I'm the only one who don't like the new theme?

+1 for IMPSBL's online icon

I'm glad you liked it! Here's another even more subtler idea that will fit all color schemes, including the Darkside one that's coming soon.

10869287.jpg

and here's the icon (maybe someone can use those icons to replace the original one in Stylish?)

statusonline2.png

• Like 2

The only thing I miss is the speed :(

That should return when the search bots stop hammering the site, the post rebuilding finishes, and they get spy working temporarily.

Generally it's better, but as already mentioned I don't really like the big red online banner thing. It looks really out of place.

Personally I find it quiet useful

I agree. I've learned to accept his want-to-be-witty negative posts. Give him credit for always leaving himself an escape route to take after ever comment. It's only by accepting that, that I'm able to post anything in the gamers forums.

I could see new-comers turning away by the stench of his aftershave. One has to wonder, with this quality of countless posts, how many have turned away already?

It can be quite contagious too. It's no wonder why NW's numbers are down.

Edit: I also voted to hide post counts or anything that can influence an 'e=peen'.

Maybe that is what should be followed with "cleaning up the community", granted Sethos may be known and understood by most of our regulars, but the problem is when you post in that manner to a user who doesn't understand your sense of humour it can cause an issue.

Could just change the colour of the banner, something that matches the theme - Blue, black etc.

The whole idea of it is to make it stand out, so you can see very clearly who is on and who isn't.

[...] My biggest criticism is how the forums fill to the browser window width. I don't run in a maximised browser window now, and still each forum post's text spans too great a stretch horizontally. There are design fundamentals on the optimal number of text characters per line, which the forum design isn't following. I'd suggest running the forum at a fixed width instead.

THIS.

AND:

Somehow I think that there's too little contrast in the default theme.

I also don't like the "online" banners... wow, that -IMHO- doesn't suit the smooth theme at all. maybe a matter of taste?

Why is "Location" gone on the left of our posts? I love checking out whether you're an American, an Asian, maybe even a fellow German, a UK guy, etc... *sigh*

What I really like is the new reputation system for example, the spy feature, which will be activated sometime soon, yay looking forward to that! ^_^

I really miss mini-spy bad atm.

Glassed Silver:win

PS: don't know where to ask this, but why is BBCode gone in the News Comments? *ARGH* :(

The whole idea of it is to make it stand out, so you can see very clearly who is on and who isn't.

Why does it matter? It's a message board, not a chat room. If you really do want to see if someone is online a small inconspicuous icon or text label works just as well as a big glaring red banner jumping out at you.

One thing that I've noticed is that there doesn't seem to be as much contrast in this new theme. On the default Atlas theme there's still a lot of contrast in the header and tabs area, but further down the page it seems to get a bit mushy and unsaturated.

Overall I like the new theme, and I really like Darkside on the front page so I'm hoping to see that on the forums soon :)

(And please implement one of these alternatives to the red 'online' banner!)

I think it is a case of getting used to it for the people who preferred the old theme. I initially preferred the old theme, but this one is starting to grow on me. The interface is now more user friendly

Yes we're going to change that online red banner. Thanks for the feedback.

You could also

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("neowin.net") {

.status-online{ background:url(http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5360/statusonline.png) !important;background-repeat:no-repeat}

}

See, this is where the reputation system comes into play: Instead of posting '+1' you could have just give him a reputation point.

Oh, ok, used it!

I'm glad you liked it! Here's another even more subtler idea that will fit all color schemes, including the Darkside one that's coming soon.

10869287.jpg

and here's the icon (maybe someone can use those icons to replace the original one in Stylish?)

statusonline2.png

Hmmm I kinda like that one, but without the lettesrs the green icon, +1 there's goes a point towards your rep :p

I liked Finity, but Atlas is just so much better. Going back to Finity was like going back to Win XP :D

That's what I thought when we had to go back to Finity (Y) :D

Once you get used to the theme, and all the new features, it really is better. People dont like change, its a natural habit but after some time youll love this theme...

I'd change that to say "some people don't like change," because I always love change when there are improvements (e.g. the new forums/front page); however, a lot of people always say "nobody likes change" or "people don't like change" and that is simply wrong.

I miss quick edit since I always mess up my posts the first time around :)

[...]

Me too. I'm not a great speller anyway and I always see something wrong that needs correcting. I want quick edit back.

[...]

'Quick Edit' is still there, guys. When you click 'Edit,' it now automatically defaults to the 'Quick Edit' mode and there is a button with the caption "Use Full Editor" to see further options.

[...]

Also, dunno what multiquote is all about, sometimes I just want to highlight once sentence of a previous post why can't I just highlight a line of a post and press quote and have it start a new post with that line quoted? Maybe it can but I'm too stupid to work it out I dunno.

[...]

'Multi-Quote' is a way for you to quote multiple posts; when you click 'Add Reply' all of those quotes will be in the reply box, ready for you to reply to each one. As far as I am aware, there is no way for you to select part of a post and instantaneously quote that snippet, but once you have selected the posts you wish to quote, there is nothing stopping you from deleting the part of the quote you do not need (as I have done in this post).

Yes we're going to change that on-line red banner. Thanks for the feedback.

:(

I hope you're changing it to something just as nice (but perhaps less obtrusive) and nothing like the suggestions already posted in this thread. I suggest simply a green circle by the name of the poster who is on-line. There doesn't need to be a label stating "On-line" because people will understand what the green blob is when they see it on some posts and not others; if they don't they will most likely hover over it to view the tooltip which says "On-line" - that's how it worked on IPB2.

I agree with the changing of the Online. I honestly think the entire user box (the left side showing all user stats) is way to big. Would be great if it was smaller, and maybe have the online notification at the bottom or something.

One thing I really do miss though is it showing poster Location. Honestly I didn't even think it mattered until it was gone, but I find myself with A LOT of topics/posts thinking well I wonder if thats UK only, or something similar. I would REALLY like to see Location under your avatar return

It takes time getitng used to, but Atlas is cool. I liked the blue color of Finity more than the blue color of Atlas, but its just a minor thing.

We appreciate the feedback but it's more helpful if you explain why you don't like the new theme :)

A smaller/fixed width will make the forums look a lot much better (ex. 1050px)

also the down banner 300 x 250 looks very ugly there, 728 x 90 looks nicer and the board statistics/active users in the finity style.

just my opinion

neowin.png

Edited by oz.

I think the new theme is great. The ONLY thing I wish could be changed is Replies and Views in seperate columns... or, take views out completely. I'm just used to easily glancing at a specific place to see how active a topic is, rather than have to read the small print :p