Nikon 50mm F1.8D AF Lens

Haha, it's just someone asked me to take pics of their family for them so I thought it'd be a good idea to get a portrait lens :p

I just looked a bit and it seems a really great lens... There's obviously more experienced people in these forums that will inform you... but I might actually buy this too!!! I'm just a teenager... I don't really have many things to spend my money on... and if I don't spend it now I'll buy something stupid later on down the road... 160 bucks (Canadian) is chump change when your working and in highschool haha!! I have an older 50mm 1.4 my uncle gave me, but I may buy this just for the AF...

I'd say go for it, I'm assuming your shooting with a DX... which means the 50mm is like a 75... which is great for portraits!! Some people may say a longer focal length... but I'm sure you already knew that...

Yup the D5000 has a crop factor of 1.5 so all your lenses you use on there are comparable to the lenses on an FX format camera e.g. D3 when you multiply the focal length by 1.5... so my 70-300 VRII is like a 105-450 on FX... so if I were to put my 70-300 on a D3 it would act as a 70-300 but since it's on my D90 I get a lot more "reach"... 1.5x more reach to be exact

Exactly... although to you it doesn't mean much because you're always using your DX camera... but if you were to say pick up a D3 with a 55-200 (non DX lens) then you'll be all wierded out because it doesn't seem to zoom as much as when you used your D5000... e.g. it will look wider...

But DX lenses don't really translate over to FX well... so you'll still get the same apparent view but you won't get full quality... on say the D3 it will automatically crop the DX lens so your 55-200 still looks like a 90-300 BUT if you get a lens MEANT for FX such as my 70-300 it will infact look like a 70-300 on FX but again, on my DX it comes up as a 105-450 because of the crop factor... :)

...unless it's a Nikon DX labeled lens, then the crop factor is already figured in, so a 50mm DX is a 50mm lens, not a 75mm.

is that right though? sorry I may be wrong, and I am on a lot of Codeine right now cause I just had my wisdom teeth taken out LOL but if say you get the 10-24mm DX lens... I don't think its been figured in already... I am pretty sure its still like a 15mm-36mm... I only say this because 10mm seems... really wide... LOL especially since the 13mm "Holy grail" f/5.6 is hailed for being such a wide lens :p ... I could have misunderstood what you said though (:

Keeping to that idea of being labeled DX... the 50mm 1.8D AF lens your looking at is an 'FX' lens so yes it will look like "75mm" on your D5000 haha (:

That lens is my favorite little lens. I have lenses costing 10 times as much I don't get the use out of that I do with that 50mm 1.8. It really is wonderful.

is that right though? sorry I may be wrong, and I am on a lot of Codeine right now cause I just had my wisdom teeth taken out LOL but if say you get the 10-24mm DX lens... I don't think its been figured in already... I am pretty sure its still like a 15mm-36mm... I only say this because 10mm seems... really wide... LOL especially since the 13mm "Holy grail" f/5.6 is hailed for being such a wide lens

That's at least what I've been told. I own a Nikon D90, and both a 50mm DX and a 50mm non-DX and can see the difference. The 50mm DX looks like a 50mm should, and the 50mm non-DX lens on the D90 does seem like it is more along the lines of a 75mm.

I am still lusting after the 10.5 MM DX http://www.adorama.com/NK105DXU.html and yes, that is a darn wide lens.

That's at least what I've been told. I own a Nikon D90, and both a 50mm DX and a 50mm non-DX and can see the difference. The 50mm DX looks like a 50mm should, and the 50mm non-DX lens on the D90 does seem like it is more along the lines of a 75mm.

I am still lusting after the 10.5 MM DX http://www.adorama.com/NK105DXU.html and yes, that is a darn wide lens.

Well I mean if you have both lenses and can SEE there is a difference then there is no arguing haha, there's probably some weird reason for that, I'm not sure, but no yeah the 10.5 is pretty wide, I don't really like fish eye though, maybe as a novelty but I wouldn't (right now) spend that much on a fisheye haha, but yeah I read in the description that the 10.5mm is like a 16mm in 35mm format (which is equal to FX I BELIEVE)... so i don't know why sometimes the DX format looks as it should (like your 50mm) but in other cases it doesn't e.g. with this 10.5mm DX fisheye

I did wonder what DX meant, I thought it was like "deluxe" or something :laugh:

LOL! I think I thought the same thing when I first got my camera :p

And the D thing, that's to do with measuring depth?? :s

In a sense, I actually don't know too much about this... but a tiny bit... one thing, I've never actually seen newer lenses labeled "D" and that's because (I think) that every lens now adays is "D" so they don't bother labeling it now... I think the only change this lens has opposed to one without "D" is essentially what you said, it is just a way of the lens being able to tell the camera at what distance it is focused at... so I guess like in your camera info (digitally) it will say the subject was in focus at 4.9 feet from the lens or whatever and it knows this because the lens was a "D" lens... a more important/useful feature of this I guess is for when you are using flash... because if the camera knows how far/close the subject it is it can more easily calculate how strong of a flash to use... that's just my guess though don't quote me on that.!!

Ok that's cool, I guess that comes in hand for Flash with TTL metering? :)

yup, I edited my response before I read this, I mentioned how yeah the flash metering will be more accurate this way :)

I saw that you wrote you had a D5000? If so, the 50mm lens you bought won't autofocus on your camera. Still a great lens to own, just no AF since the D5000 doesn't have a built in motor.

I saw that you wrote you had a D5000? If so, the 50mm lens you bought won't autofocus on your camera. Still a great lens to own, just no AF since the D5000 doesn't have a built in motor.

I was thinking the same thing.

The nikon 50mm F1.8 AF-S G lens does have an internal motor (or there is a sigma equivalent) but more pricey though.