Starcraft 2 Beta

So people are still receiving beta keys now? All hope is not lost then!

I really hope I get a key. I've literally been DYING to play this damn game!

By the way, if you got an invite to the beta.. post your specs so we could get an idea of why Blizzard chose you. After all, they select participants based on their system specs and a couple of other factors.

I'm calling BS on that Anaron.

I'm running an Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67 Ghz, 6.00 Gig of Ram running Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate edition, with 2 nVidia 250s. Dual Monitors. Monitor #1 : Acer H233H, 1920x1080. Monitor #2 Dell 2405 FPW 1920x1280.

I signed up day one of sign ups.

They still haven't shot me a beta invite.

I think its 100% random.

I'm running an Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67 Ghz, 6.00 Gig of Ram running Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate edition, with 2 nVidia 250s. Dual Monitors. Monitor #1 : Acer H233H, 1920x1080. Monitor #2 Dell 2405 FPW 1920x1280.

I think its 100% random.

That just tells them you wont have an issue playing it as you will most likely out spec their recommended requirements.

They probably choose the lower specification computers to see how the game scales and plays on their systems.

That just tells them you wont have an issue playing it as you will most likely out spec their recommended requirements.

They probably choose the lower specification computers to see how the game scales and plays on their systems.

I play on a P4 2.2ghz with an ATI 3600. By that logic, I should have a key...

I play on a P4 2.2ghz with an ATI 3600. By that logic, I should have a key...

Who's saying people with specifications like your are not already part of the beta?

It just makes sense for them to invite people with lower specifications as they know not everyone who buys their games has the latest and greatest.

I think its 100% random.

Taken straight from the StarCraft II beta FAQ:

How do I get selected to become a beta tester?

Participants for each beta test will be selected from the pool of eligible testers who have opted in based on their system specifications, beta-test preferences, and other factors, including pure luck. Opting in does not guarantee you will be selected to participate in a beta test.

My guess is they're getting an X amount of people that meet a certain criteria. For example, people that have at least 2 games registered on their B.net account as well as an HD 4870 X2 and a quad-core CPU.

Nothing has changed, at all. It's just Starcraft with new graphics. If you like this one, it's purely superficial reasons. Which I doubt would influence given your past hate of anything besides perfection.

Yup. I got in too, played a single game, and realized there's no reason for me to rush out and buy it... Actually, I probably won't buy it, because I got to beta test it. It's that un-original.

Yup. I got in too, played a single game, and realized there's no reason for me to rush out and buy it... Actually, I probably won't buy it, because I got to beta test it. It's that un-original.

I'll take your account! :laugh:

Guess you missed the entire purpose behind SC2.

I'll give you a guess. Blizzard wasn't trying to be original in any shape or form.

wow it makes me sick to my stomach that people like this get a key and yet diehard fans who are eagerly willing to troubleshoot the game are left with nothing

I just got in a few days ago (opt-in), it was added to my b.net account many days before I got an email, and I'm just really starting to play now. I'm 5-1 and going strong, lost to mass carriers/mothership even though I knew it was coming and built a lot of Vikings :(

There are no chat rooms in beta, and I've been mostly doing 1v1, looking for some competent 2v2 partners out there :D Hit me up if you want to play, name is CGar.woof

Got my beta invite a week ago. Have about 20 games underneath my belt now.

Initially, it plays just like original starcraft. If you are good at the original, you should be able to jump in and be pretty good at 2 with a few familiarity games. Once you start understanding all the new units, moves, techs etc. You'll notice that there is WAY MORE DEPTH to the start game. There is also more depth to the counters, micro-meta-games, and tech trees. The cool thing is the units all feel more accessable quicker. If your plan is to rush to a higher tier unit, the strategy is much more viable now than it was in the previous game.

Rushing is even more apart of life now, but by the same token, there are more ways to defend it. Cloaked units are easier to get quick, detectors are easier to get quick, units that fly (or kinda fly) are quick to get. I see most games are ending at tier2 units. Tier 1 units for the rush / scouting / defence. Whoever picks the right counter on the tier 2 units normally ends the victor. Only in FFA games have I seen the top tier units come out.

Zerg's primary strategy seems to be ling rush, then roaches. Roaches are friggin powerful they heal up quick when burrowed, and can move burrowed. It's basically a half tier up from lings, and if micro'd properly against someone who doesn't have detectors or air, it's an easy win for zerg. Funny thing is, when I play zerg, i know most people are expecting this, so I rush lings / mutes (CLASSIC), and the air wipes out my enemy every time... hahaha =)

Anyways, I'm still learning the game. It's tough to explore new units when you're trying to be competitive, so maybe I'll have to play some unranked games and turtle to discover all the races :)

After our post above, I WANT BETA NAO. been Opted in for a year and a month now

Ya I opted in about the same time. I think that was right when it was announced :)

Funny thing - I opted in with my macbook, submitted those specs and everything. But they only gave me a Windows installer. Really, it was a blessing in disguise, cuz I hate RTSs on laptops. So I installed it on my windows desktop, it's a few years old, so I can't crank the graphics - but really, I could care less about the graphics, I got it for the gameplay :D

I "got in" the beta last week, although I can only play single player games :shiftyninja:

They must be have given you a different version than they gave me. I don't have single player :whistle:

Anyone here willing to make an exchange!? I am willing to trade HoN key(s) for SC2 beta key. Yes that's how desperate I am to get in. I will give you multiple (if needed) HoN keys for the SC2 beta key. PM me for exchange or more info =]

They must be have given you a different version than they gave me. I don't have single player :whistle:

He means AI skirmishes. It's all I've played too.

zerg is **** now.

For my first 10 or 15 games, I felt zerg was underpowered compared to what I could do with terran and protoss.

But then you learn the game. It's pretty balanced... I don't have any problems against terran and protoss with zerg. Maybe it's cuz I'm in a lower pool and just started to get my game. But there seems to be a pretty set "anti-zerg" strategy, and my strategy is designed to kill those strategies. I was on an 8 game winning streak until another zerg killed me :(