Starcraft 2 Beta

Dying for some StarCraft II Beta footage? :p

Check this out: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/starcraft2/video/6251445/starcraft-ii-beta-now-playing

Woohoo, im in and won my first free for all game :)

Damn! You are one lucky individual. What are your system specs?

Should that really be a concern, this is Blizzard game, it's meant to run at 60FPS on a hairdryer :p

I wasn't worried about performance. :p

How do I get selected to become a beta tester?

Participants for each beta test will be selected from the pool of eligible testers who have opted in based on their system specifications, beta-test preferences, and other factors, including pure luck. Opting in does not guarantee you will be selected to participate in a beta test.

http://www.starcraft2.com/beta-faq.xml

Woohoo, im in and won my first free for all game :)

Lucky ******. How long have you been Opted in? I opted in last year asap when I found out, but the op in was available for a few months, which means a LOT of people got in.

But what is your system performance? only because they said they will select people from all groups.

... Don't get all knowledgeable with me young man!

Not sure why, I never really liked the first SC except the music but I really want to play this one :laugh:

If you get picked and I don't, I swear... I'll fly to Denmark and steal your computer at gunpoint with your Battle.net username/password. :shifty:

If you get picked and I don't, I swear... I'll fly to Denmark and steal your computer at gunpoint with your Battle.net username/password. :shifty:

I'll have the coffee ready :happy:

... Don't get all knowledgeable with me young man!

Not sure why, I never really liked the first SC except the music but I really want to play this one :laugh:

Nothing has changed, at all. It's just Starcraft with new graphics. If you like this one, it's purely superficial reasons. Which I doubt would influence given your past hate of anything besides perfection.

Nothing has changed, at all. It's just Starcraft with new graphics. If you like this one, it's purely superficial reasons. Which I doubt would influence given your past hate of anything besides perfection.

I never said I hated it, I just wasn't an RTS gamer when it was released and only got to try the game at a point where the graphics where inferior to everything else

and that had a major impact on my first impression; a crappy looking RTS. The only way I can ever forgive bad graphics is when nostalgia kicks in, then I can accept ugly old DOS graphics.

The minimum system requirements for the Starcraft II Beta are as follows:

PC Minimum Requirements:

? Windows XP SP3/Vista SP1/Windows 7

? 2.2 Ghz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor

? 1 GB system RAM/1.5 GB for Vista and Windows 7

? 128 MB NVidia GeForce 6600 GT/ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card

? 1024x768 minimum display resolution

? 4 GB free hard space (Beta)

? Broadband connection

GameTrailers put up a bunch of beta videos: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/starcraft-ii/4868 (Y)

By the way, if you got an invite to the beta.. post your specs so we could get an idea of why Blizzard chose you. After all, they select participants based on their system specs and a couple of other factors.

GameTrailers put up a bunch of beta videos: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/starcraft-ii/4868 (Y)

By the way, if you got an invite to the beta.. post your specs so we could get an idea of why Blizzard chose you. After all, they select participants based on their system specs and a couple of other factors.

From the video that GameSpot has posted in their Now Playing segment, the SC2 beta is pretty spiffy performancewise, even on a laptop. (That was a concern.)

The real issue is apparently going to be network (BattleNet) performance, as opposed to play locally (no single-player in the beta, of course).

I'm going to be bouncing in and out of my BattleNet account (since i've reinstalled SC Anthology as well for a head-to-head comparo to SC2's beta, if I get in) hoping for good news.

Dying for some StarCraft II Beta footage? :p

Check this out: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/starcraft2/video/6251445/starcraft-ii-beta-now-playing

Damn! You are one lucky individual. What are your system specs?

My specs are mid to high end I suppose. I signed up for the opt-in at the same time everyone else did when battle.net re-launched last year. At the same time I added my SC and WC3 keys. The SC key I entered into bnet was my original copy from the release some 10ish years ago.

• EVGA X58
  • Core i7 920
  • 12GB DDR3 12800 OCZ Ram
  • 2x 150GB 10k Velociraptors in Raid 0
  • EVGA 8800GTX
  • Onboard sound
  • Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Wasn't there a question box of why you wanted to be in the test for SC2? Perhaps I was witty enough to get picked :p?

From my single game play experience so far, I find getting started is very very similar. I chose random and got Zerg as a race. Up until zerglings it was all quite the same build as you would be used to. Hydras are now Tier 2 and take longer to get, but my opponents were not all that challenging so the game didn't last very long for me to experience Zerg fully.

Are people from the UK/EU getting invites or is it just US people?

So far as I can tell, US atm. Not sure how that works exactly, since I have a Blizzcon 2008 code, but haven't got in. It's possible I identified myself as EU when entering it, so have to wait for the Euro phase.

They're probably picking people with different specs, so there's no point in knowing the specs of who got chosen. They'll probably choose x-amount of people with low end computers, x-amount with mid-range PC's and x-amount with high-end PC's. Its would be a pretty stupid beta test if everyone had a similar setup.