• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Darkside enabled on the forums

Damien    26

Sweetness! Major thanks Timan, I've been waiting for this. :)

Ridlas    39

Beautiful!

spikey_richie    212

Sweetness! Major thanks Timan, I've been waiting for this. :)

Happy Birthday Damien

• Like 1

Wannes    35

Great skin but it just doesn't beat Midnight. ;)

SimplySchizo    130

I personally don't like it. Unfortunately gifs and pngs as avatars look very different and pixelated. I personally prefer a nice clean fresh look.

I dont think its fare to blame the theme for a lack of detail on an avatars/graphic a member made. people just need to pump up their attention to detail or simply their transparency when making their graphics. a dark background is going to reveal graphical flaws that are easily overlooked and hard to catch against a bright background as far as transparency is concerned.

folks are just going to want to take another look at there work...in detail.

• Like 1

lawtai    3

Thanks for putting the work in on it!

(Spork)    87

love it ! thx !

i_was_here    46

Its finally here, yay! Thanks Timan.

Jamushroom    201

I see the Mini Spy when I refresh the front page on the forums. I've checked it with other skins and I only see it with the Darkside theme.

All in all it's a nice addition to the choice of skins for the forums. I personally wouldn't use it as I like Midnight and Blue over Darkside. Plus blue is my favorite color :p

Steve B.    467

Even though I'm grateful for the amount of work put in to get this operational. I can't see how I will use it as my main skin for the site. The colouring of the text and icons clashes and there's too much dark.

That's a problem I have with the Black theme, it's too black rather than dark grey, which goes better with the gradients.

Another thing, I'm all for a Graphite theme (Y)

SMELTN    142

oh man it looks nice. Thanks so much Timan!! Font looks better in Darkside also.

Gladiatorus    278

Woohoo!!!! Thanks Timan, this is sweet!!!!

Growled    3,880

This makes a lot of people happy. Thanks Timan. :)

Singh400    184

Oh. My God. This. Is. Lush. <3

Subject Delta    108

In my opinion the dark colour of the skin clashes far too much with the brightly coloured elements like member group titles, and subscriber / staff badges. Not being a lover of dark skins myself, I will stick with midnight, but its good to see choices to suit all (Y)

• Like 1

wolfman1380    5

I'm having problems posting emoticons when posting replies, the emoticon tab is empty. Can see others using smilies :( all in all love the theme.

Killerj    0

Thumbs Up ! It does not hurt my eye anymore.

sanctified    1,220

Some bugs:

Capturadepantalla2010-02-16alas1151.png

I think these should be a shade of grey, both images and the forum names. It would look more unified.

Capturadepantalla2010-02-16alas1150.png

The arrow just dont look right.

Also, there is no way to attach images from your computer on the full editor.

carmatic    54

this skin is definitely a different experience... it has alot of dark and light elements, and flow isnt how it works... it reminds me of the late nights during the late-90's when contrast was beautiful...

i like how the functional elements tend to be the lighter colours, as if they are backlit buttons on a piece of old skool equipment...

i think it would look gorgeous on a huge screen, but to truly appreciate it like that, not only do you need to get a matching theme or colour scheme for your browser and desktop, but should dim the lights in your entire room ...

draelas    0

this is wicked., waaaaay easier on the eyes

Electric Jolt    12

Listen guys, Darkside is not possible with icons and flashy sigs and all that. It is black and it is always expected to be white. When it comes down to skins like these dark ones, no icons should be used. I prefer it without the icons, no badges, no emoticons, no stars, etc. I like them and all, but with white you need lots of alternative sources of darker colors to help make white not look too plain. A black theme is easier on the eyes but it is already dark enough, it doesn't need the full use of icons, but text instead. If I want something easy on the eyes, I do not want glowing icons, but text.

Devs, don't work all night long on icons, rid of them altogether in Darkside. We do not need emoticons in a dark skin. That's just one example. Avatars and sigs and dark icons should stay, but the kind of icons that aren't working shouldn't be used at all, being emoticons, stars, badges, you name it. In the case of using this skin, having glowing eye candy wouldn't help.

Damien    26

Happy Birthday Damien

Thanks! :D

Windows7even    17

neowin is now the best looking tech news and forum site on the internet :) TY

MasterC    10

Heh, gonna warn you guys, some things look crappy... if anyone wants to do any css tweaks, please feel free to post em.

Here's my css fix - made a few color changes :p

Singh400    184

Oh. My God. This. Is. Lush. <3

Switched back to normal "dark" colour scheme last night because of the reasons below... Still it is an awesome theme and a brilliant piece of work. And I say this as a non-dev (so I have no idea how hard it was, but I'm sure it wasn't easy).

Listen guys, Darkside is not possible with icons and flashy sigs and all that. It is black and it is always expected to be white. When it comes down to skins like these dark ones, no icons should be used. I prefer it without the icons, no badges, no emoticons, no stars, etc. I like them and all, but with white you need lots of alternative sources of darker colors to help make white not look too plain. A black theme is easier on the eyes but it is already dark enough, it doesn't need the full use of icons, but text instead. If I want something easy on the eyes, I do not want glowing icons, but text.

Devs, don't work all night long on icons, rid of them altogether in Darkside. We do not need emoticons in a dark skin. That's just one example. Avatars and sigs and dark icons should stay, but the kind of icons that aren't working shouldn't be used at all, being emoticons, stars, badges, you name it. In the case of using this skin, having glowing eye candy wouldn't help.

• Like 1