Cleaning Up The Community

I like the idea of the IPB rep system if you guys can successfully tweak it to only allow positive ratings, I do feel that a lot of people are likely to vote each other down for the sake of it, but I like the idea of rep systems as they generally give you a good barometer as to who you can trust

yeah I don't even want to imagine how many - rep I would get :(

One thing my misspent life thought me is to trust yourself and not the opinions of others.

That's an excellent point when it comes to forming your own opinions and views, but when you need help with something or have a technology problem, that's when a reputation system would be great in regards to finding out who may be the one to trust the most, when receiving multiple responses. I agree with Frank Fontaine there.

yeah I don't even want to imagine how many - rep I would get :(

I couldn't see many people giving you negative rep. I mean it isn't your fault, you can't help being a West Ham fan :rofl:

I couldn't see many people giving you negative rep. I mean it isn't your fault, you can't help being a West Ham fan :rofl:

yeah but its worse to be a Liverpool fan on this forum ;)

It's not about seeing how helpful you are, it's about saying a thanks for the help. But each to their own. It's just an idea. Would solve the look at my status you WILL get if this goes into use. But it won't bother me either way.

And even if not keeping it private, I think more people will be willing to give a thanks then give a + to someone's status, but that's just me. Still like the thanks better then + rating, be it private or public.

That's a fair point, to some people giving thanks is much more intuitive than giving a +/- score.

yeah but its worse to be a Liverpool fan on this forum ;)

Yep, you aren't kidding :laugh:

That's a fair point, to some people giving thanks is much more intuitive than giving a +/- score.

I think both methods are equally valid, but I don't agree with whoever it was that made the point about keeping the scores private, it would defeat the purpose of having the system in the first place.

I've always dug the Show/Hide system. Enough -'s would result in the voted down post being hidden. Click to view.

That's one way of letting the users clean up most of the trash. Easier on Mods.

Never been a fan of Rep/Thanks systems. I've never liked the post count being tracked as well. It's like achievement/brag/epeen points to some people.

I've always dug the Show/Hide system. Enough -'s would result in the voted down post being hidden. Click to view.

That's one way of letting the users clean up most of the trash. Easier on Mods.

Never been a fan of Rep/Thanks systems. I've never liked the post count being tracked as well. It's like achievement/brag/epeen points to some people.

In theory, yes. In reality... no.

It will be extremely abused.

The problem with hiding posts that get negative rep is that some people still like to read them, and the problem is that a lot of discussions can become fractured and disjointed if you can't read all of the points that are being raised.

That's an excellent point when it comes to forming your own opinions and views, but when you need help with something or have a technology problem, that's when a reputation system would be great in regards to finding out who may be the one to trust the most, when receiving multiple responses. I agree with Frank Fontaine there.

And I agree with both of you.

The problem with hiding posts that get negative rep is that some people still like to read them, and the problem is that a lot of discussions can become fractured and disjointed if you can't read all of the points that are being raised.

I completely agree with you, although making the hidden posts still accessible to the user via click to show could alleviate the confusion.

After further thought, It just wouldn't work for these forums.

And I agree with both of you.

On each and every forum the persons with high rep are mostly insufferable pompous things you sit on. ?And the higher the rep the less likely to take a differing viewpoint kindly.

Also, as has been stated by many other, the net is absolutely chockful of tech sites. As many others i just do a quick search if i have an issue and usually find the correct answer that quickest because the google rating works as an excellent rep system.

And also i don't like it because no one ever gives me rep points ? :cry:

And also i don't like it because no one ever gives me rep points ? :cry:

I could care less if anyone gives me rep points are not. I'm going to post like I always do regardless.

How about the right to a paypal donate button since we're at it? Since it seems i must by stimulated to display proper social behavior by a system of rewards rather than my own integrity, at least make the positive feedback worth my while.?

And if i don't like the person who gave my a rep can i undo it? Or i've been on good terms with someone but now i hate his guts and i want my reps back?

Questions, questions. The mind wonders.

Paypal has nothing to do with this. A members Profile would show the number of thanks he/she received and the number of thanks that this member gave other members. This is not a pay for help forum.

On each and every forum the persons with high rep are mostly insufferable pompous things you sit on. ?And the higher the rep the less likely to take a differing viewpoint kindly.

I've never posted on any boards that had a rep system but I've lurked on a few and it seems the most popular members and those with the most post counts seem to get the higher reps, whether they deserve it or not.

Perhaps we should track the percentage of posts that get +1 reps. That way, if somebody spammed 10,000 posts of mostly garbage their 150 total reps would look less valuable than somebody who got 100 reps on their first 1000 posts.

Perhaps we should track the percentage of posts that get +1 reps. That way, if somebody spammed 10,000 posts of mostly garbage their 150 total reps would look less valuable than somebody who got 100 reps on their first 1000 posts.

Who will keep count? :)

I think that'd be unfair to longtime members. After all, the rep system is going up with the new site. People that register new accounts after the new site goes up will be at a potential percentage advantage.

Yeah, it might also discourage people from posting (which isn't what we want). Some people may not post unless they can think of something that is truly +1 worthy to keep their track record alive.

Yea, I think so.

I think both methods are equally valid, but I don't agree with whoever it was that made the point about keeping the scores private, it would defeat the purpose of having the system in the first place.

That was me, and it was just an idea to keep people from wanting to build their egos. But maybe it wasn't the best idea after all.

I've not really got the whole jist of things but I'm pretty sure my fanbase would award me negative rep points :p

I don't really care much, but to be fair I do think systems to award people who work hard for the board are nice, MVC is a great idea, but I also think there are people who do a lot of work but maybe aren't just as deserving as MVC (me of course ;)). It would be nice for some sort of tier based system for those that do a lot for the community but not quite as much as those deserving of the MVC badge, just so they get a wee bit of recognition. It spurs people on, not that I need spurring on, I enjoy helping the community regardless.

I've probably got the whole jist of the last few posts I skimmed wrong, I apologise if I have, my med dosage is quite high just now and my concentration span a bit wonky.

What about a strictness on duplicate accounts? A certain member has been haunting the forums and plenty of evidence has been presented, there's even more to present yet he gets to stay?

What about a strictness on duplicate accounts? A certain member has been haunting the forums and plenty of evidence has been presented, there's even more to present yet he gets to stay?

Surely the admins have looked into this and come to the conclusion that he isn't the same guy?

Surely the admins have looked into this and come to the conclusion that he isn't the same guy?

Believe me, it's him - I got a heap of evidence against him, some presented to the staff and a bunch that hasn't.