Avast! Version 5.0 is here! Antivirus & Internet Security

Used about 5-10 Mb so far, The new interface is simply great, It's very light when going from element to another in the interface too.

Criteria for good anti-virus program is not how great the interface is, IMHO. Although you can annoy people by showing strange dialogs all the time, such as Norton does.

Either you have crap speakers or a crap soundcard because the voice has gone from a robotic male voice to a smoother female voice - how on earth is that worse?

You obviously don't have many large folder structures then.

This MSE bug has been in MSE since BETA, large folder browsing makes disk i/o crawl as the resident engine scans every file very slowly and uses most of the CPU %.

My software folder conatins all downloaded software installers and disc images of mine so is around 21GB in size, loading it takes ages in MSE where as in AVAST it's instant.

The heuristics engine and scanner behaviour allow more control in AVAST too and it's more feature packed.

I have this exact problem, huge folder full of downloaded installers that takes ages to load all the icons. I never thought MSE could be the culprit.

Disabled it in Services, and voila, the icons loads almost instantly now. Time to go back to avast I guess.

upsell ads?? Where did that come from?

His backside :p

AVAST Free has no ads, either he installed something else or downloaded AVAST from a 3rd party who packaged ads.

I've said it before but common sense people, you lack it if you cannot figure out how to not install the AVAST 4.8 skins or disable the sounds and then proceed to complain about an ugly UI and ugly sounds....or ads (wtf).

AVAST Free has no ads, either he installed something else or downloaded AVAST from a 3rd party who packaged ads.

I've said it before but common sense people, you lack it if you cannot figure out how to not install the AVAST 4.8 skins or disable the sounds and then proceed to complain about an ugly UI and ugly sounds....or ads (wtf).

Avast shows you upsell adverts after 30 days of using their free version. The upsell ad has a small link at the bottom to register for a "home" key which removes the annoying red popup informing you your license has expired.

That has never happened for me after 30 days, it only happens if your license is expired - that would mean you never bothered to re-register to get a new license key (free). AVAST does remind you that the license is about to expire and that you should re-register/get a pro license etc.

In AVAST 5 it's even simpler as it's all done through the main UI itself.

so any nod32 users tried this and thought it was better? by better i mean provides better performance or at least the same.

Edited by Hani

so any nod32 users tried this and thought it was better?

I was a NOD32 user for a few years. It's definitely got a faster scanner than Avast and it took up less resources than the old Avast 4. If you still have a subscription to NOD32 then there's really no need to switch until it runs out. If you want something free though, and without bloat then you should give Avast 5 a go.

Also, is it just me or does the Avast 5 woman's voice sound a lot like the Star Trek (TNG, DS9) computer voice?

About 10 days ago I've bought Norton 2010 AV subscription :/ ... Only if I knew ...

Can you tell me how much services its running and how much memory it uses?

so any nod32 users tried this and thought it was better? by better i mean provides better performance or at least the same.

I think NOD32 is much better than avast!. Maybe the "shell" of avast! is better, but NOD32 has a very good performance, and a very good defintion rate, much higher avast

Avast! is a very good product, but it only can compete with the free solutions. Kaspersky, Norton or NOD32 are different solutions, with innovative technologies, that add new services like Parental control, Virtual keyboard, sandbox...

I looked at a screenshot of Avast 5 free and it had an ad at the bottom of the UI similar to AVG's. If its not there, great but I'm still not interested in it till I see how effective it is. A pretty UI doesn't = effective security.

Oh and about the backside comment....**** off!

I think NOD32 is much better than avast!. Maybe the "shell" of avast! is better, but NOD32 has a very good performance, and a very good defintion rate, much higher avast

Avast! is a very good product, but it only can compete with the free solutions. Kaspersky, Norton or NOD32 are different solutions, with innovative technologies, that add new services like Parental control, Virtual keyboard, sandbox...

i don't care about these additional services. i just want a decent lightweight av. nod32 isn't free, so if avast is able to match its performance, i'll make the switch.

I looked at a screenshot of Avast 5 free and it had an ad at the bottom of the UI similar to AVG's. If its not there, great but I'm still not interested in it till I see how effective it is. A pretty UI doesn't = effective security.

Oh and about the backside comment....**** off!

You mean this?

post-22895-1264084722_thumb.jpg

That's hardly the ad you're making it to be, talk about exhagerration, it's not even obtrusive and it's not an ad in the standard sense anyway, just a banner explaining what the paid for version gives and a link - otherwise there'd be a huge white space there on the summary tab since it's only on the summary tab.

Am I the only one who doesn't like 3rd parties skinning window borders ? This just looks ugly. Why not let Aero take care of skinning and save yourself the hassle of creating this hideous dark skin?

Am I the only one who doesn't like 3rd parties skinning window borders ? This just looks ugly. Why not let Aero take care of skinning and save yourself the hassle of creating this hideous dark skin?

+1

That annoys me so much.... ALL applications should be made native to fit in with Windows as much as they can THEN give the option of obscure Windows Blinds like skins.

You obviously don't have many large folder structures then.

This MSE bug has been in MSE since BETA, large folder browsing makes disk i/o crawl as the resident engine scans every file very slowly and uses most of the CPU %.

My software folder conatins all downloaded software installers and disc images of mine so is around 21GB in size, loading it takes ages in MSE where as in AVAST it's instant.

The heuristics engine and scanner behaviour allow more control in AVAST too and it's more feature packed.

I never noticed that before, but you are right. I tested this by going through my own downloads folder (16 GB, 2025 files and 258 folders), and my CPU usage (consumed by the MsMpEng process) went up to 96% and my HDD activity LED came on pretty heavily. Think I will go over to the new version of Avast myself

+1

That annoys me so much.... ALL applications should be made native to fit in with Windows as much as they can THEN give the option of obscure Windows Blinds like skins.

+1. However with skins, at least v5 looks better than v4.