting. No such thing here at all. But there's no way they don't make enough to cover minimum wage, even people who thought the service sucked will give enough to cover the difference in most situations.

I am with the consumers on this one, I don't believe anyone should pay tips if they receive bad service, and instead of having the people arrested the restaurant owners should be dealing with their own staff and making sure they provide the level of service they should. Personally I take a matter of pride in providing the best customer service I can, and I don't get tips or extra wages for doing it, just because I want my supermarket to get a good name, and for customers to come back.

Tips should be given at your own discretion. At least this is the case in the UK. However, I know the US does this differently where tips are expected, and there are 'rules' on how much a tip should at least be for different things.

I never tip in restaurants or bars, or anywhere else for that matter. Why the hell should I? I'm paying for my meal, and the service staff are paid to serve people. Why should *I* pay them for doing what they're already paid to do?

If they don't earn enough money from waiting tables, that's not MY problem.

I never tip either, for the same reasons.

I can see why the restaurant would get up in arms about a couple not paying the mandatory tip... after all, they want to treat their employees well. Honestly though, most higher end restaurants do this... If u don't want to pay more, don't, but most often theres a disclaimer on the menu or the bill, saying "gratuity included." If the couple is going to make a stink about 16 dollars (high tip so it must have been a high bill), they should probably start eating at lower end restaurants.

It is usually the opposite. It would be considered gauche for a high-end restaurant to assume that their patrons would be too cheap to tip.

I never tip in restaurants or bars, or anywhere else for that matter. Why the hell should I? I'm paying for my meal, and the service staff are paid to serve people. Why should *I* pay them for doing what they're already paid to do?

If they don't earn enough money from waiting tables, that's not MY problem.

The tip is for the service, not the meal, so unless you brought your meal all the way from the kitchen and brought poured yourself the drinks and all of that - that's fine, but I guess you didn't, the waiter/ess did that for you.

They also make very little money for the hard work they do, at least here in Israel.

They do make some good money off tips, but no thanks to you.

I generally don't tip because I expect good service, I expect anyone doing a job to do it well.

I also have no desire to assist restaurants in screwing over their workforce and the taxman by paying them less on the basis that they get tips.

What service do you expect to get ? Any service at all should be "rewarded" with a tip, the very least a dollar or so.

You're the one screwing their workforce, the restaurant won't pay them more just because they don't get enough tips.

"Mandatory" seems stupid, a tip shouldn't be forced on the customer, they have to do it willingly.

No, it's the employers job to pay their workers.

The waiters themselves are to blame for their low pay, as long as they accept it, and people keep getting jobs as underpaid waiters. They will keep being underpaid.

I'm not going to be the one paying for them not having a spine.

The tip is for the service, not the meal, so unless you brought your meal all the way from the kitchen and brought poured yourself the drinks and all of that - that's fine, but I guess you didn't, the waiter/ess did that for you.

They also make very little money for the hard work they do, at least here in Israel.

They do make some good money off tips, but no thanks to you.

It's the employers job to pay their staff, not the customers.

It's the employers job to pay their staff, not the customers.

when you stop paying tips. there is then a manditory tip. so now you cant choose to leave a smaller tip

so its really your fualt that stuff like this happens in the first place. because you are cheap

and according to one of your posts. you should pay it since even the us federal employment says that.

No, it's the employers job to pay their workers.

The waiters themselves are to blame for their low pay, as long as they accept it, and people keep getting jobs as underpaid waiters. They will keep being underpaid.

I'm not going to be the one paying for them not having a spine.

I know huh? they need to grow a spine and tell there managers they need more money and pray to god they dont fire them.

you might want to learn about economics and what not

I know huh? they need to grow a spine and tell there managers they need more money and pray to god they dont fire them.

I know plenty, thanks. Like I said, it's the employer's job to pay their staff, not the customers. We pay for the food and service is included in the price of the food; so the restaurant needs to price its food accordingly so that they can pay the staff appropriately. It should never be left to adding extra on top of the bill to pay staff. Tips should be a bonus on top of their wage (and is in the UK. What happens in the UK is illegal here).

Actually yes. demand, and if they don't give in, step away. it works as logn as there aren't other people ready inline to be exploited.

But then I live in a country where paying below minimum wouldn't be accepted and waiters have the same employee protection as others. this doesn't happen because the waiters sit on their ass and take abuse. And they can't expect other to fight their battles for them, others to stand up for their rights. that's something they have to do.

Do they have a union ? I'm not aware of one... so they can't really strike, all they can do is get fired or suck it up.

It's the norm today, you get paid X and additional Y as tips.

So either be an ass and don't pay them a tip, or be a good man and help them out.

If you're so damn smart about the right thing to do, then how about go and help them get better wages ? Oh wait, you don't really give a **** about their wages, but you do care about your extra 5$.

So either be an ass and don't pay them a tip, or be a good man and help them out.

Only in North America it seems, most other countries have a decent legal minimum wage.

They had bad service at the restuarant, and refused to pay the mandatory tip. The manager should have accepted that, and tried to make the customer happy.

Now that pub has probably lost thousands of possible customers.

Also the total bill was $73 for 6 people, so it isn't a very high class place anyway.

Do they have a union ? I'm not aware of one... so they can't really strike, all they can do is get fired or suck it up.

If you're so damn smart about the right thing to do, then how about go and help them get better wages ? Oh wait, you don't really give a **** about their wages, but you do care about your extra 5$.

Again, as I said.

why it it MY job to stand up for them and fight for their rights. that's their job.

if they don't have a union, make one. if you get fired... well then you stood up for yourself and your job didn't pay you anyway.

Only in North America it seems, most other countries have a decent legal minimum wage.

They had bad service at the restuarant, and refused to pay the mandatory tip. The manager should have accepted that, and tried to make the customer happy.

Now that pub has probably lost thousands of possible customers.

Also the total bill was $73 for 6 people, so it isn't a very high class place anyway.

According to Wiki (and its sources), 18 out of 27 countries have minimum wage law, others don't - so what are the people in these 9 countries supposed to do ?

It's just the EU though, another source says that 90% of the world has this law, but then again, 10% don't.

Obviously arresting people for NOT paying a tip is ridiculous.

Again, as I said.

why it it MY job to stand up for them and fight for their rights. that's their job.

if they don't have a union, make one. if you get fired... well then you stood up for yourself and your job didn't pay you anyway.

If you don't want to fight for them, back off then, they don't need cheapskates like yourself to help make their lives even worse.

Yeah, making a union is like hosting a game of COD right ?

If they get fired you eat at home, or eat off the floor in your favorite restaurant.

You're making things too complicated, they work hard, get **** for pay and basically LIVE off the tips.

How about just pay the damn 5 bucks and have a good clean conscience, no one is asking you to give them money they don't deserve.

According to Wiki (and its sources), 18 out of 27 countries have minimum wage law, others don't - so what are the people in these 9 countries supposed to do ?

It's just the EU though, another source says that 90% of the world has this law, but then again, 10% don't.

Obviously arresting people for NOT paying a tip is ridiculous.

If you don't want to fight for them, back off then, they don't need cheapskates like yourself to help make their lives even worse.

Yeah, making a union is like hosting a game of COD right ?

If they get fired you eat at home, or eat off the floor in your favorite restaurant.

You're making things too complicated, they work hard, get **** for pay and basically LIVE off the tips.

How about just pay the damn 5 bucks and have a good clean conscience, no one is asking you to give them money they don't deserve.

Thank you. My point exactly.

If you get good service and you don't tip then you are just cheap.

I used to work at a hotel and we all hated when there were a bunch of Europeans coming. They don't tip over there I guess but then they come here and don't tip also. They don't understand that they are hurting these workers. I just call that being cheap. I don't buy it that they don't know that you tip here in the US.

With that said, if you get crappy service then you shouldn't tip.

^^ How do you get tips at a hotel?, do you show people to their rooms? or work at the restaurant/bar etc?

Here in the UK, I only tip taxi + takeaway drivers if its convienent for me("keep the change"), and at restaurants :laugh:

lol@all the people calling others cheap.

Part of you missed the point, We dont want to tip, if you want to ensure they are well paid, Give them minimum wage and add it to the food costs, Otherwise why should I feel I NEED to support someone else? Or better yet what gives them the right to give me bad service if I dont tip them?(Eg, The spitting in food, Thats gross and if they do that, they should be fired, bad tip or not.)

There are various positions at a hotel where tips are involved, I am not making it up.. just think a lil harder.

to post above:

If you don't want to tip you are well within your rights. I am not denying this. But to me, if you get good service and you don't tip then you are cheap.

lol@all the people calling others cheap.

Part of you missed the point, We dont want to tip, if you want to ensure they are well paid, Give them minimum wage and add it to the food costs, Otherwise why should I feel I NEED to support someone else? Or better yet what gives them the right to give me bad service if I dont tip them?(Eg, The spitting in food, Thats gross and if they do that, they should be fired, bad tip or not.)

Don't want to tip ? And why is that ? Because... you're a cheapskate ? No ? Then give a real reason.

Also, who are you talking to "give them minimum wage..." ? Me ? Sorry I'm just a regular civilian with no power to increase anyone's pay. But I do what I can when I go to a bar/restaurant, I leave them a tip.

And what do you do (apparently) ? You're being a cheapskate with the excuse of "that's not my job".

How exactly can they spit in your food if you're supposed to tip AFTER you finish your food ? Wow, a nice, inconsistent and ridiculous argument there.

Just admit it, people (like you I guess) don't tip because you're cheap, you don't care about their well being, you just care about your extra 1$-5$.