Can you give me 5 solid reasons to upgrade form XP to 7?

You do know that min requirement is 1GB right? :rolleyes:

I installed it on my little brothers computer as he wanted it after using mine :D

He only has 512mb and is using an intel celeron and it runs faster than XP ever did :pinch:

Faster? More than XP? If 7 is like Vista (in performance) we have a problem...

It is faster than Vista, and the reason vista was "slow" is because it was designed to run on newer hardware. If your pc ran slow with vista, it's because it obviously wasn't new enough

And why XP is not secure? XP SP3 + all windows uptade patches makes an old and insecure OS?

Well you're not going to get future patches soon, so you'll be left in the dark with any further security problems.

I agree. Searching in Vista-7 is great.

7 also has indexed all control panel objects so you can search "change computer name" and you'll get there straight away!

If you use ffdshow codecs on XP you can play almost any video...

True, but you don't need extra stuff to do that on Windows 7

9 years have made a solid OS.

...ish. If you're happy, stick with it, but Windows 7 opens new opportunities with features, devices and ease of use (i.e all drivers are able to be installed in 99% of cases straight off the bat, even in older hardware. Remember that XP has reached the end of it's lfie

I don't think 7 is more simple than XP, for example let's see how many services load in 7 (and Vista)...

Oh, I see, you're one of those people. FYI, just because more services load does not mean it's less simple. It means a couple of things - one of them being hyperthreading is optimised, so the system can handle multiple services at the same time. The other is stability. So services are simplified out to performing one or two actions, so if they crash the whole thing doesn't come down with it.

Get what I mean here?

You have convinced me :) (You, and all the people, thanks a lot).

I have instaled Windows 7 Home Premium and I'm very happy. Here a screenshot:

post-99698-1260813811_thumb.jpg

I'm using Aero Basic because the glass effect makes my pc a bit slower.

no, disabling superfetch is bad, because it slows down speed of Windows.

really, not here.

in low ram configuration disabling is likely to be optimal as ram is limited.

on a fresh boot on a 1 gig machine there is about 150-200meg of available ram. So best to only passively cache data in a low ram configuration almost certianly.

Seems like you have read the sales pitch, superfetch increase speed and took it as gospel.

You could probably disable the window animations and transparency to improve performance.

in low ram configuration disabling is likely to be optimal as ram is limited.

on a fresh boot on a 1 gig machine there is about 150-200meg of available ram. So best to only passively cache data in a low ram configuration almost certianly.

and? f you have 200MB freem use it for caching. When you need more RAM, Windows will free the cache and you can use it with user data. Superfetch has nothing to do with the Memory usage you see in Taskmanager. If you have 512MB of RAM und the RAM usage is 300MB, then Windows, the running programs and the file cache are using the 300MB, not Superfetch. You simply don't understand the memory management in Vista/7.

My reasons:

1. Friendly GUI, Aero-grass is magnificent, Search index is very fast, good looking, DX11

2. More secure

3. Faster than XP when I installed a lot of Programs, better memory management, better multicore support

4. Easy driver setting up, Network, file sharing

5. More stability, i have no BSOD since upgrade to Windows 7

Where'd you get the background from?

And 1gb is NOT the minimum requirement for Windows 7.

You shouldn't stick with Vista at all, Aero or not. That's hardly a reason to use older technology.

Edited by Raa

If you can't run Aero you should really stick with Vista...

My 5:

1) Wireless Networking

2) Breadcrumbs / Search

3) Jump Lists

4) Aero

5) Media sharing

Plus as a gamer DX10/11 is mandatory. As always, your OS should suit your hardware. No use putting 7 on a old PC anymore than putting XP on a new one.

cool

and i hopefully the people in the screen are happy too ;)

Vista is a bit sluggish on my machine. XP is much more responsive than Vista. Windows 7 is much more better than XP or Vista. Just one problem with my Windows 7, there's no driver for my hardware. Not Microsoft nor ASUS. I will continue to hunt down for the driver.

Here's the 5 solid reason you want.

1) Much more responsive than XP

2) XP does not have Aero Glass theme

3) After a fresh install, I can burn ISO image without any bloated third-party software.

4) Smooth Rotating Wallpaper

5) When you open the video file, Windows Media Player only open up the video display. No other clunky looking UI. The control is on the screen! This is so clean. I have been dreaming of getting my hands on such players for around 10 years ago. Waited and waited till now.

6) CPU load is around 2-5% even while my sidebar is running an analog clock with third hands, a constantly changing slides-show preview, and a rotating wallpaper. And of course there's other services and other processes running in the background. I currently have 43 processes running in the background. My CPU hardly goes above 2%. I have 3gigs of RAM but only using 1/3rd of physical RAM.

There's so much more I can list but I don't like to write novel. I am going to use this OS despite the fact that I don't have the driver for other 4 hardware at the moment. Reason is that my hardware is outdated and on top of that, I am using 64bit OS. lol

There's only one reason you need: XP is almost 9 years old.

If you need more:

Networking connectivity

Ease of use

Faster

Lots of little things really, you dont even notice them when using 7 because you just expect them to be there, but when you use vista or xp you wish they were there.

Oh I forgot to mention. Calculator is no long just a calculator. It can be a Scientific, Programmer, Statistic, Unit Converter, Date Calculation, and as a full blown Spreadsheet calculator! :) Now I have all the tools to conquer the world. :)

if XP is working fine and it does what you want then stick to XP but in the future if you want to do something that XP can't then you will need to upgrade but you can dual boot xp/7 and test it for yourself and see if you like it and if you don't you can remove 7.

• 1 month later...

post-99698-1260813811_thumb.jpg

Glad I could convince you mate! :p

Question: Do you have a video card? IF so, Aero will actually make your PC faster.

I just upgraded to 7 a few days ago (been using xp on 2 machines and vista on another) and I must say so far I am impressed. Gaming is faster, stability is better than vista was on here (I kept getting random BSODs making me think my mobo was dead, which I have yet to have any on 7), it's prettier by far, and there's a lot of extra functionality.

Glad I could convince you mate! :p

Question: Do you have a video card? IF so, Aero will actually make your PC faster.

I have a Nvidia GeForce 7400 Go, and it allows aero, but the drivers are very poor (the card is 4 years old).

if XP is working fine and it does what you want then stick to XP but in the future if you want to do something that XP can't then you will need to upgrade but you can dual boot xp/7 and test it for yourself and see if you like it and if you don't you can remove 7.

Indeed. Not sure if MS means for there to be a "30 day trial" of 7, but if you obtain a disc and install w/o a Product Key you get essentially that.

I'm not sure 7 makes me more productive on my computer than XP did... but it certainly makes my PC more fun to use.

My desktop has been through Xp and Vista with the same hardware, before an upgrade. The upgraded version has been on Vista and 7.

Vista SP1 comfortably was more reliable and quicker than XP on the same hardware. I would not touch XP with a barge pole these days, there is simply no good reason to have it on a modern computer.

Windows 7 is faster than Windows Vista on the same hardware too.