Homoeopathy sceptics plan mass 'overdose'

Ah cool, sorry for the confusion :)

Yeah....Holistic Medicine isnt Homeopathy...although "Homeopatic Physicians" try to claim it to be.

Holistic Medicine works, can be shown to scientifically work, however it has some psychological benefits which occur where they haven't quite figured out whats causing it. So yes, there are some benefits to acupuncture, and bee sting ointment and guano (bat feces)...ect ect.

Homeopathy falls into one of 2 areas:

1) has been shown to NOT work.

2) hasn't been shown to work.

Taking Homeopathic medicine is like betting on green at a roulette table.

Used it over a decade, didn't work, disprove that :)

Not saying anything in particular about homoeopathy, I just hate the "If you don't agree is because you don't know it" mentality. Such mentality screams "I am right and you are ignorant".

Maybe you didn't go to a good doctor. But, it has worked perfectly for me and my family for years. I say if you have any disease contact me and I will try to give you the names of Homeopathy medicine you ought to take. And, maybe then you will believe. I don't have any reason to praise homeopathy. I am not trying to sell you something. I am just saying it because it has worked.

Don't give opinion about something you don't know. Just because it doesn't contain chemicals doesn't mean it isn't medicine and is just "water and sugar".

Try then tell.

Homeopathy works perfectly. If you don't agree then maybe you haven't used it. I am using homeopathy medicines from childhood and it has cured all my diseases. It works like tablets but without the side effects. It's also easy on the body. And it works quickly also. I have seen its effects on me and my family. It has cured diseases which "normal" doctors giving tablets wasn't able to cure. :yes:

Exactly! At least they don't pose the risks that other medications do! If we were meant to take these medications in the form that they are sold in, they would grow out of the ground or on a tree that way. I for one am not going to take a pill that is potentially going to make me suicidal! I enjoy living a bit more than that thank you as I am sure you agree! lol.

Homeopathy works with the placebo effect: Its all in your mind.

Lets give a person with a virus homeopathic medicine instead of an antibiotic to see if he survives...

And? I read it but it doesn't explain anything in a scientific way. You can believe whatever you want and yeah homeopathic remidies can help people but don't try and make out homeopathy has some scientific basis because it doesn't, there's no active ingredient only magic.

Just because the ingredients haven't been scientifically proven doesn't mean they don't work. ;) Science is based on creating theories, trying to prove them, and later refining them with further evidence. That is not to say that science is bad in any way. It simply means that homeopathic medication hasn't been proven "yet"! :) If they didn't work, then how did other civilizations live long without all of these medications? Answer me that. :D

Homeopathy works with the placebo effect: Its all in your mind.

Lets give a person with a virus homeopathic medicine instead of an antibiotic to see if he survives...

Then how do you explain the long lifespans of prior civilizations? :) Diseases didn't just appear on the scene in the 18th century last time I checked. lol.

Then how do you explain the long lifespans of prior civilizations? :) Diseases didn't just appear on the scene in the 18th century last time I checked. lol.

The average lifespan has almost doubled since the 1800's.

I suppose 60 year life expectancy is "long" in some countries.

People didnt live that long...infact for recorded history life spans have been between the 40-60 mark until the 1940's after anti-biotics were discovered (penecillin).

What long life-spans?

Humans by Era, Average Lifespan (in years)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Neanderthal, 20

Neolithic, 20

Classical Greece, 28

Classical Rome, 28

Medieval England, 33

End of 18th Century, 37

Early 20th Century, 50

Circa 1940, 65

Current (in the West), 77-81

http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/life-expectancy/timeline-for-humans.html

The average lifespan has almost doubled since the 1800's.

I suppose 60 year life expectancy is "long" in some countries.

People didnt live that long...infact for recorded history life spans have been between the 40-60 mark until the 1940's after anti-biotics were discovered (penecillin).

Ok, point taken. However, they would have lived much happier lives I imagine. They didn't have doctors prescribing medications that created side effects just to get them back to buy more medications now did they? ;) I am not going to argue my point any longer. I just know that I will not take the risk of all of the side effects when I could live a much healthier life (even if it is shorter). :)

Ok, point taken. However, they would have lived much happier lives I imagine. They didn't have doctors prescribing medications that created side effects just to get them back to buy more medications now did they? ;) I am not going to argue my point any longer. I just know that I will not take the risk of all of the side effects when I could live a much healthier life (even if it is shorter). :)

They did have doctors

Those doctors prescribed things like...i dunno..leeches (which actually have a medicinal benefit).

Homeopathy doesnt work. If you're looking at it as an option...save your money and pour yourself a glass of water. Remember...water has "MEMORY".

If that is the case, then don't take any medicine at all (homeopathic or not), since you don't know the side effects that water with sugar could have.

Just because the ingredients haven't been scientifically proven doesn't mean they don't work. ;) Science is based on creating theories, trying to prove them, and later refining them with further evidence. That is not to say that science is bad in any way. It simply means that homeopathic medication hasn't been proven "yet"! :) If they didn't work, then how did other civilizations live long without all of these medications? Answer me that. :D

@Winlonghorn: Your argument is so astoundingly past the point. Ancient civilisations didn't know *why* their medicines worked because they *couldn't*. Microscopic examination of chemical uptake, hormone release and the various other mechanisms medicines, including herbal remedies, work in was beyond their grasp. We can quite empircally show that homeopathy is not only clinically ineffective, but also chemically useless.

Everyone who has posted about homeopathy's effects are listing anecdotes. The (so far one) person who says they've used it and not seen any effect is also an anecdote.

A dozen or so (no more because its quite obvious) scientific studies (including one televised by the BBC) took 'reputable' homeopathic 'doctors' and asked them to provide remedies to certain ailments which the entire sample group (who used homeopathy) took along with placebos.

The unsurprising result was that there was NO difference in efficacy between placebo and homeopathic remedies. This is, unsuprisingly, because there is nothing in the remedy to do anything beyond hydrate you.

Wow, people here actually think homoeopathy works?!

Homoeopathy has been proven not to work, as well as not being proven to work. Double-blind clinical trials prove this as well as the physical and chemical theory behind the practice.

If you took a homoeopathic "remedy" and you got better then good for you... but I can categorically say that aside from any placebo effect, it was not the homoeopathy that did it.

Antibiotics do not affect viral diseases. They only become relevant when a secondary bacterial infection develops.

While I think homeopathy is nuts, it is one of those stupid blunders that can reduce the fitness of the population that partakes. Just a thought.

Wow, people here actually think homoeopathy works?!

Homoeopathy has been proven not to work, as well as not being proven to work. Double-blind clinical trials prove this as well as the physical and chemical theory behind the practice.

If you took a homoeopathic "remedy" and you got better then good for you... but I can categorically say that aside from any placebo effect, it was not the homoeopathy that did it.

Yea, I thought the exact same thing as I read through this thread.

• 1 month later...

The problem with this kind of thing is that you better make damn sure you know what's really in that pill or bottle.

"Alternative" medicine is very poorly regulated, and in many cases things sold as homeopathic actually contain active ingredients (true homeopathic remedies don't).

Even if they claim not to, I wouldn't trust them.