Halo Reach Thread

Pretty good analysis, and I think he's probably spot on!

My main gripe remains whether or not this game is fresh enough for a $60 price tag. Its a legitimate complaint and I hope you all don't think I'm bitter at life here.

I love(d) the Halo franchise since launch, but I don't see anything really evolutionary here to "upgrade" to borrow a pc term. With what they've done with forge and added content, what's stopping them from adding DLC equipment or possibly weapons?

I wouldn't worry, it looks like an awesome and wholly new game worth a '$60 price-tag'. I'm assuming hardly any of us will pay that much any way. I feel much better about shelling out full price for this than any other game.

Hell, I might just have to buy a new Xbox that isn't banned!

Disagree with you 100%.

He's right. Just compare the games side by side:

• Halo CE
  • No Dual Wield
  • Campaign power ups
  • Enemies - only four kinds of covenant, Hunters died from one shot to the back with a precision weapon. Flood could not be melee'd to death practically, one hit kills difficult on them.
  • Enemy vehicles had independent health bars.
  • Covenant had no long range precision weaponry, but their close combat weaponry was extremely effective with its freeze ability and the unwieldable Sword/Fuel Rod.
  • Fall Damage
  • 4 of the two grenade types
  • Melee had no lunge or assists
  • Health packs
    Halo 2
  • Dual Wielding
  • Addition of Carbine, Brute Shot, Wieldable Sword, Beam Rifle, SMG's, Rocket lock on and Battle Rifle. Removal of Assault Rifle and plasma freeze
  • Replacement of turret with new version. Covenant given warthog counterpart along with the numerous duplications fro their weapons. Health is now reliant on player.
  • No campaign power ups
  • Introduction of Buggers (worst Halo enemy ever) and Brutes (good idea, bad execution).
  • Arbiter takes spotlight, not MC.
  • Brute Shot had bounce
  • No health, shield only system
  • Melee lunge added in.
  • Intense Auto-aim and Aim Assist
  • Scorpion gets a cockpit hatch, loses speed and reload timer
  • Flood can drive vehicles, new Sentinel type
  • Introduction of Assault and Xbox LIVE! + heavily customizable gametypes
  • Boss battles in Campaign.
  • Elites and Brutes main enemy.
    Halo 3
  • Forge
  • Replay Theater
  • More customization
  • Armor perms
  • Needler single wield
  • Sword gets ammunition
  • Brute Hammer, Laser, missile pod, turrets, spiker, mauler, spike nade, incendiary grenade, Assault Rifle and equipment introduced
  • Melee toned down, but patched to create tie's.
  • Magnum made stronger
  • Covenant lose warthog counterpart
  • Classes of enemies more pronounced, new flood types, but all flood is very susceptible to melee or headshot.
  • No campaign power ups
  • Vehicle health tied to character, vehicles added include the Mongoose, AA Wraith, Chopper, other Brute Warthog counterpart and the Scarab (not a vehicle in Halo 2)
  • Battle Rifle dominates gameplay, easy to find easy to get and supply with ammo.
  • Levels become complex and graphically interesting, modifying the simple gameplay of the original games with excess geometry that throws off precision grenade throws or gets in the way of character movement.
  • 2 grenades of each type over the original four.
  • Brutes main enemy

ODST went back to the Halo CE formula, despite still being a bit contaminated with equipment and Brutes. It lacked dual wielding, had health and stamina (health and shields), health packs, etc. Halo Reach, however, looks like even more confusion. Equipement being replaced by Perms, jetpacks, cloak, etc. But they are bringing back the Halo CE pistol and are fixing the BR as the DMR. Made the Carbine more cannon like by turning it into the Needle Rifle. What I also hope to see is the return of Plasma Freeze to an extent, but I doubt that will happen. All these games are entirely different, and none of them are even remotely the same as Halo CE other than ODST. Halo Reach may come close, depending on how it plays.

He's right.

I still disagree 100%. All 3 (or 4 if you count ODST) felt the same and played the same to me. Of course each new game brought different features and options. That isn't what we have been discussing. Halo Reach looks like Halo is Halo still, but with many improvements.

I still disagree 100%. All 3 (or 4 if you count ODST) felt the same and played the same to me. Of course each new game brought different features and options. That isn't what we have been discussing. Halo Reach looks like Halo is Halo still, but with many improvements.

There certainly no doubt in my mind, a very convincing argument has been put forth showing the exact minute gameplay differences between different Halo games.

You cou;d've maybe Rambo'd them all, but you wern't playing them properly...

There certainly no doubt in my mind, a very convincing argument has been put forth showing the exact minute gameplay differences between different Halo games.

Yup...and in the end...it's halo is halo is halo. There is nothing we can do to change your opinion. It's subjective.

Yup...and in the end...it's halo is halo is halo. There is nothing we can do to change your opinion. It's subjective.

Halo is nothing but different. Halo CE was different than every other shooter at the time, and from even its future iterations. Halo is Halo, Halo 2 is Halo 2, and Halo 3 is Halo 3. All the games had their own blend of mechanics and had entirely different game play philosophies. I agree they all felt like Halo to an extent, but none of them played like the original.

• Like 3

This is why it sells so well. Why fix something that's not broken. If a Halo game didn't play like a Halo game, well, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it :P

-Spenser

Ya except you get three different games and 3 different experiences in each three installments. There is nothing subjective about it, its a fact which even Bungie would admit to. If they were the same, why "upgrade" and simply stick to Halo 1? PC version has online multiplayer.

Whatever trips your trigger man wink.gif

I think the point is that just because they are labeled Halo doesn't mean they are the same game. Just like Half Life is very different in its experience than Half Life 2. The same can be said for the episodes even since the game itself was a bore fest riddled with mini-puzzles every two seconds. Other good examples would be the Prince of Persia games, all of which were very different from each other. Same can be said for the CoD games and Battlefield games. No two games give the same experience unless they are very, very good sequels.

I said Halo is Halo is Halo. You put Halo in, and you know you are playing Halo. Halo has a feel, Halo has an artistic direction, Halo has many things. But it's Halo.

The same can be said for almost every sequel game out there. Forza is Forza is Forza. You know what Forza is when you play it. It has an art direction, it has a feel, it has features that you have come to expect from the Forza IP. Auction houses, extensive online feature set, tuning, livery, custom parts. You know you are in Forza when playing it. Splashing on a new menu UI, adding cockpits, adding polygons, adding tire deformation, adding video editing, adding new cars, etc adds/changes the Forza game experience. But it's still Forza.

I can go into Halo CE, then jump into Halo ODST (and most likely Reach) and feel Halo and instantly recognize and play it as Halo. Because it's Halo. I would never sit down in front of COD or Resistance and mistakenly think I am looking at or playing Halo.

I can go into Halo CE, then jump into Halo ODST (and most likely Reach) and feel Halo and instantly recognize and play it as Halo. Because it's Halo. I would never sit down in front of COD or Resistance and mistakenly think I am looking at or playing Halo.

Have you ever tried to sprint in Halo, lol?

The point people are making is that Halo 1 physics is not Halo 2 physics is not Halo 3 physics and will not be Reach physics.

The game STILL is Halo and yes, we'll know that Halo 1 is Halo 3.. That's common sense. It's a series on the same g'damn game.

It just doesn't have the same game physics. It DOES play differently in terms of stuff like bullet spread with BR, reticule with a pistol, gravity, melee, and a plethora of others.

They all have been reworked with each release, so it's all completely different style of gameplay.

When I hop into Halo 2, it's not the same game physics as Halo 3. I know it's Halo because .. it's a Halo game I'm playing. It does NOT play the same whatsoever.

End of story.

• Like 1

Have you ever tried to sprint in Halo, lol?

Nope, but I am looking forward to it. As noted in this thread, Halo Reach has caught my attention big time, and I really am looking forward to it. The jet packs are exciting because they remind me a little of the way Unreal used to play back in the days on PC.

Nope, but I am looking forward to it. As noted in this thread, Halo Reach has caught my attention big time, and I really am looking forward to it. The jet packs are exciting because they remind me a little of the way Unreal used to play back in the days on PC.

Meh, the jetpacks sorta put me off. It seems too much like Tribes for my liking. I understand that they are a replacement for the portable grav lift but they still put me off. Regardless it shouldn't effect me too much since I probably just won't use them.

Meh, the jetpacks sorta put me off. It seems too much like Tribes for my liking. I understand that they are a replacement for the portable grav lift but they still put me off. Regardless it shouldn't effect me too much since I probably just won't use them.

Well, I am interested to see how they implement them. It could turn out to be better than we thought or worse. Wasn't there word that they might be pick ups? It's new gameplay options, so I think it might be well liked. Just a guess though.

Well, I am interested to see how they implement them. It could turn out to be better than we thought or worse. Wasn't there word that they might be pick ups? It's new gameplay options, so I think it might be well liked. Just a guess though.

Well some are thinking positively: Grifball + Jetpacks = Quidditch! Who's With Me?!

Some important analysis for you guys to check out! :)

Some key points:

• Possibly no Elites in "true" multiplayer
  • Weapon fire rate isn't taking a huge hit from bloom
  • Grittier looking medals
  • Call-outs built into the HUD and map now