Nintendo trademarks

z.jpg

Awesome. According to Siliconera, Nintendo’s trademarked “Zii”. It’s like “Wii”. With a “z”. Wii 2 would have been a little more traditional, don’t you think? Wii60, maybe? There’s no detail, obviously. Probably just Shigeru filing random trademarks at 2.00am in his Santa hat and reindeer pants.

VG247

Good luck with that, Creative (soundcard makers) are making an android media player and a phone called the Zii, they might have applied for the trademarks first.

They should have called it the Wii II so it will be the Wiiii!

Good luck with that, Creative (soundcard makers) are making an android media player and a phone called the Zii, they might have applied for the trademarks first.

They should have called it the Wii II so it will be the Wiiii!

As long as the products are different enough they can still file for Zii. Seeing as one would be a home gaming console, it's pretty different on that merit alone.

Wii can be explained, as can Xbox. I don't actually remember how they decided on PS or if that was even disclosed.

But wtf does Zii mean? It's not even the next letter in the alphabet for incremental sake.

I don't really see how Wii is any more or less ridiculous than Playstation or Xbox as a name. Maybe it's just me. If you remove the potty humour, they all sound pretty ridiculous.

Anything technology/web related usually has a ridiculous name.

Wii can be explained, as can Xbox. I don't actually remember how they decided on PS or if that was even disclosed.

But wtf does Zii mean? It's not even the next letter in the alphabet for incremental sake.

Maybe it's because you can turn a 2 into a Z.

2ii = Zii

versus Wii 2.

I don't really see how Wii is any more or less ridiculous than Playstation or Xbox as a name. Maybe it's just me. If you remove the potty humour, they all sound pretty ridiculous.

At least Playstation refers to what the device was at it's root, Play, what you do on it and I guess station referring to the outlet itself. Xbox is a little more obscure for those not in the know but its name still derives from something gaming related, Direct X.

Wii? WTF? Okay someone is going to explain where it comes from to me, but it's not something easily worked out from my end...

Gamecube was a much better name for a games console.

I have no evidence to back this up, but I'm pretty sure they are just covering their rears. Wasn't there a Chinese Wii rip-off a few years back called the Zii? They're probably just protecting their properties.

At least Playstation refers to what the device was at it's root, Play, what you do on it and I guess station referring to the outlet itself. Xbox is a little more obscure for those not in the know but its name still derives from something gaming related, Direct X.

Wii? WTF? Okay someone is going to explain where it comes from to me, but it's not something easily worked out from my end...

Gamecube was a much better name for a games console.

it is like Google. it doesnt have any meaning at all. it just sounds catchy and people will remember it quickly.

Maybe it's because you can turn a 2 into a Z.

2ii = Zii

versus Wii 2.

Possibly but then it's not really obvious that it's a related product. That type of advertising really lends itself best to logos where you can see the branding. Asking someone in a conversation, have you heard of a Zii, and they'll have no idea it's the next console.

Edit:

For those that don't know, Wii was chosen because it is a syllable that all the languages can pronounce with ease and relatively the same. i.e Scotland, wee is an every day word for small, in France it's the same pronounciation as oui (yes), and so on.