HBO's Game of Thrones

Completely missed this last night...

...whoops. At least we know the Starbucks at Winterfell survived.

16 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Completely missed this last night...

...whoops. At least we know the Starbucks at Winterfell survived.

Not realistic though, they didn't miss-spell the name.

Dragon Starbucks.PNG

I think lots of people missed it, because in that shot what your eyes go to is her face and her expression as she hears them talking about Jon.

So, I re-watched the last few minutes of last night episode .. also the preview for next week and ...

Spoiler

Will we see more dragons?  Are we sure Rhaegal is really dead (no body) ... though he sure did appear to take a lethal shot to the throat.  Could one of the three dragons have laid eggs in the past and now they are a couple of teenage dragons flying around (not really sure of their transitional stages)?

Reason I ask (or ponder) ... during the preview Euron looked unsettled while looking up into the sky vs. his smug grin in yesterdays episode.  Maybe they just equipped Drogon with armor. :) 

There was some good acting, particularly by Clarke, in that episode. Some of the looks on her face were fabulous.

Spoiler

Prophecies are weird in GoT. They can change and be interpreted differently. Part of it was also that Cersei will only have 3 kids, so she'll either lose this one, die, or was faking it the entire time.

Jaime might surprise stab her. Really not sure where his character is mentally right now. He is also thinking that the kid is his, so there's that. Tyrion also happens to be there, so... maybe. He did murder his father and had his last appeal to Cersei. And he is a very clever man. Though not recently. There was the theory that he was making bad decisions on purpose to manipulate Dany, but... it doesn't seem like it now.

Hail the arrival of the Mad Queen who burns down Kings Landing. Runs in the family. Don't know what to expect. Dany just walking up the gates like she did is either really, really dumb and reflects her rage, or she has a plan. But Cersei also always has a plan, and she's just standing there, unless she thinks she's already won. Which means she has a plan. Or we could be expecting too much from the producers, given how The Long Night didn't play out as radically as expected.

Apparently, they're not going to give more information about what happened with the Night King, which makes the theory about Jon distracting the dragon while Arya snuck just a theory. Disappointing.

I'm sick of people on the internet calling Arya a hero. It is the last thing she wants. I don't want to gatekeep Arya fandom, but stop it.

9 hours ago, Jim K said:

So, I re-watched the last few minutes of last night episode .. also the preview for next week and ...

Hide contents

Will we see more dragons?  Are we sure Rhaegal is really dead (no body) ... though he sure did appear to take a lethal shot to the throat.  Could one of the three dragons have laid eggs in the past and now they are a couple of teenage dragons flying around (not really sure of their transitional stages)?

Reason I ask (or ponder) ... during the preview Euron looked unsettled while looking up into the sky vs. his smug grin in yesterdays episode.  Maybe they just equipped Drogon with armor. :) 

Spoiler

I don't know, I saw the preview and it didn't feel like new dragons but who knows?  Maybe it's just Dragon flying up high where they can't hit him as a diversion?

8 hours ago, DPyro said:
  Hide contents

100% Cersei ends up getting killed by her brother.

Spoiler

Yeah, but which one?  We've known it's going to happen as per the prophesy the witch told her.  People expect it'll be Jamie.

Crazy prediction, but maybe The Mountain sees through Arya's disguise and takes her down, wounding her. Sandor (The Dog) could come in and finally get his vengeance on his brother. Then, as he's leaving, decide not to leave Arya to die.

Spoiler

I find it interesting that Arya states that she's not going to return to Winterfell.   Is it because she figures Jon is going to stay down south and is going to stay to watch over him or is she just done with the whole "lady" bit and wants to get away from the hero stuff in the North?

I really wish they would've showed us how the two reacted after the news about Jon, but nope.

Spoiler

So it turns out that the internet has been drastically overthinking for weeks. Years. So many theories...

The surprise twist: No surprise twists! No one has a plan, no one does anything surprising! They all just go exactly in a straight line! Dany just rides her dragon straight at them them. Genius! Cersei has ###### all of a plan beyond "just one need a lucky hit". Genius! Arya has a clever ploy of nothing. Genius! Jon just stands there. Genius! Tyrion has not a single clue. Genius!

More than a bit let down. I had been giving GoT a lot of slack this season, but... meh.

But Dany is totally ######ed and Euron died, so there's that. I think that every remaining character (and the entire city she just depopulated) save Grey Worm wants to murder her. Hail the Mad Queen.

Spoiler

Well, no longer a Dany fan.  Hope she gets knifed by A Girl in the season finale (Emilia Clarke's eyes are green).  She'll have to be assassinated, by someone, I see no other way (unless the show ends with Dany on the Iron Throne).  Really didn't expect her to go all out mad queen after Kings Landing surrendered ... was a bit disappointed (in that plot line).  Sure, she should have "dracarys" Cersei ... but not the whole damn city.  Those that did survive are going to drop dead from emphysema in about ten years

Cersei's demise was very meh ... she deserved much worse.

At least Arya made it out ... just knew they were going to kill her off (as a shock death).  

Anyway, wasn't surprised by any of the deaths ... but that episode was more or less blah.  The only thing that had me on the edge of the seat was Arya's plot line.  Actually just looking forward to it being over now.

This dream scene makes sense (ash vs. snow?)...

Spoiler

Dany has always been a power hungry bitch. Just one people rooted for because she got a real ###### hand dealt to her. You could kinda tell she had lost it in the beginning of the episode, just so withdrawn. Clarke did a great job acting this season.

She's kinda unhinged now, but that runs in the family. It was building up, and they pushed her over the edge (losing Missandei and the dragons, then Jon and Tyrion...) Still, didn't expect her to actually murder the entire city. She does know that she is trying to rule that, right? Or did she just want a lot of undeveloped real estate for urban development?

Amazed that there wasn't something with Cersei and wildfire, which is why I'm so disappointed. She still had some, it exploded. Went out with a whimper.

Still afraid for Arya. Hope she lives. And still hope Sansa wins out. People had commented that she wouldn't be a good leader because she betrayed Jon, but that is why she would be a good leader - she learned how to play the game. Jon totally hasn't. He's so naive he would be a horrible leader.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Not convinced Cersei and Jamie are dead.  She said she wanted her baby to live and Jamie said only thing that matters was them.  Yes, we saw the place calapse around them, but that happened several times with Cersie.  Tho, I think the last episode will be about Danny and John.

Spoiler

You know, you should've expected Dany to lose it, once they started killing off her support group it was going to end bad.  And for whatever reason they only had 6 eps to work with, they're rushing her downfall.   Normally this would be a slow buildup over a whole season with the payoff in the next, but yeah. 

I don't think Jon is on the throne, hell, I think last time we see Jon he probably rides out "North" away from all this BS and with the freefolk.   Though if he is king at the end I'd be cool with it.   Some say he's naive but I don't, I think he's just stubborn in his way, if he says he's going to support Dany he'll do it even though she's going crazy.   At some point he'll have enough and do something.

The only one who should have power is the one who doesn't want it and someone who's at least noble.   Sansa is fine too but really, she's been tainted by the game, so to speak.  She's already crossed or is close to crossing that line that would make her no better than Cersei in the end.  IMO.

Spoiler

If Cersei really is dead, wish she would have went out a different way.  Seems to quick/easy for all the crap she did.  Tho, I am not convinced her or Jaime is dead just yet.  Unlike the other deaths on the show, you see them die or other characters witness the deaths.  Here, you see the area crumbling around them and then the screen goes black.  If they both are dead, sucks Jamie died.  I was liking his character.

I knew Dany was going to go batshit. They've played her like a power-hungry, spoiled brat the
entire time, so the temper tantrum made perfect sense. I just wish Arya had gotten to high
ground and leaped down on the dragon to end Dany's life or something.

Cersei was a complete let-down. I'm hoping she's not dead yet so we can get the death scene
she deserves. And I agree about the wild fire... I was totally expecting Cersei to have laid a trap
with it. Basically, if I can't have the city, neither can you. Who knows, maybe the Throne is
still trapped. We'll see. If she's not dead yet, we know she's going to die, or at least the baby
won't be born, due to the prophecy she got from the witch as a child.

Tyrion... he's my favorite character, but they've really dumbed him down the past couple of
seasons which pisses me off. He HAD to have seen the unhinged, temper tantrum coming.
If this had happened back in seasons 1-4, he totally would have. Grr...

I really like Jon, but I have to agree he's not fit to be King. Some of the best rulers in the real
world have been people who didn't want power, but I think he'd be an exception to that rule
due to his naivety. And if not naivety, then his puppy dog loyalty. When he told Dany she's
his Queen no matter what... that really sealed the deal. He just can't be King. Maybe now
that he's seen her crazy side, he'll be the one to end her.

I expected Arya to stay with the Dog. The fight between him and his brother was inevitable,
and the acting was freaking awesome-- the look on his face when he realized his undead
brother just wasn't going to fall like a normal man was intense. So yea, I expected a tag-team
event to take down the Mountain. And I really wanted a replay of either Arya or the Dog
deciding whether or not to leave the other to die. Still, it was a good way to go out for
the Dog.

As for Arya, maybe she'll go find her blacksmith and settle down after all. <Shrug>

OH! And poor Varys... man, I liked him almost as much as Tyrion. We knew he dies due to
the Red Witch's prophecy, but it didn't specify he'd be freakin' betrayed and go out like that.
If they wanted me to feel sorry for him, they succeeded. He deserved way better.

Edited by McCordRm

13 hours ago, Zagadka said:
  Hide contents

So it turns out that the internet has been drastically overthinking for weeks. Years. So many theories...

The surprise twist: No surprise twists! No one has a plan, no one does anything surprising! They all just go exactly in a straight line! Dany just rides her dragon straight at them them. Genius! Cersei has ###### all of a plan beyond "just one need a lucky hit". Genius! Arya has a clever ploy of nothing. Genius! Jon just stands there. Genius! Tyrion has not a single clue. Genius!

More than a bit let down. I had been giving GoT a lot of slack this season, but... meh.

But Dany is totally ######ed and Euron died, so there's that. I think that every remaining character (and the entire city she just depopulated) save Grey Worm wants to murder her. Hail the Mad Queen.

Spoiler

While i think it's a pretty meh season mostly because it feels extremely rushed i don't have much problem with people not having a mastermind plan (outside of maybe Sensa). The reality is most of the time in real life people don't have a genius plan. Success is often driven by raw skills, numbers and failure. When things start to go south most just fold.

Cersei had a plan and this was her only chance. Getting lucky shots and kill both dragons. Without it she had 0 chance to win. I think the lucky shot bringing one of the dragon down was very very badly written, directed and did not make much sense but the reality is Cersei was not getting another one since the element of surprise was not there anymore. She did what you could logically expect from her and most dictators. She stupidly stood her ground until the very end.

John doesn't really have a plan and never really had one. He needs Dany and he will serve her until he doesn't need her anymore and she becomes a problem. He was saved by Sansa against Ramsay.

I think the fall into madness of Dany was extremely rushed, badly written and directed. But at the end of the day it's not really a surprise. Mad people usually don't have a plan either ;). She got the dragon and she doesn't need anything more anyway. Without him she's not taking the city.

Finally As for Euron he is a total douche. Douches never have a plan and act stupid all the time ;).

Outside of the season feeling extremely rushed the most disappointing element of it is it doesn't seem we will learn more about Bran and the LK with just one episode left. This said if GRRM did not tell them how it's supposed to end then i can understand why they just decided to leave it unclear.

I predict Cersei is dead but not Jamie. He'll kill the mad queen ;)

Edited by LaP

Spoiler

I was disappointed in this episode.

The death of Cersei was nothing like it should have been. It was SO anticlimactic.

Danny is now no better than the monster she was out to kill. She now deserves a good killing.

Arya should have killed Jamie, wore his face to get closer to Cersei, and then killed her.

At this point, I think we've all been set up for a lackluster finale. Very sad.

Maybe she'll try to burn John to test his lineage, and in the process, show that the Imp is one too.

Very sad last season. You can tell it's not by G.R.R.M. at all. These writers suck.

19 minutes ago, Jim K said:
  Hide contents

Completely missed that Varys tried to poison Dany last night ... 

I didn't catch that either... I had to google it just to know what you were talking about lol.

28 minutes ago, Jim K said:
  Hide contents

Completely missed that Varys tried to poison Dany last night ... 

Same 😓 Rewatched that beginning scene with him and now I see it.

5 hours ago, margrave said:
  Hide contents

I was disappointed in this episode.

The death of Cersei was nothing like it should have been. It was SO anticlimactic.

Danny is now no better than the monster she was out to kill. She now deserves a good killing.

Arya should have killed Jamie, wore his face to get closer to Cersei, and then killed her.

At this point, I think we've all been set up for a lackluster finale. Very sad.

Maybe she'll try to burn John to test his lineage, and in the process, show that the Imp is one too.

Very sad last season. You can tell it's not by G.R.R.M. at all. These writers suck.

Spoiler

How do you know Cersei is dead? Did you see a body?

Spoiler

I was wondering what they were referring to. Sneaky. I honestly didn't catch all of that dialog, I assumed she was sneaking out the messages he was writing revealing Jon to the rest of the kingdom. The question is if she knew, which would better explain her reaction to Varys (I don't think she knew, she was just out for blood for people betraying her)

I also wondered about how the hell Jaime snuck out of the camp. I guess he COULD have... but it is another case of characters conveniently teleporting to where they are needed.

It seems like Arya is definitely going to kill Dany. Her eyes, the prophecy about a pale horse coming for her, the significance of the pale horse in other scenes... people have also been talking about Bran warging to the horse, but I doubt that at all. There is no indication that he knew what was happening or that the horse was being controlled. Plus, that would have been too clever for this episode, which they were apparently trying to avoid entirely.

The Internet is not pleased. HBO really screwed up with the 6 episode plan. This feels more like a highlights reel. Like, the Golden Company did exactly NOTHING, so that was a worthwhile plotline, and weirdly a lot more happened in this episode than the entire Winterfell engagement.